berweik

Monitor Blinkin on and off randomly

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:38 pm

Hi there,
i just got my first Rapsberry Pi 2 Model B today. Im very new to all of this, so ill try to describe as precise as possible.
I was very excited to get this little thin up and running. Did everything I was supposed. Loaded NOOBS onto the sd. Plugged in everything. Started it.

The first thing I noticed was, that the Resolution was strange, a bit smaller, with black around all four sides on the screen and green stripes in the black.
Then when eveything was up and running the Monitor keept turning on and off, along with a strage little very high sort of buzzing. I though it was the RPi first, but it was the monitor (its a Samsung SyncMaster T220, HDMI - DVI Cable).

So thats where I am now, I cant really do anything with it, monitor keeps turning off or going black every couple of seconds, randomly, its not regular. A littel buzzing out of the Monitor. The red PWR LED is permanently on, i use a 5v 2.1A power supply. And the monitor shows absolutly no problems at all if I use it with my laptop.

Does anyone have a solution? I did read other posts, one that described the same problem didnt get any answers....

I hope anyone can help me, Im unfortunately very new to this and Im not sure what the problem might be.

Cheers.
B.

eupton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Monitor Blinkin on and off randomly

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:37 pm

berweik wrote:The first thing I noticed was, that the Resolution was strange, a bit smaller, with black around all four sides on the screen and green stripes in the black.
Then when eveything was up and running the Monitor keept turning on and off, along with a strage little very high sort of buzzing. I though it was the RPi first, but it was the monitor (its a Samsung SyncMaster T220, HDMI - DVI Cable).
Sounds like you might have an issue with HDMI signal strength. You could try a different display or cable, or set config_hdmi_boost in your config.txt as described here:

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

under "Interference visible on a HDMI or DVI monitor".

berweik

Re: Monitor Blinkin on and off randomly

Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:33 am

That seems to be the resolution to my problem. Now everything seems to work fine. No more of the problems I had befor. Thanks very much!

(It was the HDMI boost setting in the config file that I had to raise from the default 4 to 7. I could also adjust the borderless resolution. Im slowly learning and getting into this, so sorry for the noobish question, but thanks a lot! )

Return to “Troubleshooting”