Page 1 of 2

epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:30 pm
by BMS Doug
I finally got my Pi2 working (older SD card with dist-upgrade).

I decided to try out Epiphany browser, it's much faster than on the B+ and I thought a good test would be a fairly graphics heavy page so I went to my T-Rex blog entry.
(about 10 photos and a 1min embedded you tube clip).
everything opened at reasonable speed and I was pleasantly suprised that the you tube clip played OK. Expanding the clip to full screen also worked and it re-played equally well.
then the browser just closed, sending me back to the X desktop without any accompanying message or warning.

I've been using Epiphany without a problem since (for about an hour) (and have written this post on it) but I haven't yet tried replaying the you tube video (I'll do that next and see if I can repeat the crash).

The browsing on a Pi2 is much better.

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:38 pm
by BMS Doug
Repeated twice, load the page and view the you-tube clip, when attempting to rewind the clip using the scroll bar the windows crashes.

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:06 am
by gkreidl
I've noticed some crashes (B/B+ so far, my Pi2 is still on the way) with the latest release of the web engine, when using the web video controls (moving forward or backward in a video). I've not reported it to the developers yet, because I haven't been able to reproduce it cleanly (may work 10 times and then crash etc.)

I'm also testing, if it can be avoided by setting certain environment variables.

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:19 am
by EdwinJ85
I can confirm this happens on a Pi 2 on the latest version of Raspbian. Rewind or fast forward causes a crash of the browser.

:(

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:36 am
by gkreidl
Meanwhile I've sent a bug report to the developers (also including another problem that only occurs on the Pi2).

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:33 pm
by DougieLawson
I was getting the same segfaults on a RPI2 running Raspbian Jessie.

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:19 am
by Chris_777
I can also confirm this happens on a Pi 2 on the latest version of Raspbian. Rewind or fast forward causes a crash of the browser and seems to do it very consistently.

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:14 am
by cacophony555
Just did a fresh Raspbian setup on my brand new Pi 2. Epiphany crashes constantly. Pretty much every site I go to crashes the browser before the page finishes loading. The only site I've seen load without a crash is google search results. Pretty disappointing.

I see this on the console with every crash: Failed to open vchiq instance
The same error seems to be preventing the opening of minecraft.

Any ideas?

Maybe related: I did delete the user "pi" and make a new user, but I did a "sudo visudo" and replaced "pi" with my new user on this line:

Code: Select all

pi  ALL=ALL(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:57 am
by gkreidl
cacophony555 wrote:Just did a fresh Raspbian setup on my brand new Pi 2. Epiphany crashes constantly. Pretty much every site I go to crashes the browser before the page finishes loading. The only site I've seen load without a crash is google search results. Pretty disappointing.

I see this on the console with every crash: Failed to open vchiq instance
The same error seems to be preventing the opening of minecraft.

Any ideas?

Maybe related: I did delete the user "pi" and make a new user, but I did a "sudo visudo" and replaced "pi" with my new user on this line:

Code: Select all

pi  ALL=ALL(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -a -G video user
where user is your new user name.

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:00 am
by cacophony555
Thanks. I did find that in another thread and it worked. Was this only an issue b/c of the new user I created?

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:06 am
by gkreidl
cacophony555 wrote:Thanks. I did find that in another thread and it worked. Was this only an issue b/c of the new user I created?
Yes.

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:25 am
by Fidelius
Also without using videos in the browser, Epiphany tends to crash often on my Pi2.

So I'm using Firefox Icewasesel now: slower (but much faster than on the Pi1 and hence usuable) but stable. :-)

But I am glad for this thread, because first I suspected my Pi2's overclocking ("turbo" via raspi-config) could be causing these Epiphany crashes. Not so, just a software problem then.

Isn't Epiphany partly hand-optimised for the ARM(6) ? Could be a problem when switching from ARM6 to ARM7. I could be wrong of course. Does anybody know the "critical area" for these crashes?

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:35 am
by gkreidl
Fidelius wrote:Also without using videos in the browser, Epiphany tends to crash often on my Pi2.

So I'm using Firefox Icewasesel now: slower (but much faster than on the Pi1 and hence usuable) but stable. :-)

But I am glad for this thread, because first I suspected my Pi2's overclocking ("turbo" via raspi-config) could be causing these Epiphany crashes. Not so, just a software problem then.

Isn't Epiphany partly hand-optimised for the ARM(6) ? Could be a problem when switching from ARM6 to ARM7. I could be wrong of course. Does anybody know the "critical area" for these crashes?
Without an example that can be reproduced it's hard to tell. Start it from a terminal and watch for error messages, when it crashes.
There is no ARM6 optimization that I know of. The special RPi features are GPU related (video, images).
I've run a lot of tests on the RPi2, before I published kweb 1.6.3 (using the same webkit engine with the same settings now as epiphany in kweb3) and I haven't seen a single crash except for the known bug, when you use the position slider in web videos (they're working on it).
There was one other bug (only on RPi2) but it has vanished with the latest kernel update.

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:04 am
by Fidelius
gkreidl wrote:Without an example that can be reproduced it's hard to tell. Start it from a terminal and watch for error messages, when it crashes.
I'm going to try to collect such crash messages. They happened in normal "browsing mode", i.e. just standard web-sites without multi-media content, like the Amazon shop for example.
There is no ARM6 optimization that I know of.
Mr. Upton mentioned it in his Epiphany anouncement in September 2014 :
Eben Upton wrote:Epiphany brings a host of neat features to Raspberry Pi, including:
[..]
- Hardware-accelerated video decoding
- ARMv6-optimized blitting functions
[..]
ARM assembly language optimisations were provided (as always) by Ben Avison of RISC OS Open.
gkreidl wrote:There was one other bug (only on RPi2) but it has vanished with the latest kernel update.
Did this Kernel bug also (tend to) crash Epiphany? Because I only recently updated the Pi'2 kernel and maybe my earlier mentioned Epiphany crashed were caused by the Kernel actually?

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:14 am
by gkreidl
Fidelius wrote: Did this Kernel bug also (tend to) crash Epiphany? Because I only recently updated the Pi'2 kernel and maybe my earlier mentioned Epiphany crashed were caused by the Kernel actually?
Yes,I always tested kweb3 and epiphany. I had already reported the bug to the developers but it has vanished after the latest kernel upgrade (not rpi-update, just apt-get),

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:23 am
by Fidelius
gkreidl wrote:Yes,I always tested kweb3 and epiphany. I had already reported the bug to the developers but it has vanished after the latest kernel upgrade (not rpi-update, just apt-get),
Very well, and thanks for reporting.
Since I always do just your mentioned "apt-get update & apt-get dist-upgrade" maybe Epiphany runs stable now for me, too. Which would make my intended collecting of crash messages somewhat difficult, but all the better. Time will tell.

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:48 pm
by jon wise
Epiphany runs on my Pi2 until I try to use my BT email. I login OK but when I try to open an email, the page is blank and there are no responses from the tabs. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:00 pm
by jon wise
Following my earlier post about a problem using BT email, I have just noticed that the advert on the right hand side of the page has not appeared and displaying this may be causing the problem. Does this suggest a solution?

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:32 pm
by Oldbitcollector
Confirmed here as well..

Unstable with youtube.
Plays the first video fine usually, then doesn't open the next video if you click an additional link from the right-hand column.

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:04 pm
by gkreidl
Oldbitcollector wrote:Confirmed here as well..

Unstable with youtube.
Plays the first video fine usually, then doesn't open the next video if you click an additional link from the right-hand column.
Confirmed. This does not happen in kweb3, so it's not a bug of the engine but of epiphany itself. I will add it to my bug reports.

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:11 pm
by Oldbitcollector
What makes this bug even more interesting is that I was able to log into Facebook and play multiple videos from my page.
It seems centered around something related to Youtube's interaction.

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:17 am
by florca
See also this thread:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 6&t=100895

I think some of the epiphany problems on RPi2 may relate to "fast scroll" - both ephiany and kweb3 will appear to loop on certain page sequences if the "Webkit - Experimental features" are enabled on kweb3, but kweb3 loads them fine with these disabled. No video involved.

I've loaded the latest kernel and firmware (apt-get update / rpi-update) and symptoms persist.

I'm really happy with the RPi 2 - been using it as my main desktop (browsing / light editing) machine for the past few days very comfortably!

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:37 am
by gkreidl
florca wrote:See also this thread:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 6&t=100895

I think some of the epiphany problems on RPi2 may relate to "fast scroll" - both ephiany and kweb3 will appear to loop on certain page sequences if the "Webkit - Experimental features" are enabled on kweb3, but kweb3 loads them fine with these disabled. No video involved.

I can provide examples if useful - doesn't happen every time, and seems to involve a sequence of links rather than just navigating straight to a URL.

I've loaded the latest kernel and firmware (apt-get update / rpi-update) and symptoms persist.

I'm really happy with the RPi 2 - been using it as my main desktop (browsing / light editing) machine for the past few days very comfortably!
Can you provide a few examples, please? I'm preparing another bug report for the RPi epiphany developers.

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:43 am
by florca
gkreidl wrote: Can you provide a few examples, please? I'm preparing another bug report for the RPi epiphany developers.
If you navigate to here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... y)/page283

and then select one of the earlier page numbers in the top right (say 282) it will often, but not always, loop...

Javascript & Experimental features need to be enabled in kweb3 for it to fail. Epiphany loops fairly consistently

Update: If it doesn't loop first time, try clicking around different page numbers - it should loop after a few hops...

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:51 pm
by danh
Just for the record I have experienced epiphany crashing when playing youtube videos on the pi1, but it is not predictably reproducible. As for playing video on YouTube I find if I right click a link in YouTube and click open link then the video will play, but if I just left click on the link epiphany goes all funny and a black screen just flashes at me.
Hth Dan