gkreidl

Re: epiphany browser on Pi2 crashes

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:24 pm

danh wrote:Just for the record I have experienced epiphany crashing when playing youtube videos on the pi1, but it is not predictably reproducible. As for playing video on YouTube I find if I right click a link in YouTube and click open link then the video will play, but if I just left click on the link epiphany goes all funny and a black screen just flashes at me.
Hth Dan
Are those the links (recommendations) on the right side when you are one a video page?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

danh

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:04 pm

Yes

gkreidl

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:24 pm

danh wrote:Yes
Known problem.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

danh

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:23 pm

I know. I was just suggesting a temporary work around.
Dan

Oldbitcollector

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:17 pm

Dan, Thanks for the workaround.
I had also noticed that opening the next video in a new tab was working as well.

Jeff
My Ongoing Raspberry Pi Reference: http://www.ledgerlabs.us/raspberrypi

magone

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:55 am

Hi All,

I don't know if it could be helpful: I reproduce the Epiphany browser crash opening a youtube video and clicking on center of embedded video player bar. The video starts and goes well, the window crashes only if I click on video bar.

I installed a fresh latest Raspbian release (16-02) on Pi 2.

Thanks

Alb

tonybkent

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Thanks gkreidl.

As you suggested, I successfully did:

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -a -G video user
(where user = my new user name) after I noticed that when logged in as a newly created user and using Epiphany, many web pages simply closed after they opened. Using the built-in "pi" user, the same pages always opened perfectly.

Now the new user can run Epiphany perfectly.

Pixa

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:03 pm

So, did anyone find a solution to problem where Epiphany crashes while rewind or fastforwad youtube video?

Thanks,

gkreidl

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:09 pm

Pixa wrote:So, did anyone find a solution to problem where Epiphany crashes while rewind or fastforwad youtube video?

Thanks,
There is no solution except waiting for a bug fix update.

gkreidl

Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:05 am

Todays apt-get update/upgrade brought a complete new set of webkit3 and Javascript libraries. Maybe some of the crashes and bugs reported here are gone now (I didn't have the time for testing yet).

LDighera

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:38 pm

gkreidl wrote:Todays apt-get update/upgrade brought a complete new set of webkit3 and Javascript libraries. Maybe some of the crashes and bugs reported here are gone now (I didn't have the time for testing yet).
I have had a reproducible issue with epiphany browser since running the new Raspberry Pi 2. Every time I save a web page it crashes. Thankfully, it does save the page though.

Additionally, when playing YouTube videos, the right-arrow Play symbol and its surrounding red box remain in the center of the video.

Has anyone seen these anomalies?

Any known fixes?

ADVthanksANCe

Larry
There is no expedient to which a man will not resort
to avoid the real labor of thinking.
-- Sir Joshua Reynolds

electronicman

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:41 pm

I have also been having problems with this. Just started a couple of weeks ago.
When reading a web page the browser just closes. It appears to be OK when using my other Pi's, none of which are Pi2's.
David

Haemogoblin

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:12 pm

I'm running a RPI2 and have been experiencing random closes in Epiphany and Chromium, I can be doing something and suddenly the browser will shut down without and reason.

One thing I have noticed, is that over time Epiphany seems to gobble up the computers memory and eventually slows to a crawl. At least that is how it seem when i brought up the task manager and found VM-Size was around 500-600mb. Even after shutting down the browser and starting it up again, it still claimed the same amount of VM memory. Only after a restart, does it return to about 150mb.

I'm not sure what is going on, but part of me wonders if it is not memory related. Wordpress certainly crashes both browsers with some constancy.
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again, shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more, what do I have?
Baldrick: Some beans

HappyAndrew

Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:09 pm

If epiphany is the web browser with the new jessie OS on a Pi 2B then not only does it cause it to crash, but it also messes up the VNC service. First time I managed to recover it by deleting files in the Download file, but this time I have not got a clue. I think it might be that it is filling the micro SD card up with stuff it is getting from the internet. Grasping at straws a little.... but I guess I have another day being wasted to try and get this all back again.... (will avoid the web browser from now on!)

callahanp

Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:15 pm

New Raspberry Pi 3

Epiphany browser crashes repeatedly.
uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.1.19-v7+ #858 SMP Tue Mar 15 15:56:00 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

The browser crashes with a segmentation fault after numerous messages of various types

I tried to attach a .log or text file containing log of dmesg and the log from starting the browser in the terminal but neither type of attachment is allowed. How do you attach a log file to posts?

Here's a couple of questions I'm hoping are in the spirit of this forum:

1. What are the next steps for learning to diagnose the root cause of a problem like this?
2. How would you approach getting more information in order to diagnose this problem?

Note that In question 1 I am not asking how to diagnose the problem, but how to learn how to do the diagnosis. In other words, what do I need to learn?
Note that in question 2 I am not asking you to diagnose the problem.

nigel123321

Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:26 pm

its the same on raspberry pi 3 ..you can watch youtube vids and halfway into the vid the browser just quits..

its the same with browsing..just quits for no reason no error.

Return to “Troubleshooting”