turbocrow

Re: RPi 2 Model B Locking Up

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:09 pm

very good will have to try using a wifi adapter myself.could be causing my problem also.

mrlinux2u

Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:22 pm

@dom

Thanks to your advice of resetting to 900mhz my Rpi is still alive and kicking using the onboard nic. It's weird how I could run it @ 1000mhz for fairly long periods of time - but I'm more than happy to keep it ticking along at it's standard speed.

Many thanks.

Paul

a.k.a. mrlinux2u

MaxK1

Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:26 pm

Just got my Pi 2. With no time spent researching "optimal" overclocking, I just used 1100MHz and that turned out to be just a little too much. That's not the point though. When it does go in the dumper, it's more of "fizzle" than a "bang" like on a B+. So if you experience "odd" behavior, it may be overclocked a tad too high, but not quite enough to totally lock up all of a sudden. When I have more time, I'll try for 1100MHz by adjusting other settings. (All my other Pi's are running at 1100 just fine)

At 1050MHz, it seems ok and the performance gain is quite noticeable.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

kikikaka

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:15 pm

I was first using the Raspbian with orig kernel ver (3.18.5-v7+), and 'pi2' overclock setting in rasp-config.
It was running fine .
I just upgrade it to 3.18.6 (usiing rpi-update) , it hangs after boot .. or after 30s or so. Remove the overclock setting, it is fine.
Seems the newer kernel is less tolerance to overclocking.

turbocrow

Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:30 pm

new cable lasted 5 mins longer so frustrating

captainsemtex

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:27 am

@stevecody: What chipset does your Canakit wifi adapter have?

I just got a Canakit wifi adapter with RT5370 chipset and it works perfectly with my RPi2... in fact it's faster than any other wifi adapter that I have.

Regards

turbocrow

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:54 pm

Still of now use after getting it on release day :(. I only want to use it has a PLEX viewer lol

stevecody

Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:06 pm

Sorry for not responding sooner. I don't have the physical adapter in front of me right now but I believe it was loading the rt2800usb driver. I'll track down the interface tonight and provide better information.

Steve
captainsemtex wrote:@stevecody: What chipset does your Canakit wifi adapter have?

I just got a Canakit wifi adapter with RT5370 chipset and it works perfectly with my RPi2... in fact it's faster than any other wifi adapter that I have.

Regards
Steve Cody
RPi B rev 1 - running Apache/MRTG - http://codycrew.net/mrtg (Network utilization, temperature probes)
RPi B rev 2 - for experimenting
RPi B+ - for experimenting
RPi2 - Security Camera using RPI noIR camera and motion

pluggy

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:01 pm

I'd have said the overclocking was a dead cert. It should have been mentioned from the outset.

First rule of network administration, never over clock, buy better hardware....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

turbocrow

Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:43 pm

Got it working bought a 8gb super fast Sandisk micro SD card lol sorted the issue !. So happy now got Berry boot dual boot with resplex / rasbian.

stevecody

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:04 pm

Well, it was working fine for about a week. I have the RTL8192CU driver for wifi and use the RPI camera with motion for recording. I shut it down and restarted it and it started panicking at boot, after initializing the wifi. I pulled the wifi adapter and it would stay running and start crashing again as soon as I reinserted and booted with wifi.

I took an RPi B+ I had, connected everything and it booted and worked fine. No crashes. So, I did an aptitude safe-upgrade and rebooted. Everything continued to work so I put it all back on the RPi 2. So far, so good. No crashes. I'll continue to monitor it. It's still running motion with the camera. I have a very fast class 10 32gb memory card. It's one I've used with my Gopro Hero4 Silver.

I'm not overclocking and have not overclocked this RPi2.
I'm using a 2.4a power adapter.

[email protected]:~# uname -a
Linux rpi2 3.18.7-v7+ #755 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:20:48 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
Steve Cody
RPi B rev 1 - running Apache/MRTG - http://codycrew.net/mrtg (Network utilization, temperature probes)
RPi B rev 2 - for experimenting
RPi B+ - for experimenting
RPi2 - Security Camera using RPI noIR camera and motion

HiTechRV

Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:23 am

Thi PI 2 browns out easily, even on a great power supply and peripherals that will run fine on a B+. Try using raspi-config to set overclocking to the minimum, speed, with no over voltage. Works on mine. I got the popular 7 port powered hub many here use with the 3 amp supply. Still not enough. I run the PI 2 on it's own 2 amp quality supply and the USB devices on the powered hum with its own 3 amp supply. This does fine until I start rebuilding kernels with make -j6. half way through it browns out with various segmentation errors. Reducing the clock speed fixes that, but it's a shame. make -j6 with a streamlined .config file (but still full support for all my devices) completes in 7 minutes on full power, the few times it actually completes (from a cold boot). I frequently get Oops: 5 [#1] PREEMPT SMP ARM - in another SSH session which starts all the fun.

aoakley

Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:46 pm

Similar issue being tracked here, with screenshots and logs:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=104212&p=736842
Andrew Oakley - Cotswold Raspberry Jam, Gloucestershire - http://www.cotswoldjam.org

Return to “Troubleshooting”