Razenko

RPI2 Boot issues

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi,

My Raspberry Pi 2 Model B just arrived, and I'm having some issues with it.
I installed the latest Raspbian release on a brand new 16 GB Transcend Class 10 (UHS-1) card and booted up my Pi.

First boot up went fine, ran the configuration and installed a couple of things.
Once I issued a reboot the PI would not boot up. Instead it kept hanging in the boot sequence giving read errors.
I plugged out the power and booting went fine again.
Trying a couple of more reboots, it seems that my Pi is having these boot issues about 40% of the time. Have tried it with different power supply's as well, but it doesn't make any difference.

I'm not sure what's causing these random boot failures, Is my card reader broken? The MicroSD card incompatible?

drgeoff

Re: RPI2 Boot issues

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:47 pm

If all the PSUs were connected with a same USB to micro-USB cable try another one that is shorter and/or thicker.

moojuiceuk

Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:43 am

I too have experienced intermittent boot issues with my new RPI2. I've got a Transcend 32gb card from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CES44EO , used Win32DiskImager to copy the latest Raspian (2015-01-31) to it. SHA-1 checksum is correct on my download.

Pi is set up with serial-usb lead (using putty as a serial console), Ethernet, power and SD card connected. No USB or HDMI in use - just running headless. PSU is the official 2 Amp white Stontronics adaptor. System boots fine on the first go. Filesystem will expand and system reboots. First time I tried, on the reboot it failed to boot. Wiped card, reinstalled image file to SD card again. Booted system, expanded filesystem and rebooted. This time it rebooted cleanly and would then reboot again another 2 times (just straightforward sudo reboot). Subsequent reboot produced the following: http://pastebin.com/CG4TCyn3

I power cycled the pi at this point and then it came up without a hitch, giving me a working login prompt again. There appears to be some sort of intermittent issue here. I'll start testing other SD cards and my other Stontronics PSU tomorrow to see if that makes a difference. I'm rather baffled at the moment!

Xiol

Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi,

I'm also having these issues on a brand new Samsung 16GB Evo Class 10 (specifically this one).

Like the OP, I'm having intermittent read issues on boot. Sometimes it'll come up fine and I'll have no issues once it's up - for example, I can write a 10G file to the SD card with no errors.

It does seem to happen about 40-50% of the time and will require a hard reboot to fix, at which point fsck runs to fix filesystem corruption.

I'm using the 'official' Raspberry Pi power adapter, bought from Pimoroni, that supplies 2A @ 5V, so I don't believe this is a power issue unless I've been supplied with a dud!

caldimerda

Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:16 pm

It could be I'm in the same boat. mmc errors from my Qumox 32mb card - the third I've bought, the others being fine in a Pi 1 B and B+ - as was this one until I updated the image and popped it into my pi2.

There don't seem to be problems after it's booted. But if they occur at boot, the system hangs.

steev

Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:01 am

Xiol wrote:Hi,

I'm also having these issues on a brand new Samsung 16GB Evo Class 10 (specifically this one).

Like the OP, I'm having intermittent read issues on boot. Sometimes it'll come up fine and I'll have no issues once it's up - for example, I can write a 10G file to the SD card with no errors.

It does seem to happen about 40-50% of the time and will require a hard reboot to fix, at which point fsck runs to fix filesystem corruption.

I'm using the 'official' Raspberry Pi power adapter, bought from Pimoroni, that supplies 2A @ 5V, so I don't believe this is a power issue unless I've been supplied with a dud!
Yeah, same issue here with the Samsung Evo. When I can get it to boot up it seems to work fine, but during boot up at around the "Populating udev" stage it gets corrupted most of the time.

I tried with a 2012 Nexus 7 charger (5V 2A) and a special 5.25V 1A Adafruit power supply made for the Pi

musicrab

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:43 pm

RPI2 random boot issues here too. With SAMSUNG EVO 8GB MB-MP08D (korea) from modmypi (NOOBS). Using pukka PSU.

50% failure rate approx - just lots of "disk" errors (not sure of exact error - too many to list; green/yellow light stays on for a couple of minutes). I've had to reinstall once.

EDIT: given up with the Samsung card. Just deep-formatted and tried again. On second reboot loads of mmc errors. Will request my money back from modmypi.

An ancient sandisk card that appears reliable (20 odd shutdowns, reboots) is the SDSDQ-016G-FFP.

sdimse

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:02 pm

Add me to the list having trouble. I bought 2 Pi2 and 2 32 GB Transcend class 10 cards. I get the boot error read problem about 50% of the time, swapping the 2 cards in each Pi2. Both cards work fine in my PiB+, and the no-name 8GB card I got for my Pi works without issues on each of the Pi2. It is a definite incompatibility. Anyone figure out a fix or do I have to get new cards, and if so what 32 GB cards are known to work?

musicrab

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:02 pm

I think its a case of finding a card that works by trial and error. If you can get your money back on the Transcend cards then do.
This is the card that works for me (ancient but I don't need a fast card). They do a 32GB version.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSDQ-0 ... B002NTP06K
(EDIT: NB. returns are easy with Amazon).

There's a list of cards here - probably doesn't mean much regarding the PI2
http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards#Working_ ... g_SD_cards

alexchen1

Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:11 am

I have the same problem with Kingston SDC10/32GB, 10% of boot error.
The card is works fine on RPi B+ that we've used very long time.

I hope staff of Raspberry Foundation can help to solve this problem ASAP, it it very important to me.

graham-h

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:37 pm

Same here with a PNY 16G card SDU16G1OPER-EF. Probably 1 in 5 boots fail with apparent card errors, but once started there doesn't seem to be a problem, ie no disk errors.

sacokid

Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:46 am

My experience is that the PI 2 will not boot NOOBS 1.4 from 2 PNY cards ( 32 G and 16 G). The green light flashes 7-8 times and then repeats this sequence. However, both cards were used successful with an A+ and a B 512 using the same cables, display, power supply (2 a), and keyboard as used with PI 2. The PI 2 clearly has a problem.
Last edited by sacokid on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:55 am

Start with a fresh clean card. Download NOOBS 1.4 and try that.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

graham-h

Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:13 am

sacokid wrote:My experience is that the PI 2 will not boot NOOBS from 2 PNY cards ( 32 G and 16 G). The green light flashes 7-8 times and then repeats this sequence. However, both cards were used successful with an A+ and a B 512 using the same cables, display, power supply (2 a), and keyboard as used with PI 2. The PI 2 clearly has a problem.
I had this issue on day 1. On first power-up we got a desktop for a few seconds then blank. 8 flashes indicates a problem with the RAM, apparently. I got it whether or not there was an SD card inserted. I thought it might have to do with an apparently untidy bit of soldering and was about to send the thing back. However on Day 2 all seemed well. (Did attacking the solder blob with a fingernail have an effect?) Not using NOOBS but the stock Raspbian and RISCOS also works on the same SD card.
Solderblobsmall.jpg
Solderblobsmall.jpg (63.9 KiB) Viewed 8181 times

sacokid

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Start with a fresh clean card. Download NOOBS 1.4 and try that.
I was using NOOBS 1.4 on a newly formatted SD. First tried to boot on the RPI2 which failed and then inserted the SD into an A+ which booted correctly. Next, I inserted the SD into a B 512 which also booted correctly. I repeated this process with two SD cards (PNY).

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:05 pm

If you now run the 2B from the power supply for the A+ with the (known good) NOOBS microsd card, what happens?
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

copland

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Same here, qumox 16gb. Works fine booting riscos, no errors in windows either.

usvi

Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Hello,
I recently bought Transcend 16GB microSDHC Class 10 memory card. I installed latest edition of RetroPie (retropie-v3.0rc1-rpi2.img) but I kept getting these mmcblk0 110 errors like 1/3 of the reboots:

Then I issued sudo rpi-update which updated kernel and firmware file. After this I run automatical testing for 54 reboots. Not a single failure. So I think updating the kernel and firmware may help some with problems with the memory card.

DreaminGeek

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:45 pm

Same problem here with a Transcent 16GB Class 10. I requested a replacement before finding this thread. Of course same issue with replacement. I can confirm that so far, rpi-update seems to have fixed my issue. No more errors during boot up.

On a side note, before the rpi-update, I left it throwing errors long enough that it turned in to garbled characters and wouldn't boot at all. :D

JudoJ

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Hey,
Just wanted to confirm what user "usvi" mentioned, where sudo rpi-update did the trick! I've successfully rebooted about 15 times with the same memory card, power supply and Raspi (Pi2). I also tried different power downs, pulling the power plug after boot to the login prompt, doing a clean reboot, doing a clean power down, etc. Not one boot failure after update. Thank you USVI for the info, you're awesome! Saved me a lot of googling.

J

TommyAllen

Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:20 am

Hey guys, I'm having the same problem, re-flashing the SD card with a new image allowed me to log on, I was able to install TighVNCServer, login via SSH and do sudo rpi-update and everything went well, but inital reboot threw up different mmc0 Errors and a register dump from the SD card

http://i.imgur.com/wzpk8Tp.jpg

Transcend Premium microSDHC Class 10 UHS-I
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C ... ge_o00_s00

Return to “Troubleshooting”