jpsa

Breakage to cifs mount

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:33 am

I've been successfully using a cifs mounted file system (actually a flash drive plugged into my router) for a few weeks, but after an "apt-get upgrade" yesterday this stopped working. The solution for me seems to be to add

sec=ntlm

to the mount options in fstab. Presumably this used to be the default at previous versions?

GMan2XS

Re: Breakage to cifs mount

Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Thank you jpsa so much for the PM telling me about this thread.

I added it to the problem entry on my Pi2 and restarted autofs and it works!

I'll edit my post in the other thread to add a link to this one.

stebux

Re: Breakage to cifs mount

Thu May 07, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi JPSA, same thing has happened to me with a GoFlex drive, which has been operating successfully for over two years without a hitch. Have recently upgraded the system and now cannot access the drive.
Message is ‘mount error(13): Permission denied. Refer to mount.cifs(8) etc.
I have checked all permissions, access rights, executables, IP addresses etc, all are exactly as defined in the instructions above yet cannot re-gain access.
Have any changes been made in the ‘cifs’ security/permissions in the upgrades?
Linux version currently 3.18.7+ #755 PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:14:31 GMT 2015.
Is this associated with the device tree changes? If so how do I implement or use the "sec=ntlm" fix?
Connection has been previously been made via a command: "sudo mount -t cifs '//192.xxx.xxx.xxx/GoFlex Home Public' /home/pi/goflex/public -o username=xxxxxx,password=xxxxxx,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777"

Found how to implement, by adding 'sec=ntlm' to the end of the mount line:
sudo mount -t cifs '//192.168.XX.YY/GoFlex Home Personal' /home/pi/goflex/personal -o username=blahblah,password=blahblah,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,sec=ntlm

Return to “Troubleshooting”