swbigelow

Hangup during boot sequence

Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:21 pm

My son has a raspberry pi, we had it working briefly (booting through to the GUI, with wheezy raspian), now we get several problems. First, the output is off-center so the first couple of letters of each line are not visible (we have a new 'Vizio' hdmi screen). Second, the boot sequence appears to hang up at the point where it says 'raspberry pi tty1'.

There are some ominous error messages earlier in the boot sequence, like 'groups or memory controller not available, not starting cgroups - warning' and 'Volume was not properly mounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck'

All suggestions welcomed
--Seth

jojopi

Re: Hangup during boot sequence

Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:21 pm

swbigelow wrote:First, the output is off-center so the first couple of letters of each line are not visible (we have a new 'Vizio' hdmi screen). Second, the boot sequence appears to hang up at the point where it says 'raspberry pi tty1'.
If the text is off one edge of the screen it is likely off all edges. In that case your only problem may be that the login prompt is off the bottom and not visible. The boot messages you mention do not sound particularly unusual or serious.

Pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 will attempt to switch to another virtual console, which is likely to have the login prompt higher up the screen.

First check the screen's menus for a way to disable overscan. This may be called "game mode", "dot by dot", "just scan", "original aspect", or something similar. Failing that, enable overscan on the Pi in "sudo raspi-config", and if necessary adjust the settings in /boot/config.txt.

Raspruss

Re: Hangup during boot sequence

Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:18 pm

swbigelow wrote: First, the output is off-center so the first couple of letters of each line are not visible (we have a new 'Vizio' hdmi screen).
That's a fairly serious overscan - on my Vizio the characters are as far left as possible - disconcerting but not missing entirely.

I don't have a direct answer for this but a quickie search for "overscan" here on the forums returned some answers that appear to answer it.
and 'Volume was not properly mounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck'
Again, this is a problem I actually have right now and will be using "dosfstools" to fix, hopefully - that can be found, too, by a quickie search for dosfstools here.

Return to “Troubleshooting”