bwana

BT keyboard (Tracer Eureka) pairing problem in Raspbmc

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:06 pm

Hello,

I got myself bluetooth keyboard (Tracer Eureka) and some mini BT dongle. Both the dongle and the keyboard seem to work OK (both are detected) still I cannot pair them.

What I did:

Managed to configure the dongle. I had to install atheros-firmware as at first the dongle reported as (no firmware)

Code: Select all

lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0781:5571 SanDisk Corp.
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0cf3:3005 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR3011 Bluetooth
I switched the keyboard into "ready for pairing" mode OK:

hcitool scan
Scanning ...
        DC:2C:26:E7:CA:64       Bluetooth Touchpad Keyboard
But when pairing:

sudo bluez-simple-agent hci0 DC:2C:26:E7:CA:64
I get this message: RequestPinCode (/org/bluez/758/hci0/dev_DC_2C_26_E7_CA_64)

So I am asked for PIN and I have no idea what should I enter here. Tried with nothing. Got authorisation error. Tried with 0000, 1111, 1234, 9999 and got " org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

What I understand from many, many web posts, the PIN should be there in "RequestPinCode" message given by bluez-simple-agent, but there is none in my case. Neither in the keyboard's user manual, which states "No authentication" should be chosen when pairing (simply, the manual is for Windows users only, who in fact I am pretty much :) ).

I tried also some trick http://www.correlatedcontent.com/blog/b ... pberry-pi/ to hack bluez-simple-agent script and replace ‘KeyboardDisplay’ with ‘DisplayYesNo’. Still with no success.

I would appreciate any suggestion or hint.

Regards,
Jakub "Bwana" Sawczuk

PS. Sorry for my English, it's been a time since the last time :)

procount

Re: BT keyboard (Tracer Eureka) pairing problem in Raspbmc

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:56 pm

IIRC when I paired my BT keyboard, you must have a wired keyboard connected to the PI during the pairing (I assume you do).
When you get the RequestPinCode message, try entering any pincode you like on the wired keyboard (e.g. 1234) followed by Enter, then enter the same Pin code (1234) on your BT Keyboard and then press Enter. Do it quickly to avoid a timeout. The devices should then pair together.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

bwana

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:33 pm

procount wrote:IIRC when I paired my BT keyboard, you must have a wired keyboard connected to the PI during the pairing (I assume you do).
When you get the RequestPinCode message, try entering any pincode you like on the wired keyboard (e.g. 1234) followed by Enter, then enter the same Pin code (1234) on your BT Keyboard and then press Enter. Do it quickly to avoid a timeout. The devices should then pair together.
Hello,

thanks for the reply. In fact I tried to do it the way you suggested - with no success. Still, I tried something else that actually worked and here it is:

I followed instructions given here: https://www.wayneandlayne.com/blog/2010 ... ode-entry/

Simply installed bluez-compat

sudo apt-get install bluez-compat
then re-checked if my KB is in pairing mode and what is its MAC:

hcitool scan
Scanning ...
        DC:2C:26:E7:CA:64       Bluetooth Touchpad Keyboard
then after all just did this:

sudo hidd --connect  DC:2C:26:E7:CA:64
There was no output like error message of any kind so my hopes went higher. To my surprise from now on the keyboard is paired OK and Kodi responds whatever I type.

This is still open for me to adjust key bindings (like for Polish characters, multimedia keys and so on) as well as how to make this pairing permanent (I guess what I did is valid till the next system boot).

Anyway, there's some progress.

BR,
Jakub "Bwana" Sawczuk

Douglas6

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:07 pm

The Bluez HID daemon (hidd) has been deprecated for some time, and replaced with a plug-in. Take a look at the DisablePlugins line in /etc/bluetooth/main.conf. If it includes 'input', remove that and restart bluetoothd, or reboot.

MrVJTod

Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:01 pm

hidd might be deprecated, but it works. At least it works each time. But after I powercycle my keyboard, it doesn't re-connect.

nothing is listed under "disableplugins" in my bluetooth/main.conf
the line is commented out.

I too was getting "Did not receive a reply." when I tried to connect with "bluez-simple-agent hci0 X:X:X:X:X"

And changing KeyboardDisplay to DisplayYesNo had no change in the response from bluez-simple-agent. I always saw RequestPinCode and I never saw DisplayPasskey.

I can "trust" it with no error, but it doesn't reconnect, even after powercycling the keyboard
sudo /usr/bin/bluez-test-device trusted 20:73:AB:25:F3:4A yes
[email protected]:~$ sudo /usr/bin/bluez-test-input connect 20:73:AB:25:F3:4A yes
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/bluez-test-input", line 40, in <module>
input.Connect()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 70, in __call__
return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 145, in __call__
**keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Connect" with signature "" on interface "org.bluez.Input" doesn't exist

Douglas6

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:50 pm

MrVJTod wrote:hidd might be deprecated, but it works.
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your point. Mine was that hidd might work, but it's deprecated. That means 'don't count on it'. It will be gone when Jessie comes around.

A recent post (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 74#p712774) suggests putting the connect commands into rc.local. I don't have a Bluetooth input device, but it sounds reasonable.

Return to “Troubleshooting”