sprudeldude

Wake on Lan Raspberry pi model B+

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:09 am

Hi,

I recently bought a Raspberry Pi model B+.
I wanted to enable the Wake on lan function to it.
Can someone give me a tutorial how to install it and use it ?

Many thanks !

drgeoff

Re: Wake on Lan Raspberry pi model B+

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:05 am

I found this in less than one minute. Why couldn't you?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 53&t=39714

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:18 am

sprudeldude wrote:Hi,

I recently bought a Raspberry Pi model B+.
I wanted to enable the Wake on lan function to it.
Can someone give me a tutorial how to install it and use it ?

Many thanks !
The RPi has a USB to Ethernet Adaptor on the board, so not feasible.http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/De ... ct=LAN9514
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

rpdom

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:17 am

fruitoftheloom wrote: The RPi has a USB to Ethernet Adaptor on the board
Which is not the reason it can't be done. That adaptor does have a WOL capability - however it is not enabled and as it is not connected to anything on the Pi, there is no point in enabling it.

sprudeldude

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:08 pm

drgeoff wrote:I found this in less than one minute. Why couldn't you?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 53&t=39714
Because i was hoping somebody actually came with a solution to fix it.
So it isn't possibily to do a remotely wake on lan with the raspberry pi ?

ghans

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Nope , you need to build an additional circuit yourslef.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

DougieLawson

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:22 pm

What's the problem with leaving your Raspberry Pis running 24*365? A RPi B+ uses 200mA while idle, an A+ uses 100mA while idle.

http://raspi.tv/2014/raspberry-pi-a-how ... es-it-need
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

sprudeldude

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:50 am

DougieLawson wrote:What's the problem with leaving your Raspberry Pis running 24*365? A RPi B+ uses 200mA while idle, an A+ uses 100mA while idle.

http://raspi.tv/2014/raspberry-pi-a-how ... es-it-need
Why leaving it on for 24 / 24 if there might be solution for turning it remotly on and off ?

Or isn't there non solution for this ?

DougieLawson

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:53 am

Because it cost pennies to run and it's pointless looking at any other options if you are connected to the mains and not trying to maximise battery power.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

rpdom

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:00 pm

The solution is simple.

Get another Pi. Use the GPIO on that to use a relay to turn off the power to the first Pi when it isn't needed. :D

mikerr

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:01 pm

sprudeldude wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:What's the problem with leaving your Raspberry Pis running 24*365? A RPi B+ uses 200mA while idle, an A+ uses 100mA while idle.
Why leaving it on for 24 / 24 if there might be solution for turning it remotly on and off ?

Or isn't there non solution for this ?
"There is no solution for this."

Bear in mind the Pi uses less power in normal use as other devices would do in standby while waiting on a WOL packet... (<2W / 200ma)

If you really want to save some power and it's headless,
you can turn off the display circuitry to save 20ma

Code: Select all

TVservice -o
but its only really noticeable on battery powered applications.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

JoanTheSpark

Tue May 03, 2016 2:31 pm

rpdom wrote:...
That adaptor (Microchip LAN9514) does have a WOL capability - however it is not enabled and as it is not connected to anything on the Pi, there is no point in enabling it.
I take it they aren't available on some headers, pads or pins either then?

DougieLawson

Tue May 03, 2016 8:06 pm

The WoL function is part of your X86 / X86_64 BIOS. So that highlights two problems with the RPi and WoL

1. The WoL pin on the the ethernet isn't connected to anything.
2. There's no BIOS on a RPi, there's some GPU bootcode, but that also doesn't have any WoL function.

Leave your RPi powered up and it costs less than £4.36 per year to run it.

JoanTheSpark

Wed May 04, 2016 1:23 am

DougieLawson wrote:.. trying to maximise battery power.
I'm on this side of the fence and just checking options ;-)

I couldn't even find a pin (in the datasheet) that would allow to get a switching signal out of that chip, unless it's one of the GPIO pins..

Anyhow, there is a cheap and tiny Microchip (former Micrel) Ethernet PHY IC which should be able to do this kind of job - http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/KSZ8091

It will need additional magnetics and adoption of one of the SPI interfaces of the RPi to talk MDIO for it though afai-can-tell.
All it would have to do is listen to the RX and toggle the PEM_N pin if there is a magic packet (or whatever else you can trigger on) that is then being used to switch the power to the Pi.

Any obstacles you (or others) see I'm unaware off?

Here an Andy Brown has done some tinkering with the chip and connected an STM32 to it to get some ETH PHY stuff working:
http://andybrown.me.uk/2014/12/27/ksz8091rna/

DougieLawson

Wed May 04, 2016 7:35 am

What part of "it can never work" are you struggling with?

JoanTheSpark

Wed May 04, 2016 8:03 am

DougieLawson wrote:What part of "it can never work" are you struggling with?
Right - a bare bone RPi won't ever have WOL - I'm with you, no worries.

I'm talking about a hat/addon/whatever that has got a power supply switch for the RPi on it.
Something like this (this does PoE, not WOL):
https://www.pi-supply.com/product/pi-po ... cba1185463
Just with an extra ETH PHY chip (like the one above) that is connected to the RPi and set up so it listens for a magic packet.
The Pi then shuts down/whatever.
If the magic packet arrives, that chip will toggle it's PEM pin, the power will be switched on to the RPi, the Pi boots/whatever and we have a strap-on-WOL for the Pi.

Where is the problem with that solution?

DougieLawson

Wed May 04, 2016 8:13 am

It's pointless, because it costs nothing to run a RPi for a year. You've got a a lot years to run before you recover the cost of your funky hardware.

PoE has some use when you can't get mains power (but can get a CAT5 cable) to where your RPi is located.

hippy

Wed May 04, 2016 9:05 am

JoanTheSpark wrote:Where is the problem with that solution?
A Pi power supply switched on by a WOL packet is entirely possible.

The main issues are whether it is worth it in terms of cost and development effort and one has to consider how much current the WOL interface itself uses while waiting for that WOL packet.

Even if it is not that effective at minimising current draw of a Pi installation it can still have a use for remotely re-booting a Pi which has crashed or been inadvertently shut down.

DougieLawson

Wed May 04, 2016 2:18 pm

It's pointless. If it was a) possible and b) useful don't you think the RPF might have included it on some of the existing Raspberries.

I have ten raspberries running 24/365.25 and they don't crash. You'd be better off looking at how to prevent crashes by doing stuff like read-only root filesystems and having things like /var being moved off to a "I don't care about these data" partition (so trashing that doesn't trash the whole system).

JoanTheSpark

Wed May 04, 2016 2:45 pm

Again, I'm on batteries somewhere outdoors (it might have slipped your observation, but I mentioned it up there) - I don't have the option of plentiful energy, 1W 24/7 is not a real option.

The RPi has the task of booting, doing some stuff and then going back to power off. A dual timer RTC is taking care of that (example: NXP PCF85263A).

As a future option I would like to be able to wake the RPi via Ethernet any time I want (thus the exploring I'm doing at the moment). The Ethernet might have PoE or not, but I can't run it 24/7 as the energy for that is not available - especially when you have a couple of these units running.

Is my position understood now?

Back on topic.. I think the solution up there with the additional PHY needs a LAN switcher, as you can't have 3 PHYs on the same 'cable'. There seem to be units made for such a purpose for notebook docks.
Example would be this one here http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ts3l110.pdf
So I think I'm able to do this.
At the moment I'm just putting the circuit/hardware together.. software is another chapter I guess ;)

Worst case power draw estimate for a strap-on-WoL at the moment (~ 80 mW):
- KSZ8091 in EEE mode 3.3 V / 23 mA
- TS3L110 3.3 V / 0.7 mA

PS: I know that the A+ uses 100 mA when idle (vs the 200 mA of the B+), but it doesn't come with Ethernet, so that is moot.
Last edited by JoanTheSpark on Thu May 05, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 04, 2016 2:56 pm

The original question from 16 months ago was does the RPi 1B+ have WoL and the answer is a resounding no..

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 04, 2016 3:02 pm

JoanTheSpark wrote:Again, I'm on batteries somewhere outdoors (it might have slipped your observation, but I mentioned it up there) - I don't have the option of plentiful energy, 10W 24/7 is out of the question.

The RPi has the task of booting, doing some stuff and then going back to power off. A dual timer RTC is taking care of that (example: NXP PCF85263A).

As a future option I would like to be able to wake the RPi via Ethernet any time I want (thus the exploring I'm doing at the moment). The Ethernet might have PoE or not, but I can't run it 24/7 as the energy for that is not available - especially when you have a couple of these units running.

Is my position understood now?

Back on topic.. I think the solution up there with the additional PHY needs a LAN switcher, as you can't have 3 PHYs on the same 'cable'. There seem to be units made for such a purpose for notebook docks.
Example would be this one here http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ts3l110.pdf
So I think I'm able to do this.
At the moment I'm just putting the circuit/hardware together.. software is another chapter I guess ;)

Worst case power draw estimate for a strap-on-WoL at the moment (~ 80 mW):
- KSZ8091 in EEE mode 3.3 V / 23 mA
- TS3L110 3.3 V / 0.7 mA

PS: I know that the A+ uses 100 mA when idle (vs the 200 mA of the B+), but it doesn't come with Ethernet, so that is moot.

All you need is a TPlink WoL Kit, then just send power down Ethernet Cable to the RPi

http://www.raspberrypioneer.com/2013/06 ... r-under-15

JoanTheSpark

Wed May 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Point taken - I leave this thread, should have started a new one in the appropriate forums I guess - got here via search and thought it might be the most appropriate as it wasn't too old.
My apologies.

[edit]
@fruitoftheloom,
no, I can't use that solution as I don't want to control the power to the Pi via the Ethernet cable.
It should be an option to wake it via LAN, the Pi needs to be self-sufficient.
Also the 1B+ and the 2B share the same ETH/USB hub chip.. should be relevant then.

hippy

Wed May 04, 2016 4:49 pm

DougieLawson wrote:It's pointless.
You are entitled to your opinion. Others are entitled to theirs.
DougieLawson wrote:If it was a) possible
It is possible.
DougieLawson wrote:and b) useful
It is useful to some.
DougieLawson wrote:don't you think the RPF might have included it on some of the existing Raspberries.
No. Well, they might have included it, but that seems unlikely as it's not needed in its primary educational role, the Pi is a product designed to keep its costs low, and it's not a necessary feature. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be a desirable feature for some people with some use cases.

There are many things which would be useful for various people to have on a Pi. Just because they aren't already included on a Pi doesn't meant that they aren't.
DougieLawson wrote:I have ten raspberries running 24/365.25 and they don't crash.
Good for you. But sometimes Pi's do crash, or users do something which causes them to lock up, or shutdown, and having a remote means of wake-up or re-boot is handy to have.

darkogav

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:38 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
All you need is a TPlink WoL Kit, then just send power down Ethernet Cable to the RPi

http://www.raspberrypioneer.com/2013/06 ... r-under-15
This would totally work. It's a small investment and you would make your ROI within 3 to 5 years.

Return to “Troubleshooting”