ianpaulstone

Re: Analog audio problems? post comments here!

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:25 pm

Ok, I bought the USB audio sound card for Pi B. Here's my problem.

I followed : https://learn.adafruit.com/usb-audio-ca ... spberry-pi up to the point where I performed the speaker test. This went fine, however all other sound merely outputs from the audio jack!

I heard that you can change the .asoundrc file to force it to play from the USB but I don't know how to access the file to change it.

I have already had problems with my Pi. I bought a Waveshare 7" touchscreen only to find its version of the operating system stops the WiFi from working - which I would love someone to help me figure out as well!

First, I want to get the audio coming out of the soundcard *always* - at the moment it will only output when I do a speaker test, nothing else...

thanks

Ian

djnever00

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:53 am

Same here, HDMI audio doesn't work either.
tammasarath wrote:Hi,

I ordered Raspberry Pi 2 B and received it. I'm amazed to see it working. The only problem i got is, i can't get any volume from the audio jack you provided. I tried plugging in my computer speakers, headphones, earphones, but none of them are actually working. Can you please help me/ let me know if i'm missing something here? i checked in the OS, it's not on mute, i kept it in full volume, but of no use. I tried to play a youtube video, i could see only video(which is not seamless when it's in full screen mode, lot of jerks) and no audio. I ordered the 8gb OS micro sd card as well.

Thanks,
Sarath

Seadart

Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Audio in - out problems. I have a new R Pi2. Have seen article on setting up Mumble on this but there is no mention of how to get Audio in - out to work. It seems to be known that audio in does not work on the Pi out of the box. I have tried ear bugs from Samsung - audio out but not in and the same via a 3.5 audio socket on my screen connected via HDMI. Also tried various bluetooth connections - no audio in! I have seen that the USB 2 pin adapter does not work either and I have seen the Cirrus Audio card (ex Wolf card) but with a note that it also does not work on the Pi2. Since it is rather expensive I would like to know if anyone has experience of this combination - Pi2 and the Cirrus Audio card or the much cheaper USB 2 pin adapter.

bitbin

Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:29 am

bitbin wrote:I have hiss or static from the Raspberry Pi 2 audio. My problem sounds like nbk7's problem at the beginning of page 2 of this thread. However, muting the audio or moving the volume slider all the way down doesn't stop the hiss. If anything is playing, muted or not, there is hiss. I'm using Raspbian with kernel 4.1.7-v7+. I am using an RCA audio video cable with the left and right plugged in to an amplifier. Adding disable_audio_dither=1 to /boot/config.txt didn't eliminate the hiss. That might have made it slightly quieter but didn't fix the problem. Also, now the audio can't be completely muted. I'll undo the change in config.txt. I have a small USB to mic and headphone adapter. The Raspberry Pi 2 recognizes the device but won't play any audio through it.
I found there is no audible hiss if using the RCA AV cable with a television and without a separate amplifier. Seems like that's how it was meant to be used. My USB to mic and headphone adapter started working with the Rasp. Pi. I don't know why but it is working so I'm using it.

x4dr

Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:14 am

Sometimes some buffer seems to be full and my pi stops playing audio (over the 3.5mm port, which works fine most of the time). playing with the volume in alsamixer (or setting it over the command line) fixes it after a few times but can also cause it...

pawlu

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:15 pm

Rasp2b with OSMC or Openelec

Audio mutes, at random
Audio gets distorted, at random, as if wrong codec. Heavy sibilance and distortion of the tops

Solved by reboot, but there must be a fix, or is it the tv?

fredfs

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:16 pm

How can I create a little boot sound, to play right when raspberry is powered on, or at the very early boot stage?
I need some sort of audio feedback for a headless pi.
Something like the apple 'ta daa' sound when you power on the machine.

masa-aud

Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:37 am

Hi All, FYI about noise reminder,
Please note firstly, the jack physically fits to 3.5mm stereo mini plug of headphoes and audio devices but the jack on your board might be designed for audio and video connection differrently from normal audio, and when you make headphon plug into this you will hear sound but as very poor audio as difference signal of L-ch and R-ch say, thin and noisy.
Inside of the 3.5mm type jack circuit runs at output impedance of around 100 ohm that has power to headphons and to line input of stereo amplifiers.
The sound quality is not a high quality but enjoyable like FM radio or more as the flat frequency range from 20Hz to 18000Hz and harmonic distortion at around 1%, noise level under -60dB at the sound level of around -10 dB from full swing of CD signal, when you set volume level to around 100 of speaker icon on the menu bar. If your headphon or audio device is high sensitive you may set the volume level lower from 100 but the noise level doesn't go lower. It is recommended to apply volume control function after the output of jack, that is outside the board.

masa-aud

Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:17 pm

reply to bitbin about hiss noise

This is an analog circuit issue rather than a logical.
The noise is generated after the mute/ volume control function, then you hear the noise stickily. Solution is as the volume at 100 maximum and lay the mute/volume control outside your board.

masa-aud

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:48 am

reply to bitbin about RCA plugs
You are right when connecting a set of triple (red white yellow) plugs into TV, enjoyable. But when a red and white pair of audio plugs into audio amp' case, it's a wrong connection. Red and White of a triple plugs fit to the line input of audio devices. These are R'Pi2B case, e.g. though.

cruster

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:27 pm

Is there anywhere a definitive step-by-step guide to eliminate the hiss crackle and pop which comes out of the analogue audio jack? It's present on the PI2 and the PI3 both updated with apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. Seems to me the audio stage is just poorly designed and subject to all sorts of breakthrough from everything else which is running on the board?

piuser1001

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:36 pm

Hi
I have a new pi I am using with my daughter and we are struggling to get audio to work.

The audio works if I play an .mp3 using omxplayer through terminal

However I can't get sound to work any other way. No software has any sound including the web browser.

I have typed the following commands into the terminal to get sound going:
sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835

I have checked the volume using amixer and it is at 98% (however the output also states the playback channel is mono, is this a problem?)
I have tried speaker-test and aplay to play .wav files

Nothing gets any sound apart from omx player.

Can anyone help with what I need to do?
I am using the audio jack plugged into a set of powered speakers. I am using the pi 7'' touchscreen so nothing is plugged into the HDMI slot.

Thanks

Berde

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:06 am

Same problem in rapberry pi3 with jack output, ramdom electronic noise, hiss... Hifiberry would be the solution to the bad S/N ratio?

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:51 am

In Jessie if you right click on the volume icon top right you can select your audio device.
I've done this to select the analog, or HDMI or USB headphones.

The headphones have a microphone as well and I could select this and use it in Audacity.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink

masa-aud

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:53 am

reply to johngummerson on no audio
I think you have to use a cable converting AV 4 pole plug for R-Pi to 3 pole analog audio jack for your headphone plug when to use 3.5mm R-Pi jack for audio output. Connecting HP to R-Pi jack causes almost noises to Lch.

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:58 am

I've used ear bug headphones and also connected Pi 2 to external speakers using 3.5mm jack with out any problems.
The wiring of the jack means stereo 3.5mm plugs should work.
You do have to select the right audio output though. If you have a screen attached to the HDMI port it will default to HDMI.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink

RaTTuS

Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:05 am

cruster wrote:Is there anywhere a definitive step-by-step guide to eliminate the hiss crackle and pop which comes out of the analogue audio jack? It's present on the PI2 and the PI3 both updated with apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. Seems to me the audio stage is just poorly designed and subject to all sorts of breakthrough from everything else which is running on the board?
and others
see
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=136445
for new audio if you want to try it
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

masa-aud

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:21 pm

reply to johngummerson on head phone jack
So you already have information that says R-Pi 3.5mm jack is not for HPs and you have to use a cable between your HP and R-Pi having a 4 pole plug to R-Pi and 3 pole jack for HP.

masa-aud

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:42 pm

Dear All FYI on 3.5mm 4-pole jack
There are several specs for audio-in and out and video.
From the top to --
Lch > Rch > Mic > Gnd (OMTP)
Lch > Rch > Gnd > Mic (CTIA)
Lch > Video > Gnd > Rch (R-Pi)

rpdom

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:40 am

masa-aud wrote:Dear All FYI on 3.5mm 4-pole jack
There are several specs for audio-in and out and video.
From the top to --
Lch > Video > Gnd > Rch (R-Pi)
Wrong. If you had checked anywhere before spamming the forums with this incorrect information you would know that it is

Lch > Rch > Gnd > Video (R-Pi except original A/B and Zero)

masa-aud

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:37 am

reply to rpdom on 4-pole 3.5mm jack connection spec

I also think that R-Pi adopted the connection such as you show as
Lch > Rch > Gnd > Video that seems to be reasonable for the audio compatibility.
There are a lot of questions from many forum members about poor audio from the jack but I can not find official spec information of from physical to program as a whole to analyze such poor audio output. I also was the same as them and tried to what was wrong and found good audio using a red-white-yellow cable of 4-port jack but featured as Lch > Video > Gnd > Rch.
I can see but only from the circuit block diagram the jack physically to be connected as you show as posted.
I hope that such the many find their own reason and to get good sound soon.

masa-aud

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:44 pm

reply to cruster on step by step trace of poor analog output issue
My image is by a diagram of function blocks and connections from A to D, encoder, filer, decoder, D-mixer, D to A, A-mixer, output switch and jack, all of each block having input and output connections and also switches, e.g..

masa-aud

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:13 pm

reply to winkleink on to use 3.5mm stereo plug
You are right logically according to the Rpi jack design and also you are sure when trying yourself but using a good plug. I guess the reason why many members including me are being confused with noisy sound in spite of the right setting of audio out to the 3.5mm jack. There exists registance of ohmic contact between plug and jack that causes cross mixing effect between signals through the poles. It is not a logical but an electrical aspect of ordinary plugs and jacks.

Taxicletter

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:20 pm

Okay, I posted this problem in "beginners": viewtopic.php?f=91&t=139765, but the problem drifted from Bluetooth to analog sound. And it needs Troubleshooting, it's no beginning anymore :-)

What's the problem:
I installed some bluetooth programs from Add/Remove Software, to let Bluetooth sound work. That did help.
But after, I didn't get analogue sound anymore. HDMI sound works. I'm not using a USB-soundcard, just the original 3.5 output.
I read somewhere that removing PulseAudio could help, and it did. At first. For some reason I had to reinstall and I have the same problem, except: removing PulseAudio doesn't help anymore.
I used

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
and

amixer cset numid=3 1
to select the mini-jack output. I used

sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835
although I read this isn't necessary anymore.

I checked volume with

alsamixer

amixer
gives:

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 65536
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 1 [0%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 1 [0%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 65536
  Front Left: Capture 65536 [100%] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 65536 [100%] [on]
I installed pavucontrol and that panel only sees dummy audio output. Audio Device Settings has selected the bcm2835 ALSA. PCM controller is selected.

I did

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
several times.

I installed and configured a lot of software, so I don't want to install Rasbian again. What can I do?

Raspberry Pi 3, latest Rasbian with Noobs.
--::--::- Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian 8.0 (32GB SAMSUNG EVO) -::--::--

Taxicletter

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:13 pm

I followed this: https://sites.google.com/site/semillero ... spberry-pi.
Playing the testsound works. But pavucontrol (and VLC) still only show dummy output??

aplay -L
results in:

null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
sysdefault:CARD=ALSA
    bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA
    Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
    bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
    Hardware device with all software conversions
I don't understand, it looks like the soundcard is recognised, sound works, why don't VLC or Exaile play?

Some details: with Bluetooth VLC plays with stutter, Exaile plays smooth. The volume controle in the menubar doesn't influence the volume.
--::--::- Raspberry Pi 3 - Raspbian 8.0 (32GB SAMSUNG EVO) -::--::--

Return to “Troubleshooting”