AussiePi

Wifi not working on Pi B+ and XBMC

Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:10 am

Gday everyone,

I apologise in advance if this has been discussed before, but I have spent the past 4 days scouring the web and the forums for a solution to my issue but havent found anything to help. I have just bought a WiFi USB dongle, it recognises my SSID so i know it works, but after that nothing, no IP address in Settings>System Info>Summary and no connectivity at all.

Before I continue I will let you all know...I have no coding experience, XBMC is running on my Pi B+, I do not have any Linux systems running in my house to go in and edit lines etc.

I am running XBMC 13.2 GIT:2014901-867305b (compiled Oct 31 2014)

I have tried the Systems>settings>Get Add-ons>XBMC.org Add-ons>Program Add-ons>Network-Manager, but it says it is it is incompatible and requires Network-Manager 0.9.

So if thats what I need where do I get that from and what needs to be done with it?

If not is there anyone out there that can help me because according to the setup tutorials on the net I have done everything and still no connection.

Cheers in advance for anyone's assistance.

AussiePi :)

chrysaoff

Re: Wifi not working on Pi B+ and XBMC

Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi,

I can't help you but i have the same problem specialy with my dongle in AC.

Apparently, in my case, eth0 and wlan0 don't want to ifup and i need to force.
Perhaps,you have this problem. Try to see in command line if you have both or just wlan0 up with ifconfig

Maybe you know how to force the up when you reboot..

:)

AussiePi

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:21 am

Thanks for your response but when i connect Lan and Wifi they both recognise.

I can find modems/routers etc so i Know the dongle works I just cannot connect. Once Lan is unplugged there is no connection. But again (sorry to repeat) wifi dongle recognises my router and others in range but cannot connect. I have entered WPA pass word etc.

Its doing my head in literally no one on the net can figure out what to do.

Anyone else out there with the same prob and a solution.

Please remember guys and gals i have no code knowledge and this is purely a media centre connected to my TV.

Thanks in advance.

Annoyed AussiePi :/

fruitoftheloom

Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:27 am

AussiePi wrote:Thanks for your response but when i connect Lan and Wifi they both recognise.

I can find modems/routers etc so i Know the dongle works I just cannot connect. Once Lan is unplugged there is no connection. But again (sorry to repeat) wifi dongle recognises my router and others in range but cannot connect. I have entered WPA pass word etc.

Its doing my head in literally no one on the net can figure out what to do.

Anyone else out there with the same prob and a solution.

Please remember guys and gals i have no code knowledge and this is purely a media centre connected to my TV.

Thanks in advance.

Annoyed AussiePi :/
If the USB WiFi Adaptor is supported, OpenElec has the Network Manager pre-installed

http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi- ... nelec-xbmc

Though if you are running Raspbian Wheezy with XBMC installed, sorry do not know
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

DirkS

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:57 am

I am running XBMC 13.2 GIT:2014901-867305b (compiled Oct 31 2014)
Are you using Raspbmc?
Raspbmc has its own module for setting wireless, etc.
You should find it under Programs / Raspbmc settings.
On my install I had to set 'unique dhcp client name' to get wifi connected. Not sure if that's router related or not.

Gr.
Dirk.

Return to “Troubleshooting”