Antario

RaspberryPi Doesn't Boot for me (solved)

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi Everyone! :D

Just today I got my long awaited Raspberry Pi!
I followed each instruction in the quick start guide, downloaded a Debian Squeeze 40MB iso for ARM and dd-ed it onto a 1GB generic SD card which I plugged in to the RasPi. I connected my HDMI monitor to the HDMI connector, a USB keyboard and mouse and a 5V 850mA power supply. The PWR LED lights up although on the monitor I get the NoSignal monitor message. All the other LEDs are out, except that the OK indicator lights up very dim and stays dim. Nothing else happens.
I've also tried booting with a USB flash drive. I suppose even if the SD card or the USB flash drive isn't working or setup properly, there should be some POST messages prior to booting (I didn't find a video where I could confirm that, though.)

What I do know:
The HDMI cable and all of the peripherals are working on their own.
TP2-TP1 test point voltage is 4.99V (perfectly almost 5V), 3.3V on GPIO is 3.32V (still good) and I even scraped a bit of the lacquer where Eben had to repair the 1.8V rail on some of the earlier boards and the 1.82V is there, too.
Physically there is nothing wrong with it, everything seems to be like it should be.

Thank you for your help :)

IDE

Re: RaspberryPi Doesn't Boot for me

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:57 pm

It boots with the composite out for video by default.

I have not used HDMI on it yet. But you need to specify it's configurations on the SD card fat partition that you'll be using the HDMI output as default and it's resolution settings too.

There is documentation for this purpose. http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

itimpi

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:58 pm

I am confused - you mention a 40MB iso? The normal Debian download for the Raspberry Pi is an img file and requires a 2GB or larger SD card.

There are no messages displayed if the Pi cannot read the boot files off the SD card so that is most likely to be your problem. You should see the OK light start flashing as the Pi reads the boot files. You cannot boot off any device except the SD card (although you CAN later switch to running off another device).

Antario

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Oh, thank both of you for the prompt replies. Unfortunately I didn't know this, and now I don't even have a larger SD card than 1GB. I basically downloaded the installation image from Debian's website.
Hmm... I try to make something to work with this 1GB SD card. Let's see if I can.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:08 pm

IDE wrote:It boots with the composite out for video by default.

I have not used HDMI on it yet. But you need to specify it's configurations on the SD card fat partition that you'll be using the HDMI output as default and it's resolution settings too.

There is documentation for this purpose. http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
This info (the PI defaults to composite while a HDMI monitor is connected) is incorrect AFAIK, even when there isn't a config.txt file the PI outputs HDMI signals unless you do not plug in any kind of HDMI/DVI-D monitor, only if you remove the HDMI/DVI-D cable the PI reverts to composite.

Also, the PI reads out information from the monitor/TV to determine the best resolution, but you can override that by specifying settings in the config.txt file.

Antario

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Thank you mahjongg! Do you have another suggestion? Something that maybe I should try out?

itimpi

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:31 pm

Antario wrote:Oh, thank both of you for the prompt replies. Unfortunately I didn't know this, and now I don't even have a larger SD card than 1GB. I basically downloaded the installation image from Debian's website.
Hmm... I try to make something to work with this 1GB SD card. Let's see if I can.
The download from Debian will not work - you need oNe with a kernel specifically for the Raspberry Pi. The easiest way to get this is from the Downloads section of this site or via a link in one of the distribution specific areas of the forum.

If you only have a small card then you could try the OpenElec distribution as that does not require a large card. It would be enough to check your system is working, and as a by-product allows the Pi to function as a media player. Download links are available via posts in the Media Centres and Gaming section of the forum.

douglas

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:51 am

mahjongg wrote: This info (the PI defaults to composite while a HDMI monitor is connected) is incorrect AFAIK, even when there isn't a config.txt file the PI outputs HDMI signals unless you do not plug in any kind of HDMI/DVI-D monitor
This is correct.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: RaspberryPi Doesn't Boot for me (solved)

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:25 am

I'm skating over the fact that the problem is clearly a too-small SD card.

You should NEVER scrape layers off your Raspberry Pi's PCB. The issue that had us putting in the solder join OP mentions was unique to 25 beta boards, and is NEVER a problem with production boards, which underwent a hardware revision. All you're doing by going at a Raspberry Pi with a scalpel is voiding your warranty.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Antario

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:35 am

Thank you for everyone, thank you for the warning, Liz :D Everything was my fault, I didn't know at the time how the Pi actually worked. (I did the scraping quite professionally, though :lol: I was desperate, I had to to something...) It is functioning like a charm with a proper SD image now.
I have some projects in my mind, too, and I hope I can get some of them out into the real world. :mrgreen: First and foremost I'd like to assemble a portable Pi with this little LCD module: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-TFT-INNOLUX-A ... 527wt_1275

iNfy

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Just had this happen to me today with my second unboxed board.

The only thing I did different was use the popularly recommended tool across most tutorials 'SDFormatter' and it formatted the wrong device, writing to K:\ which is my USB external drive instead of R:\ which is the RPi's SD card. I have replicated this twice consecutively without failure. So be aware when using this application with other USB devices plugged in.

I was under confusion when the .img file did not actually write to the SD card, and was given a blank screen. Obviously checking the usual problems such as PS, SD card and faulty/unsupported/high usage USB devices lead to no result.

I have lost a significant amount of data due to this crapware application and will not be using it anymore in favour of the basic Windows disk management service.

Again, be aware when using SDFormatter that it may not write correctly.

QBall1977

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:08 am

Dear All,

I found using the latest Raspbian Image (debian Wheezy) that if I boot with a ribbon cable connected to the GPIO pins, it would try booting in 640x480 (or similar across HDMI), but then crash half way through boot. Unplugging the cable on boot up worked a treat for me! So if you've not tried it, unplug the GPIO, at least on boot.

Kind Regards

Mark.

Antario

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:47 pm

I don't see how a connection to the GPIO would alter the boot-up process, but maybe somebody smarter can explain?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:24 am

Antario wrote:I don't see how a connection to the GPIO would alter the boot-up process, but maybe somebody smarter can explain?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 7&p=129587

Return to “Troubleshooting”