SteveDee

Re: Raspberry Pi A+ USB port bent pins

Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:34 am

nikoff90 wrote:
I had no knowledge of this issue when I purchased my A+ there was no warning that I noticed?
Very surprised that this is still an issue and that nothing has been done about it. There is enough chat on this one thread alone for the problem to have been taken seriously by now, over 15 months since this thread was started.

My post (time-stamped 10 Jan 2015 10:27 above) details the reason for the problem.

It is ridiculus to suggest that it is in any way the users fault, or that some peripherals are "too fat" or outside of spec. Its just a crap socket on the model A/A+. (has anyone seen this problem on a model B? I doubt it.)

The USB socket material is too thick and the spring clips are sometimes badly set. So the spring clips offer too much resistance to any incoming plug, forcing the plug hard against the contacts, causing them to buckled-up and be folded backwards.

bensimmo

Re: Raspberry Pi A+ USB port bent pins

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:18 pm

I would certainly say this is not our fault. It should be able to take a connector with no issues. I've never seen it happen to a USB in all my time. Given these are standard WiFi and keyboard/mouse connector (Dell and branded wifi).
Also given they are designed for the education environment above anything else, they need to be robust and the rough and tumble of of kids sticking a keyboard in it or a USB dongle. (They haven't used this one though).

For one of them I have tried to desolder the connector and fit my own, an absolute bugger to do. Won't be doing the rest!

If it matters these are the UK made ones.

Return to “Troubleshooting”