60%
No
40%

Total votes: 10
blurp

RPi breaks SD-Cards

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:06 am

Hello,

the makers of the RPi should use better SD-Card slots.
The cheap slot ruins SD-Cards on the fly and breaks them.
Even a one Euro SD-Card reader has a better slot.

I put a metal plate from a 3,5"-Floppy on top of the slot and glued it with super glue.
SD-CARD.JPG
SD-CARD.JPG (32.81 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
Best Regards

P.S.: The foundation (or R+S ?) owe me a 4 SD-Card.

rasbeer

Re: RPi breaks SD-Cards

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:24 am

I think the components used for making the RasPis have been changing, so it'd be helpful if you could provide some information to help identify the batch. Unfortunately I don't know just what that info would be, but I'm sure someone does...

reggie

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:14 pm

I'd like to see more about what he's talking about and define what 'ruins sd cards on the fly and breaks them' actually means?

lb

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:18 pm

blurp wrote: the makers of the RPi should use better SD-Card slots.
The cheap slot ruins SD-Cards on the fly and breaks them.
The slot is definitely of the cheap variety, but what do you even mean? How does it break SD cards? I don't see how that is possible. The flimsy slot might break down (but hasn't so far, even after a *huge* number of insertion cycles during my compatibility testing), but that's all.

grumpyoldgit

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:20 pm

There's a lot of metal bits there. My SD card connector is plastic (RS week 12:13) as are all the photos I recall seeing.

SN

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:22 pm

it'll only break sd cards if you are clumsy :roll:
more likely the slot itself gets broke (again if you are clumsy) as described elsewhere
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

grumpyoldgit

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:25 pm

The penny has just dropped. The OP is just being a dick. That piece of metal is the slidy bit from a 3 1/2" floppy disk as seen from the back.

SN

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:29 pm

HOWEVER...
Bearing in mind the target market - who are naturally clumsy - an improvement for the educational release might be to toughen up this component a tad
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

nick.mccloud

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:16 pm

I'm sure that you can break lots of things by being a bit ham-fisted with your Pi.

Note that the OP has soldered a power lead on to his Pi too - his choice but speaks volumes to his views on other peoples engineering decisions. Perhaps an armour plated version would keep him happy.

reggie

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:22 am

I still want to know what his definition of 'breaks sd cards' is. The educational release will be coming with a case won't it? So no need to toughen anything up, especially if you educate the younguns before you let them loose on a pi.

babbage

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:55 am

grumpyoldgit: The penny has just dropped. The OP is just being a dick. That piece of metal is the slidy bit from a 3 1/2" floppy disk as seen from the back.
He does actually say that in the original post, so no secret. I think he has glued it on there to strengthen it. I'll be honest, when I first got my Pi I thought something was wrong with the SD card slot, as it looked quite flimsy and bare. I think the OP's idea is quite a good one to be honest.

grumpyoldgit

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:09 pm

babbage wrote:
grumpyoldgit: The penny has just dropped. The OP is just being a dick. That piece of metal is the slidy bit from a 3 1/2" floppy disk as seen from the back.
He does actually say that in the original post, so no secret. I think he has glued it on there to strengthen it. I'll be honest, when I first got my Pi I thought something was wrong with the SD card slot, as it looked quite flimsy and bare. I think the OP's idea is quite a good one to be honest.
I can see that now. I read the heading then saw the picture. I'm still not sure how he is breaking SD cards though. They do seem pretty sturdy.

SupremeSpod

Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:06 pm

I have noticed that the Raspberry Pi is splitting my SD cards down the top left hand side (the same side where the "lock" tag is situated) and I can assure you that I'm not "hamfisted". I have 2 original model B and 3 "new" model B Pi's and they have all damaged my SD cards.

So much so that I now have a micro SD/SD adapter in each PI and just swap the micro sd cards as I can't rely on the slot on the PI.

powertieke

Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:23 am

I'll concur that this does happen. It seems to be a combination of the pressure of the pins that tend to push the card too hard up the middle without any support. Combine this with extended warming up of the card/pi (in my case glued to the back of a TV during multiple trade shows) and some SD cards will bend of crack from the uneven pressure of the sd-slot.

My workaround is padding the space underneath the SD slot in the casing (I used the rubber 'stands' from the case) so that the SD card gets extra support in the middle (where the slot itself is not providing any...).

You will get most cracked and bent SD-cards going again this way.

I understand this is one of the things they fixed on the + models.

flichtschein

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:33 pm

There is no need for remarks like "fist handed"...

I have one of the first Model Bs and two model B version 2 that I use for teaching, the force of the contacts on the unsupported SD adapter makes it crack and the microSD no longer makes contact and the Pi will not boot. I can send photographs.

The new ones use microSDs but I have to keep on using what I have, I was planning on supergluing a plastic tab to support the SD card. The problem is that the edges of the carrier are not flush with the face of the card, I should also shim it a bit.

Has anyone done that?

Best regards,

Fernando

Return to “Troubleshooting”