AmrineA

Pi won't reboot without pulling power

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:31 pm

I've tried several different commands such as "reboot" and "shutdown -r 0" and the system will go through the process of shutting down and turning off the screen output, but then it stops. The lights remain on, but nothing happens. The only solution I've found was pull the power and plug it back in to get it to boot back up.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas to resolve it? I'm running Debian.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi won't reboot without pulling power

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:27 pm

It's importanr to discover if the failure is to shutdown, or to reboot. If the network LEDs go off, then it has shutdown correctly.

If the network LEDs remain on, then it is a problem with a package in the distrubution not shuttown down correctly.
You could try "sudo reboot -f" to make the application halt less politely.
It would be interesting to determine if a clean install of Debian (or whichever distribution) does this, or if it starts happening after installing a package, or reconfiguring something).

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:27 pm

<aol> Me too </aol>.

I'm running armedslack-current, with the latest git firmware (fc0232a) and the latest git kernel (d274376, cross compiled on x86_64, own config). Shutdown -h is fine, but shutdown -r puts the display into powersave and hangs with the OK led stuck on. I *think* this started with a recent kernel (but, other than this reboot problem, the recent kernels are vastly improved wrt the SD cards I'm using).
Slackware ARM on the Raspberry Pi -> http://www.daves-collective.co.uk/raspi/

AmrineA

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks, I will look more closely at it the next time I reboot it and report back what I find. Currently I'm running raspbian, which I installed using the network install to keep it as clean as possible. I couldn't get netatalk to work without a kernel panic when I used the prebuilt Debian version.

AmrineA

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:39 pm

55020 wrote:<aol> Me too </aol>.
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.

dom

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:41 pm

Please report if the network LED's go off.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:46 pm

dom>> Please report if the network LED's go off.

I can tell you that now. They don't. They stay on, as does the 'OK' led.

carl_retrotext

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:20 pm

mine never reboots, nor shuts down it just halts the system - I have just switched off and on to restart it.

kshrwood02

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Even with sudo reboot -f mine still hangs. The network LEDs stay on.

Additionally, it only boots correctly less than half the time - the other half the red LED comes on, but nothing else. I've let it sit for up to a minute with nothing.

I've reimaged the SD card, but that shouldn't be related to the boot issue should it?

AmrineA

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:11 pm

kshrwood02 - I have the same problem with it not always wanting to start. Usually it happens for me when I unplug it and plug it back in right away. I've started waiting 10 seconds after unplugging it and plugging it back in and that seems to have resolved. Unfortunately, yours sounds much worse.

kshrwood02

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:21 pm

I wait 15-20 seconds before powering it back up, but it's still hit or miss.

Hermann

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:50 pm

Mine does not reboot either with Debian squeeze. Not even with a fresh installed image. All the LEDs remain on. It reboots with Openelec and Arch though.

For a while I had the same problems with Debian only booting now and then. It turned out to be the SD card(s). I have two identical cards (SanDisk 4GB class 4) that show this problem. All my other cards work perfectly.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Update: I think, for me at least, that it's just the ongoing SD card problem in a new guise.

Kingston 8Gb class 4 card => halts fine, reboots fine
Sandisk 8Gb class 4 card => halts fine, won't reboot

This is with identical images. Yes, that's 100% absolutely block-for-block trust-me-I'm-a-sysadmin identical (cloned with 'dd' on an i686 box). Latest git firmware fc0232a and latest git kernel d274376, as I previously mentioned.

Ironically, with earlier kernels, it was the Kingston that caused lots of bother and the Sandisk that was fine. But I'm happy to do a bit of power cycling in return for all the manifest benefits of the latest kernel's sd support.

MrMumps

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:40 pm

I was having the same problem but it began rebooting correctly after I edited my fstab file. I was following the instructions in this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4VovMDnsIE
The fstab bit starts at around the 7 minute mark. It's a bit late now but when I have some time I'll see if I can find which change it was in the file that made the difference (or whether it was coincidence).

AmrineA

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:58 pm

I tried reboot -f and it rebooted. However it didn't seem to display any of the usual information about services shutting down. It simply sat there for a second and then started booting. Does using reboot -f have the potential to corrupt anything?

casestudies

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:17 pm

RPI rebooted fine with Squeeze but the OS would not boot with the larger SD card I bought. SD card wouldn't boot with the larger card so I installed Weezy which booted. However, rebooting would hang after the system halted and would have to be power cycled. Updating the firmware using this: https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update

Had to install Github from repository, and had to use full download link: https://raw.github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-updat ... rpi-update for it to download using wget.

RPI reboots fine now...

KDMcM

Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:56 am

I'm running Jessie Light. sudo reboot freezes my system, but the activity light continues for flash (I let it go for about 2 minutes before I pull the plug to reboot). The sudo reboot -f works fine, but just seems a bit rude!

For info, sudo shutdown now also freezes my system, but the activity light continues for flash (until I get fed up and pull the plug).

Would be nice if I could do a more polite reboot. Is this likely to be due to a process I'm running (eg MPD server)?

Thanks.

ramsing

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:24 am

I have the same issue on a PI3 with Jessie Lite and Home-Assistant installed. As I use the Pi with no monitor or keyboard, I control it Via putty. Sudo reboot just hangs the system. The power has to be cut to make it restart properly.

Regards
Ramsing
Denmark

dom

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:28 pm

ramsing wrote:I have the same issue on a PI3 with Jessie Lite and Home-Assistant installed. As I use the Pi with no monitor or keyboard, I control it Via putty. Sudo reboot just hangs the system. The power has to be cut to make it restart properly.
Does this work:

Code: Select all

sudo reboot -f
Note, it doesn't politely wait for all services to shut down first, so could result in service state not being saved, but should be safer than pulling power.
If this still fails it is probably a kernel issue. If this works then you probably have installed a service that is hanging.

hankapsu

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:13 am

I am wondering if this issue was solved as I am experiencing the same problem.

So I carried following tests to find what is actually causing problem
OS is Jessie Lite
RPI3 1: add cronjob @reboot sh /home/pi/reboot.sh (this sh file executes "sudo reboot")
RPI3 2: add cronjob @reboot sh /home/pi/reboot.sh => reboot.sh executes a python script which calls sudo reboot with subprocess.

The only thing I found was that first test fails much less than later one (python)

Jessie and Jessie Lite had same issue.

I checked log files in /var/log/ and shutdown just stopped without any crash in kernel what so ever.

I also tested with 247 PIs and send a command to reboot (sudo reboot or sudo reboot -f) over network so python script on each PI receives and execute sudo reboot with subprocess.
Random PIs failed to reboot. One device fails within 20 tests. Sometimes all reboot ok for 90 times of test.

My RPI firmware version is 24/10/2017.

Are there anyone who is experiencing the same issue?
It be great if we can share information to tackle this issue.

Thank you
Kapsu

arloane

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:33 am

I have been experiencing the same reboot or restart / boot up issues since I started using the pi earlier this year. It Has been quite frustrating. I noticed after the last clean install of rasbian I had 0 problems until I enabled the open GL driver. At first I thought it was because I had the monitor Congo set to dvi instead of hdmi, but I have had nothing but reboot issues that kept getting worse. I recently changed the red led status indicator to flash like a heartbeat an observed the led doing different things based on how far it got on the boot up unroll it hung. No help there though, because it was erratic. One time it would come back up and she sd card would blink, the red led would flash then go solid on and the green led would hang on too; another time the red led would flash, green flashed then the red light would go off and green would stay on. Other tines, both flashing then both go out. Something screwy is going on in the kernel.

odoy

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:19 pm

Happens to me too and cost me one hole day :(
I forgot I replaced my sata connector a few days ago and that was it.
Im back on my disassembled Seagate backup slim housing. works perfect on every reboot

btw i don't use a sd card, just a ssd disk

DougieLawson

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:48 pm

odoy wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:19 pm
Happens to me too and cost me one hole day :(
I forgot I replaced my sata connector a few days ago and that was it.
Im back on my disassembled Seagate backup slim housing. works perfect on every reboot

btw i don't use a sd card, just a ssd disk
Not sure why you bumped an ancient thread rather than starting another (it's a very bad idea since your problem is entirely unrelated to the problems described at the top of this thread).

sudo apt update && sudo apt -y dist-upgrade
that will pull in latest firmware/bootcode and stable kernel that doesn't have the hang during shutdown problem.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

PlanB

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:49 am

Is there indication of what was actually causing the hang in reboot Dougie? I ask because I had a bunch of Jessie Lite PIs that used to reboot reliably then they didn't & I was wondering if some update I did actually introduced the problem?

DougieLawson

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:59 am

I think it's a kernel or bootcode bug.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Troubleshooting”