intosite

SSH - Server Closed Connection Unexpectedly after password

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Running Rasbian and installed SSH.
Was previously able to SSH in.
But it seems that i'm unable to SSH anymore.
Tried Putty & Kitty on Windows 8 and an Android App SSH Client.

For the windows apps, after keying in the right password, it will show the "Server Unexpectedly Closed network Connection" error. But if i just keyed in a wrong password, it will say Access denied.

What is happening?

intosite

Re: SSH - Server Closed Connection Unexpectedly after passwo

Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:38 am

I've managed to fixed it, but am not sure what went on and how to prevent it from happening again.

I managed to get a screen hooked up to the raspberry and changed it from a static IP to DHCP. Tested SSH n it works. Changed it back to static IP and tested SSH and it now works.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on and how to prevent it from happening again? Cause i might be bringing it out to the fields for a week and won't have a display to connect to debug it.

Thanks~!

Rilhas

Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:32 pm

That happens to me periodically. Usually a restart solves it. I have no explanation for that, but I have a theory that something gets corrupted (in RAM).

When it happens, the Pi can become completely unresponsive, sort of like dead. On other occasions, some applications are still running, while others aren't. Sometimes the SSH connection doesn't fail immediately, and can keep trying to connect for a long time before failing. Sometimes it succeeds, eventually. When it succeeds, it may be slow as to the point of being unusable. So, I get all sorts of effects.

That used to happen to me very often (3 or 4 times a week), and I changed the power supply for a new more powerful one. The problem almost disappeared completely, but it still happens once every 2 or 3 months (running 24/7).

RaTTuS

Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:21 pm

possibly something else on the network has the same IP ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “Troubleshooting”