Grumpy Mike

Re: rpi-update, now no longer boots

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:31 am

I have just fallen into this trap as well. Finally after many hours I got rpi-update to work and now it refuses to boot.
However, I am on a Mac and it was able to delete the start.elf and rename one of the other files. Much good did it do me because it still won't boot!

Anyone got any good ideas apart from selling this blasted board on ebay?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:21 am

Grumpy Mike wrote:I have just fallen into this trap as well. Finally after many hours I got rpi-update to work and now it refuses to boot.
However, I am on a Mac and it was able to delete the start.elf and rename one of the other files. Much good did it do me because it still won't boot!

Anyone got any good ideas apart from selling this blasted board on ebay?
Can you describe failure to boot?
Any activity on OK LED? Anything on display?

Grumpy Mike

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:01 pm

No video out.
Perhaps two very brief flashes on the green LED but it might be one.

dom

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:19 pm

I'd suggest comparing the files on your sdcard with these here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot

and replace any that are different.

It will be bootcode.bin, loader.bin or start.elf that is corrupt.

Grumpy Mike

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:32 pm

I replaced all the files in the boot sector like you said.
Now I get a very large full screen display of all the colours fading into each other.

The second time I tied booting I got this image and then it went to a blank screen with the raspberry logo in the left hand corner much larger than normal, with a blinking cursor and no text.

It now does that every time.

Let's call it the rip-upgrade, because it is dead now. I can't understand why my experience is different from other people but I am getting used to this with this board.

dom

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Grumpy Mike wrote:Let's call it the rip-upgrade, because it is dead now. I can't understand why my experience is different from other people but I am getting used to this with this board.
Do you have a different sdcard to try? It could be that card is on its last legs.

Grumpy Mike

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:35 pm

It is a brand new card, it is only four weeks old!

Grumpy Mike

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:10 pm

I put debina6-13-04-2012 back on the card and it works like it always did.

So my recommendation to anyone thinking of trying rip-update is don't bother.

At least when Microsoft mugs you with a bogus update all you loose is your money. With this you loose several days of your life.

SirLagz

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:17 am

I also had this issue.
Ripped the boot partition from the newest debian wheezy beta and it all booted up fine now.
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

IDE

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:25 am

I've been never able to boot from Wheezy..

AlanSE

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:39 pm

I have this same problem. I used the most recent 2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian.img, and it gave the splash screen and never got passed it. The green light looks like it's blinking 3 times. I tried replacing the loader.bin with the suggestions linked to in this thread and that didn't help.

Now, I'm confused about one thing. People have been saying that the SD writer had problems. Does this refer to the Image Writer for Windows?
https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer

The most recent version they have was 2012-4-16. I'm awfully confused. What should I replace in order to get my Pi working? Are people saying that if I write the 2012-06-18-wheezy-beta.img version with the current Image Writer that it should work? Sorry, I don't understand a lot of what people have said in this thread and could use some help.

0xdr01d

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Same Problem here, updated via RPI-Update today.

The Pi reboots without any problems but when i shut it down, it won't start again (hangs at the rainbow-screen). This happens to both of my PIs. :?

I also tried to copy the firmwarefiles manually from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware with no success. If i take the firmware-files from the 08-12 Wheezy image it works flawlessly.

Any Ideas?

dom

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:35 pm

0xdr01d wrote:I also tried to copy the firmwarefiles manually from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware with no success. If i take the firmware-files from the 08-12 Wheezy image it works flawlessly.
What do you have in your config.txt?
Can you narrow it down? Does new everying, but older start.elf make it work?
Can you find the most recent working start.elf? (all the older versions are available from github)

SiriusHardware

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:03 pm

ren41 wrote:It's plugged into a screen - it says nothing, it's blank.

I have a dual boot PC but it doesn't have an Sd card slot.

Ren
Some surprisingly recently made computers have SD card readers which do not support SDHC cards, only the original SD type which go to a maximum of 2GB.

If you are in the UK, Poundland do a cheap, plasticky looking USB SD card reader which, although no mention is made of SDHC on the packaging, works fine with SDHC cards.

schicki

Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:55 am

It looks to me like the arm240_start.elf is broken in the repository under https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware.

Just look at the filesize:
arm128_start.elf 2465.904 kb
arm192_start.elf 2465.904 kb
arm224_start.elf 2465.904 kb
arm240_start.elf 642.192 kb

I can't get the 240 split to work again, using 224 now.

RaTTuS

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:30 am

on the most recent update
I cannont use arm240 or arm 224 start files with my rotated display
arm128 and arm192 both work
this is probably the rotation but I can check if required
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

0xdr01d

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:46 pm

dom wrote:
0xdr01d wrote:I also tried to copy the firmwarefiles manually from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware with no success. If i take the firmware-files from the 08-12 Wheezy image it works flawlessly.
What do you have in your config.txt?
Can you narrow it down? Does new everying, but older start.elf make it work?
Can you find the most recent working start.elf? (all the older versions are available from github)
arm_freq=1100
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage=6

^These are the only changes I made.

I just tried the 224_start.elf and my PI boots again and all other fw-files are up-to-date :D
It seems that the latest 240_start.elf is broken, like schicki said.

kevs3d

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:09 pm

I had the same issue after a few kernal crashes and reboots during my overclocking experiments, fixed from backups fortuntately. Seems it's quite easy to corrupt the sd card. I've managed it twice now :roll:

Kev
--
http://www.kevs3d.co.uk/dev - HTML5 canvas games, demos and utils.

Steven Boelens

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:19 am

After doing a rpi-update yesterday I see some similar problems, but with a twist. My Pi boots every third or fourth powerup and hangs the other times.

I was working with the Wheezy image from aug. 16 without any problems. Because I want to hook up some sensors that are not in the current kernel I am looking into building a custom kernel. One of the walkthroughs mentioned the rpi-update which I did.

After the rpi-update the pi wouldn't reboot. Disconnected the power, reconnected the power and SUCCES. The Pi boots normally and works like a charm. So I concluded that this was a one-time problem and continued.

I then installed a custom kernel (cross-compiled) and rebooted. Nothing. Disconnect / reconnect power, nothing. Disconnect / reconnect power again, SUCCES. The pi boots succesfully without any problems, with my new kernel. I did some preliminary tests and didn't see any problems with the system at this time (other than the boot-issue).

It seems that the reboot problem was not a one-time problem. The reboot problem seems to be recurring. About 1 every three or four reboots the Pi boots normally, the other times the Pi simply hangs at boot-time. The display then shows a color gradient screen, no text, nothing but the gradient.

I checked the /boot/ directory and the arm240_start.elf seems strange, it is smaller compared to the other splits. The start.elf has the same smaller size.

Now I can easily understand why my Pi won't boot anymore if this is the problem with a corrupt start.elf. But what I don't understand is why my Pi still successfully boots every third or forth time?

Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks,
Steven Boelens.

obcd

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:35 am

armxxxstart.elf isn't really used during bootup. The one used is arm.elf which is basically a copy of one of those files. So, if you copy arm240start.elf to start.elf, it likely won't work as the smaller size file indeed seems corrupt. You still have the other memory split options that should work fine.
It's a known issue, but it's not related to your boot problem.
Have you measured the voltage between TP1 - TP2? Below 4.85V might cause issues. Not sure if occasionally not booting is one of them.
Another thing worth giving a try is another sd card. Maybe your Pi is having problems to read from it occasionally.
I assume you haven't overclocked the Pi? Such can cause stability issues as well.
There used to be an usb patch in /boot/cmdline.txt that caused issues with the sd card. So maybe you could post the contents of those file?

dom

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Steven Boelens wrote:I checked the /boot/ directory and the arm240_start.elf seems strange, it is smaller compared to the other splits. The start.elf has the same smaller size.
I've just looked into this, and done a "rpi-update 240" and it has booted okay. the 240M split *should* be smaller. That's how it squeezed more RAM for the arm by linking with fewer libraries (i.e. no openGL/openMAX)
Note: rotated console won't work with 240M split - the extra transposed buffers don't fit. I would expect 224M to work.

Code: Select all

ls -l /boot/start.elf /boot/arm240_start.elf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 642992 Sep 15 12:00 /boot/arm240_start.elf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 642992 Sep 15 12:02 /boot/start.elf
md5sum /boot/start.elf /boot/arm240_start.elf
f0f933d4b0cb51afac5cf7485ae65516  /boot/start.elf
f0f933d4b0cb51afac5cf7485ae65516  /boot/arm240_start.elf
If you are failing to boot with 240M split, can you report what's in your config.txt file. Report if it ever boots. Report if it still boots without a config.txt.
Try adding a "boot_delay=5" to config.txt.

If anyone is happily using the latest 240M split, please report that too.

pluggy

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:12 pm

I would recommend you don't use rpi-update unless you need the absolute latest possibly buggy updates. Using Raspbian,

(sudo) apt-get upgrade
will update the operating system to the latest stable version
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

0xdr01d

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:34 pm

I just tried the latest 240_start.elf and both of my PIs boot fine again.

[email protected] ~ $ ls -l /boot/arm240_start.elf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 516484 Sep 15 15:20 /boot/arm240_start.elf

[email protected] ~ $ md5sum /boot/arm240_start.elf
1e2f1bc121c86ec99c235855cbce7159  /boot/arm240_start.elf
-0xdr01d

jui-feng

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:22 pm

If anyone is happily using the latest 240M split, please report that too.
The latest 240M split (same as 0xdr01d) boots on my raspi. Yesterday I had boot problems and temporarily switched to 224M.

Steven Boelens

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:01 pm

I looked into the suggestions posted here and these are my results:

As for the SD card. I have 2 Pi's using 4 SD cards of the same brand and type. I haven't had any problems with the SD cards before since I got my Pi's (beginning of august). So I think it unlikely that this is card related.

I replaced the start.elf with another memory split and did a number of quick power-down and power-up cycles. This succeeded 10/10 times.
Checked the MD5 signatures of my files with the signatures posted here. Identical.
Measured the voltage: 4.64V (a bit on the low side).
Now replaced the start.elf with my previous 240/16 split that seemed to have the problem.
Did a number of quick power-down power-up cycles. 10/10 were successful.
Hooked up the Pi to another power supply. Booted without problem. Voltage TP1 - TP2: 4.94V.

Now I was about to report that it wouldn't give any problems anymore when I reconnected the Pi to the USB hub in my monitor and it didn't boot anymore.

Now what was different now from the 10 boots earlier? The time the Pi wasn't powered before getting power. So I disconnected and reconnected the power quickly and the Pi boot normally.

Now I tried this a few times. If I leave the Pi unpowered for some time (30 seconds for example) the Pi won't boot. If I then unpower and power-up the Pi quickly (1-2 seconds) the Pi boots successfully.

I tried with 10 seconds powered off: success.
30 seconds: fail.

Now with the boot_delay=5 as suggested by Dom. My config.txt only had comments and no active values in it. I assume that is the default. I added the delay. Powered down, waited a minute and reconnected the power: Fail.
Now the red power-led turns on and stays on. The green Ok led flashes a few times (irregular, not a nice pattern). Then 5 seconds no green led. Then one green flash. That's it.

Tried again. Left the power off for a minute and powered back up. Same result. Some green flashes, 5 second delay, one green flash. That's it.

Now a quick cycle: The Pi boots successfully like before but with a 5 second delay. The boot_delay doesn't seem to do any good (removed it again in the config.txt).

I wondered if the power supply through the USB hub in the monitor would be sufficient. The voltage was a bit on the low side using the monitor to power the Pi. So I disconnected the Pi, waited a minute and powered the Pi through a separate adapter. Failure like before. Repeated, once again failure. Measured the TP1 - TP2 voltage (when the Pi wouldn't boot): 5.12V. When I measured the TP1 - TP2 voltage using the monitor the voltage (when the Pi was in the failure mode, only the red power led is on) the voltage was 5.00V.

After repeated boot failures with the separate power supply (5V 2000mA) I did a quick power-cycle. The Pi boots OK.

So the USB hub in the monitor isn't the problem as well.

As far as I can tell now the only constant factor is the unpowered time. If that is too long the Pi won't boot.

I tried to change the split back again to 224/32. I copied the file in the boot directory and did a sudo halt right after that.

I noticed that the sudo halt command took longer than normal. Reboot and now the Pi won't reboot at all anymore. The green led flashes 6 times in a regular pattern.

Now I first have to rewrite the card with a backup from last night and try that again. I also got a few new cards to try with the new/old firmware, just in case it is somehow card related.

More later when I have restored the card with a backup from last night.

Return to “Troubleshooting”