LastSilmaril

Is it dead, Jim?

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:36 am

Freaking out a bit. Video output from the Pi via HDMI is all screwy. With my regular cable, I got no video at all. Switching to a different one, I got intermittent flashes of the text (OpenELEC - nothing shines through with Arch Linux), which progressively deterioriates on each flash, followed by nothing. Tried removing all custom configurations from the config.txt (arm_freq, hdmi_mode, disable_overscan)...still nothing. Tried a different television - running the Pi through my receiver - and managed to get a usable screen 2 out of 3 times (1st try - yes, 2nd - no, 3rd - yes after jiggering the cable) but on the third try it appeared the Pi locked up after successfully displaying the OpenELEC profile choice screen. Then I decided to jigger the cable again, which promptly caused the screen to green for half a second and then disappear entirely.
So, am I SOL? Anything else I should try before declaring it dead and hopefully getting a replacement?

LastSilmaril

Re: Is it dead, Jim?

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:38 am

Some more details - all I have plugged into USB is the dongle for my Lenovo Wireless keyboard remote. The card is an ADATA 8GB that I've had no trouble with. I'm using build r11318 of OpenELEC, which was working fine less than 24 hours ago.

LastSilmaril

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:09 am

Just tried jiggering again with a different cable. If I get it in position *just right* it'll show something, as long as I hold it down. As soon as I stop applying force, the picture goes to green and then black.
soo...anybody have experience RMAing these things?

LastSilmaril

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:19 am

I do think the original cable is junk though; it won,t work with my laptop anymore. I guess it,s possible that all my cables are somehow faulty, but that would be odd considering that theyd seem to be working with different hardware (the exception being the cable I normally use, which is toast.)

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:11 am

If the cable is questionable I'd try config_hdmi_boost from here:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... VI_monitor

LastSilmaril

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:46 pm

dom wrote:If the cable is questionable I'd try config_hdmi_boost from here:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... VI_monitor
Hmm, thanks dom, but that doesn't seem to have made a difference. Problem persists even when using high numbers for short cables. Tried with yet another cable earlier today and all I got was green flashes, even with config_hdmi_boost. Grr. I guess I'm calling Farnell. I just wish I knew what could have caused a failure like this though...

abishur

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:59 pm

I realize that what I'm about to say sounds like a real "duh" statement, but I was having these issues at first until I realized that I hadn't seated my hdmi cable all the way for fear of breaking something. So are you certain your hdmi cable is fully inserted into the pi?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

LastSilmaril

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:41 pm

abishur wrote:I realize that what I'm about to say sounds like a real "duh" statement, but I was having these issues at first until I realized that I hadn't seated my hdmi cable all the way for fear of breaking something. So are you certain your hdmi cable is fully inserted into the pi?
I'm seating it the same way I was before. Pushing the cable as far in as I could with each cable I use. At wit's end here; don't think there's much else I could do except try more cables and TVs. It would be nice to know why the port failed all of a sudden.

abishur

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Dom definitely knows video stuff the best so hopefully he'll be able to give better answers, but one more shot in the dark from me. Have you tried completely removing the config.txt file and rebooting?

edit: or completely re-imaging the SD card?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

LastSilmaril

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:57 pm

abishur wrote:Dom definitely knows video stuff the best so hopefully he'll be able to give better answers, but one more shot in the dark from me. Have you tried completely removing the config.txt file and rebooting?

edit: or completely re-imaging the SD card?
Yeah, I tried without a config - that didn't help. But I haven't tried a new image from scratch. I guess I'll do that but I'm not hopeful. Thanks though.

dom

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Sounds like a physical connection issue between Pi and tv.
If you've swapped cables and displays with no improvement then I guess it needs an RMA.
Probably the HDMI socket on Pi. (Worth having a close look for anything out of place).

jbeale

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:40 pm

the symptoms reported match an intermittent contact. Could be the cable itself, the HDMI socket pins, the solder joints between the socket and the PCB, or a combination of those. With different cables showing the same problem, if they are firmly seated, that suggests the socket or the board to me. Worthwhile to try a close visual inspection, although a slightly bent pin or hairline crack can be nearly impossible to see.

edit: I see dom and I think alike :-)

LastSilmaril

Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:08 pm

Just got off the phone with Farnell Export. They do have stock reserved for replacement, so they'll be shipping me a new one via UPS. No word on whether I need to send back the faulty one.

Thanks for the help everyone!

quantasized

Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:40 pm

I seem to be having a similar trouble. I was fooling round with my SD card and a bit back and forth from my laptop with the card and (all the while getting more excited) and the last time I removed my SD card before it seemed to have no HDMI out I had taken out my card before unplugging the power... the system was halted but the power was still on. After that, there was no video from the Pi. I tried reformatting and burn a new copy of the image (Debian Squeeze). No luck at this point. Any ideas would be good about now. I will try the other linux images just to see but I am not expecting anything.

Thanks much....
My other post is #8822

RaTTuS

Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:57 pm

let the RPi cool down [well the polyfues] and re-power it
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

quantasized

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Well... it appears as though it is bricked!
Not sure if it was really cause of me or not.
Me thinks not, but I will call the element 14 people anyway to see what I can do about it.

quantasized

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Ok. Not Bricked! Just cant figure out why the HDMI stopped (or rather looks like trash... hsync or vsync or both). The analog out works but I am not sure what people are talking about with the settings in "config.txt" I am using Debian Squeeze latest and there is no such file. I am about to test Archlinux and see if there is any better response. I did try anopther SD card too... but not any better. Different distro here I come!

xyster

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:18 pm

I'm also having some problems with my RasPi that I just got yesterday.

Installed XBMC; didn't tinker with the system settings once loaded. Everything seemed fine, even got half way through a DIVX movie before the panasonic TV flickered black. completely out of the blue.

Reset the RasPi; no HDMI signal. Tried the composite cable instead - no signal.

SSH and XMBC remote are working though, after a reboot, so I know its booting and running. The lights say things are normal. Tried it on a LCD monitor -- no signal.

Lots of power available to the device.. only ethernet and HDMI/composite connected.

Debian Squeeze not giving me a signal either.

Dammit, I think my RasPi is now a cripple...

Ideas?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:12 pm

quantasized wrote:Ok. Not Bricked! Just cant figure out why the HDMI stopped (or rather looks like trash... hsync or vsync or both). The analog out works but I am not sure what people are talking about with the settings in "config.txt" I am using Debian Squeeze latest and there is no such file. I am about to test Archlinux and see if there is any better response. I did try anopther SD card too... but not any better. Different distro here I come!
The PI is practically unbrickable unless you try to power it with 12V instead of 5V. If you format the SD-card, and put a new image on it it should be "unbricked".

If config.txt isn't there (in /boot) then it hasn't been created, (during first boot) in that case simply created a normal text file (an ASCII cleartext file, not a wordprocessor file, such as .DOC or .RTF , but a simple .TXT file, and fill it with the commands you want to give (as shown in the wiki).

Also I like to stress that any HDMI or DVI monitor you connect to the PI should be on when booting, or the PI cannot read monitor details out of the monitor (and with it automatically create an appropriate config.txt file).

Return to “Troubleshooting”