vfwfw

Wireless USB not working

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:55 am

I have a Linksys Rangeplus Wireless USB dongle which I cannot get working. I have found several tutorials detailing the steps to get it working and everything seems to work (ie. installing the driver,etc) and the dongle is displayed when I enter the lsusb command, however when I try the lsmod command the module is not listed and also when I try ifconfig only the loopback and ethernet adapters are showing.

All the tutorials I have found assume that when you get to this point the wlan0 module will be there and I can't find anything about what to do if it's not!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

jecxjo

Re: Wireless USB not working

Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Sorry dumb questions first, are you using a powered hub to connect the USB Stick to the Pi? Before the actual radio in the stick powers up, my wifi adapter would show up with lsusb and iwconfig. Once I turned it on iwconfig wlan0 power on then the power usage increased and it would actually power cycle the adapter over and over.

If you are using a powered hub then can you get a bit of info for us: lsusb, lsmod, dmesg.

This info will help us see what is going on.
xmpp: jecxjo@dukgo.com
Blog: http://jecxjo.motd.org/code

Alan Thew

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:26 pm

iwconfig wlan0 power on doesn't turn the adaptor on; it turns power management on. In fact I have to issue iwconfig wlan0 power off in order to make my adaptor work properly, otherwise the power management disconnects it after a while.

But jecxjo is right, lsusb will list your adaptor even if it's plugged into an unpowered hub, or directly into the Pi, but you'll probably need a powered hub to get it to actually work.

What steps have you followed, exactly? Have you edited /etc/network/interfaces to add details of your wifi network (ssid, preshared key, key management etc) and are you then using ifup wlan0 to bring it up? Or does the tutorial suggest a different method?

jecxjo

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Alan Thew wrote:iwconfig wlan0 power on doesn't turn the adaptor on; it turns power management on. In fact I have to issue iwconfig wlan0 power off in order to make my adaptor work properly, otherwise the power management disconnects it after a while.
Oops thanks for catching that, I meant to say when I turn power management off the power usage increased and caused the reset of my adapter. Thats what I get for answer questions early in the morning.
xmpp: jecxjo@dukgo.com
Blog: http://jecxjo.motd.org/code

Return to “Troubleshooting”