p.brown181

One SD card not booting

Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:14 am

I've been using my Raspberry Pi model B for a few weeks now with a total of three different SD cards so far. All of a sudden, one of these SD cards, which is 8Gb can no longer be booted from, although the other two (both 4Gb) still work. I think something on this card has been corrupted, although I can still see various files on it when I insert it into my laptop. On this card, I used NOOBS to install Raspban, OpenElec, and Raspbmc. I've installed lots of video add ons under OpenElec, so I don't want to have to install them all again. What's a quick and easy way to make this card bootable again?

AndrewS

Re: One SD card not booting

Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:53 am

It's impossible to know what might have gone 'wrong' on the card, so I'm afraid it's impossible to suggest how to 'fix' it, without reformatting it to a blank state and starting again from scratch :(

(Or if you're an advanced user, you might want to have a play around with http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk but there's no way of knowing whether it will help or not)

p.brown181

Re: One SD card not booting

Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:22 am

The card soon started booting again and I think it may have been something to do with having to wait 5 minutes before trying to boot from it again. Unfortunately, most or even all of the XBMC video add ons no longer work, the RaspBMC installation never worked and I've hardly done any programming under Raspbian, so now I think it's time to reformat this SD card and try another distro which will turn my Raspberry Pi into something else. I've just been to a supermarket where I read a couple of pages of Linux Format magazine, which mentioned another distro called Chameleon Pi. This is basically a classic gaming and programming platforms system, which seems to be much easier to set up than Retropie http://www.stefanopaganini.com/raspberr ... -tutorial/ .

Return to “Troubleshooting”