allenjh

Wifi + Raspberry Pi camera = no SSH

Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:28 pm

I'm setting up my Model A with an Edimax mini WiFi dongle and Raspberry Pi Camera as a security camera system. I've set everything up and had the system running without the camera installed. Happily SSH in and setting everything up. I then connect the camera and I can SSH in for a couple of minutes and it kicks me off. My network scanner can no longer see it, and my router no longer thinks it's connected. If I unplug it and remove the camera it works fine again.

Has anyone else seen anything like this before?

Many thanks in advance for any/all help or advice.

J

DougieLawson

Re: Wifi + Raspberry Pi camera = no SSH

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:44 pm

The camera needs a big powerful power supply. The Edimax needs a big powerful power supply. You probably have one that's too weedy for both.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

allenjh

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:42 am

So after much frustration and digging around, the problem is (as pointed out) the power supply. As soon as the camera kicks in, the wifi dies. But the issue I have is what power supply to purchase now?

The Raspberry Pi FAQ states: The maximum power the Raspberry Pi Model A and B can use is 1 Amp, so if you need to connect a USB device that will take the power requirements of the Raspberry Pi above 1 Amp then you must connect it to an externally powered USB hub.

Which isn't an option for running a security camera on the outside of the house!

So if I purchase a 2 Amp (or anything more than 1 Amp) will the Pi be able to use the extra power to enable both camera and wifi on a Model A? If anyone has any suggestions or has been able to successfully run a headless Model A with both the Edimax Wifi and the PiCamera board I would love to know which power supply you are using?

(ps the power supply I'm using is a 5V 1A)

Many thanks!

j

DougieLawson

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:46 am

Get a 2A power supply. Current ratings are only an indication that you'll get a stable voltage up to that current. The load will only draw the current it needs to run.

Something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Sized-De ... B00EJA28ES at £20 would be the ultimate supply for your Pis (and useful as a phone/tablet/camera charger).
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

ThomasDr

Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:05 am

allenjh wrote: (ps the power supply I'm using is a 5V 1A)
Hello,

i use a 5V/DC 1200mA power supply, with B+, Camera, WiFi and a 150mA IR Emitter.
it works without problems.

regards
Thomas

allenjh

Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:01 pm

Thanks both for the suggestions. I think part of the problem as well is the length of the cable. I'm using a 3 meter one now, which I think is also contributing to the problem. Need to rethink my positioning I think.

ThomasDr

Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:20 pm

Hello,

oh yes, this will it be.

regards
Thomas

allenjh

Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:46 am

So I have replaced the power supply with a 5V 1.5A power supply with a tortuously short lead on it. Its better, but still not great.

I've done some experimenting and I've narrowed down the fault a bit more. I'm using the Model A with an Edimax wifi mini dongle and the Raspberry Pi Camera Module. I have them setup as a security camera. I'm running Motion on the latest version of Rasbian. And that's where the problem starts. As soon as I launch motion, it kills the wifi. I thought it was because of the power supply issue, but with a more robust power supply it is still happening. The bigger power supply now means I can SSH into the Pi, but it still takes 5 or more attempts to connect (previously it would take 30 or 40 attempts).

So is Motion just taking to much CPU power for anything else to run?

Thanks for all the help so far.

j

ThomasDr

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:01 am

Hello,

where you write the Motion files, on an exern shared folder over WiFi?
My Edimax connection was still poor and i change to Netis 300 Mbps Wireless N USB adapter with dual antenna.
Look at you Wifi Signal "sudo ifconfig wlan0 up" or "watch -n 1 cat /proc/net/wireless"

regards
Thomas

allenjh

Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:11 pm

Thomas,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually done a few things today.

First thing I did was:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge ifplugd 
which reduced the problem significantly.

I've got the videos being stored on a NAS box in the house, so yes the wifi limitations could be causing it, but looking at the Watch command you suggested, the link and level are both 100 (the Pi is 50cm from the WIFI AP). No errors or anything. But it still wasn't working properly.

So I've uninstalled and reinstalled Motion from scratch and it is much better. I've also done a autoremove and purge of some of the extra items installed to try and help clear things up.

So for now it is working. It would seem that the problem was many faceted! But thanks to the help, it seems to be working now.

j

Return to “Troubleshooting”