adrian.oconnor

Keyboard doesn't work

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:21 pm

Hello all,

I finally have a Raspberry Pi (yay!) but so far I can't get it working (boo). I'd really appreciate your help/advice. My problem is that the keyboard doesn't work (at all).

First of all, here's what I have.

I'm using an iPhone 4S charger (5V/1A) and a short USB lead to power it. I've tried different chargers/leads, though the other chargers were both rated 750mA.

I'm using a 16GB class 6 SD card. I've got a 4GB no-class card, but I haven't tried that yet.

I've tried both the Latest Debian Squeeze (debian6-19-04-2012.zip) and Arch Linux (archlinuxarm-29-04-2012.zip) distributions from the RaspberryPi Download page.

I've got an Apple wired keyboard A1243, rated 5V 1A max. According to the wiki, this keyboard needs a powered hub, so I ordered one of those (hasn't arrived yet).

I then bought a Microsoft Keyboard 600 (wired USB) which is 5V/100mA. The wiki said this keyboard should work, but I get the same thing -- no response at all at the login prompt. I've tried plugging in to both USB ports.

Is the iPhone charger just not stable enough maybe, despite being rated plenty strong enough? Would an iPad charger work better? Is it my keyboard(s)? Will the powered hub finally get it working? Is there any way I can use it without a powered hub?

I haven't measured the voltage yet, which is something I've seen people talking about. Is it worth doing that? I have a cheap multimeter at home that I bought years ago and never use. I'd love to get this working...

Many thanks!
Adrian

bredman

Re: Keyboard doesn't work

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:32 pm

It is most likely that you have a problem with your power supply or power cable. Try the troubleshooting instructions at
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems

There is a small chance that you have faulty USB ports. Try plugging in only an optical mouse and check if there is a red light at the bottom of the mouse.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Did you ever plug the Apple A1 keyboard into the pi ? If so you may of (temporarily) blown the pi's fuse. Give it some time and it may recover if it has.
Not a bad idea to get your meter up and running -you can check the voltage across tp1 & tp2 and also the resistance across the fuse.

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

adrian.oconnor

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:14 pm

I tried a mouse (a Microsoft USB 'wheel mouse optical'), but the little light didn't come on. Would it ordinarily come on right away, after powering up?

I also got the powered hub today (though it looks like the '2A switching power supply' is actually rated 500mA) and that made no difference -- still no response from the keyboard (or light on the mouse). I tried my un-rated (Boots branded) SD card, just in case, but that caused MMC read/write errors, so I went back to the 16GB class 6 card.

I'll try and measure the voltage on the board this weekend, and I'll also give it a go with my iPad charger (rated 2A, I believe). Failing that, could it be dead USB sockets? Is there any way I could test this beyond plugging stuff in -- fuses I could check with my multimeter etc?

Thanks very much!
Adrian

Alan Beech

Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:29 pm

I have exactly the same problem. Not even tries a mouse yet as the keyboard does not respond. Tried 4 different keyboards...just get to the login prompt and cant get any further.

I'm using an ipad power supply so its not the supply. Even tried with a powered usb hub but no luck.

I did notice that if i unplug the power from the usb hub the lights stay on so there is at least power on the usb ports.

I too am using a 16gb sd card. Using debian.

I was beginning to suspect the usb ports too.

Alan

adrian.oconnor

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:55 pm

I still can't fix my problem. Here's what I found today, after spending some more time on it:

1) Using the 5V/2A iPad power supply doesn't fix the issue - still no keyboard input
1a) Still doesn't work when using the iPad charger and the cheap powered hub
2) the mouse got power in those two tests though; in so far as it lights up. I can't log in to test it in X.
3) With just the iPad charger, I measured 4.9V across TP1 and TP2
3a) With the iPad charger and the powered hub plugging in, I measured 5.0V across TP1 and TP2

Today I was testing using the 16GB SD card, and I tried both Arch and Debian latest images. With Debian on the card, I also downloaded the firmware repo from github and copied the files in boot over to the SD card. That didn't make any difference to the keyboard problem.

I also only had the Apple keyboard today -- I left my Microsoft keyboard at the office. The Apple keyboard is also a two port hub, so I don't know if it needs more than 100mA. That said, it still doesn't work while connected to the powered hub, so I doubt that's it.

I would like to try connecting over ssh to the device. Unfortunately, when it's next to the internet router I have to run it headless, so I can't see what it says on screen. Anyway, when I tried doing that and plugging the ethernet cable, the link light didn't come on so I can only assume that eth0 isn't being brought up during boot in my image. When arch boots, it shows an error about device eth0 not being found.

It could still be a power issue -- I seem to remember the iPad charger only delivers the full 2A if the device does something special (shorts a pin to ground or something, I can't remember exactly what). It's probably that when plugged in to the Pi it's behaving as a 1A supply. I have a Garmin charger at home (5V/1A) so I tried that too, for kicks. Same problem.

My last hope is that where I work a few of the other people also have Raspberry Pi's now. I'm going to go and ask if any of them got theirs fully up and running, and if so I'll lend them my board and ask them to test it using their SD card, power supply, leads and keyboards. If it works from them, I'll use a process of elimination to work out which part of my setup is flakey. If it doesn't work, I'll send it back to RS.

therealeasterbunny

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Maybe power.

On the other hand it could be your 16gb card is too fast and you may need the debian patch. I see you have patched ... but fully?

In absence of other ideas, please see http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =28&t=7983

This worked for me.

If you dont want to try the solution above, try your 4GB card, you may be surpised as the 4GB card is probably only class 2 or 4 whereas your 16GB card maybe class 6 8 or 10. (Higher the class number, faster the card).
Last edited by therealeasterbunny on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bredman

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:37 pm

therealeasterbunny wrote:In absence of other ideas, please see http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =28&t=7983
This is unlikely to help if you are unable to login.

therealeasterbunny

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:39 pm

It would still be interesting to see how far they get by performing the steps, assuming a Windows PC is available. Worth a try. Maybe one of the steps in the write up will cure the issue with the login? Nothing ventured, nothing gained and as I say, in the absence of other possibles, its worth a try a 10 mins of the users time.

adrian.oconnor

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks for the link @therealeasterbunny. I think my problem's very different, but I'll certainly give it a try -- updating my 4GB card with the latest firmware/boot files. When I tried the 4GB card before I saw lots of errors (mmc interrupts or something), but it sounds like the latest firmware might potentially solve that...

The 16BG card is class 6 and boots up nice and fast - maybe 40 seconds or so to the login prompt. Of course, that's all well and good, but it just means I can't log in faster :(

therealeasterbunny

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:08 pm

OK no worries.

Hopefully the chaps at your work have got theirs so you can switch test.

Or (and I am guessing you are a million miles from me) if you live near Wigan, Lancs UK, I'm happy to switch test also - or maybe try a local Jam?

On the other hand, does anyone know if the Pi can be TELNETted to (can't test atm because my Pi is packed away for the weekend)? If so, maybe this is a way in via a wired ethernet cable from another PC to diagnose error logs etc? (Assuming the ethernet port is OK but no link light sounds ominous if not working together with usb suspected as being out.

If TELNET is not enabled by default, can anything be set in the boot folder or elsewhere to enable it? Or, I could make available a boot image with TELNET installed so it can be put on the card to try?

Alan Beech

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 am

I am going down the same route (as mentioned above i have exactly the same issue), have given mine to a work collegue to try.

Interstingly i am also using a 16gb class 6 card.

Will report back.

adrian.oconnor

Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:01 pm

@Alan Beech -- please do let us know what happens. I wonder if it could be a weird thing to do with the size of the SD card?

I'll certainly get one of the guys here to test my board also with their setup and report back.

Alan Beech

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Ok, my friend at work has tried it with a card and kit that works on his and the keyboard does not work for him either. Gonna have to go back :-(

adrian.oconnor

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Ah, that's sad. The guy I know with a definitely working Raspberry Pi isn't in this week, so I haven't been able to swap mine. I have tried a 4GB card with the latest firmware (and today's Debian) and still no joy, so I think it has to go back too :(

Colday213

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:32 pm

Im having exactly the same issue.
Boot it up and get no response from the keyboard. No lights, nothing.
I've brought an HP standard keyboard home from work but no joy there.

I shall take the Pi to work tomorrow as there is a guy there who had one and had it working before trying to switch too many amps across the GPIO ports and blew it to kingdom come. ( he has another one on order)

Hope it's not the USB ports. I'll be very sad if it is. (But will certainly be the story of my life if I have got a faulty one!)

I shall update tomorrow or the day after.
Motto: Si prius non succedunt, verto is off tunc tergum iterum.

Colday213

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:49 pm

In addition, I bought all leads and power supply from RS at the same time as the Pi. I also bought a 4GB SD card and I'm using the Debian Squeeze image.
I get nothing from the Mouse and it appears if I plug an Ethernet cable in I also get nothing. No Link light at all, either on the hub or the PI.
Motto: Si prius non succedunt, verto is off tunc tergum iterum.

Bigally

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Received RPi today! Gathered everything together including my 9yr old son, plugged everything in. Success! A pile of mainly unintelligble lines of words on display and then the password prompt. Here we go son.... but nowt! Ok maybe its the wrong keyboard, unplug kboard, plug in another, nothing again. Ok maybe it needs to "boot into it" so power off and back on again. Nothing. Mouse lights up no matter which port its plugged into. Try the powered hub. No use either. So its off to Tesco in the morning to pick up one of the basic kboards which is reported as working.
Its just so frustrating! If this doesn't work then what? Back to RS?

Bigally

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:38 pm

So got the Tesco multimedia kboard which was in the approved list still no joy. I tried all the possible combinations of mouse kboard and powered hub. At one point it worked! I logged in and off we go. I started to type in the correct time just to check that the kboard was working when it just stopped. Since then I have tried all the combinations again to no avail.
The power supply is the one I ordered from RS at the same time as the RPi.
I can see reference to both the usb mouse and the usb keyboard right at the start of the boot sequence so RPi can "see" them but later on it gives a message about "unable to enumerate usb port 1" which I assume is the main one on the board.I have videoed the boot sequence output of the screen if anyone would care to take a look. :( :( :(

ShoeflyDBM

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Same problem here; ordered the RPi with the standard power-supply cable and SD-card from RS Components.

At first I tried with the Debian "wheezy"-beta, and it booted up fine, but no keyboard worked so I couldn't log in. Once or twice the keyboard-lights have started blinking for a little while, but it's not consistent. I now have the newest OpenELEC-image on the SD-card, which also booted up fine. Now the keyboard sort of works, but in addition to my input it randomly "presses" keys by itself, making navigating the system a pain.

I've sent an email to RS about it, but have so far not received a reply. Most sources around here indicate that this is probably a power-issue — seeing as I'm using the cable RS supplied me with, that sort of sucks.

whereswayne

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:07 am

Same problem here. Using an Apple wired keyboard. No response at login. Very frustrating.

therealeasterbunny

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:15 am

Curious.

I made a new friend on Saturday after he emailed me.

I have a working Pi and he has issues with his so we agreed to get together at my house and do some swap testing.

After everything everywhere was swapped, tested, retested, reswapped, formatted belled out for power and retested, together with 2 different images, we came to the conclusion that:

a) His Pi board has an issue

or

b) The revision of the Pi board he has is incompatible with the flavours of Linux being distributed currently for the Pi (driver or some other issue with a component on the newer boards different to the first batch of Pis that were sent out?).

I bought my board from RS and so did he, however he received his Pi a week ago whereas I have had my Pi for a while now.

Looking at the Pis, they are different in the way the PCB marking and labels are shown. Where he has a big "CE" mark printed in white on the board near the power socket, I have some smaller different white writing.

My CE logo is on a sticker on the rear.

So, if the PCB is different, are the chips slightly different on the board which then causes an issue of hanging?

But also ... we noticed that the hanging also kicks in at different times, sometimes getting to the login you can just about login when it accepts no further input, others it hangs at login or even gets "Error -71" messages at boot.

Once curious thing is the Pi itself is still running internally because when the keyboard hangs (if plugged into the one USB port) I can unplug the keyboard, plug it in the other USB ports and wehey we are up and running again! But only for a few seconds then that hangs too.

Its as if the USB driver hangs then reloads on the other USB port then hangs also.

On a retry of the keyboard back into the first USB slot I get nothing so have to reboot the Pi.

Essentially, my Debian plus patches SD card which works in my Pi, fails in my friends Pi, witht he same kit plugged into it that was on my Pi.

Its either a faulty batch of boards or an incompatibility / bug in the flavours of OS for the Pi on these new boards.

adrian.oconnor

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:22 am

Thanks for all of your input. I think our devices must be from a faulty batch -- I'm going to print the return label and hopefully get it sent off today. I wonder how long they take to ship replacements -- has anybody else done that yet? Do we go to the back of the queue? I'll come back here and update once I have a replacement board...

It could be a firmware issue, but I think if that were the case it would be much more widespread. FWIW, my board is also from RS (and recently so), and has the big white CE mark. I wish I hadn't spent £20 on power, keyboards and cards to run these tests - this cheap computer has worked out pretty expensive and I haven't even been able to use it once yet :(

adrian.oconnor

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:35 am

Spotted this in the troubleshooting guide:

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... card.2C_KB

Interesting. Anybody care to try 'reflowing' the solder on the 25Mhz crystal "X1"? I think if I go anywhere near that with a soldering iron I'm going to kill C41 and C51 in a heartbeat...

The solder points on the side of the crystal that is nearest C41 do look much less, um, solder-y, than those on the other side (nearest C51) and than all four points on X2, but it looks like there should be enough there to make the connection.

The wiki entry links to three other forum posts on this topic, apparently, so I'll have a read of those later before I finally decide to send the thing back.

Bigally

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:35 pm

I met up with therealeasterbunny (as per his post above) and agree that we did an exhaustive swap of every peripheral and s/ware combination. As for resoldering X1 the bit on my soldering iron is the size of X1 so I agree with adrian.oconner that frying almost every adjacent component is a certainty. If anything the solder points on the C51 side look the least "solder-y" my Pi so it sounds as if there has been an issue with QC in that dept. Do I buy a tiny soldering iron and clamped magnifying glass for what may be its first and only ever use? I don't know anyone who has this setup but even if I did and the worst happened would RS honour the warranty?

Return to “Troubleshooting”