DougieLawson

Re: B+ Broken MicroSD reader

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:36 am

skylinefever wrote:B+
Return it to your vendor for a replacement.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

OrenPi

Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:40 pm

Hi
I purchase a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B from
"Microsoft Store - Order Confirmation (Order #14602036958)"
about 2 weeks ago; I now get about to set it up and I
notice it's not connecting to the monitor unless I
push the SD card further in the slot; and it doesn't stay in the slot.

I contacted Microsoft Store and they forward me to you guys.

Please help.

Thanks,

OrenPi

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:24 pm

The microSD card socket on the Pi 2B is of the click-in, click-out variety. When you push it in it will click and then come out a bit. The Pi can then boot. When you want to remove the microSD card you push it in again and then it comes out. From your description of the issue, if you need to hold the microSD card in all the time, your Raspberry Pi is broken.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation does not supply Raspberry Pi computers to Microsoft or anyone else.

Your contract is with the Microsoft shop, and it is they who should replace or refund your product.

tuna

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:19 am

Looking the board with the SDcard at the top, you will find an upside down "L" spring on the middle left. Very carefully bend the right hand end of the upper cross piece of this spring towards the motherboard. Try a SDcard. Bend again if it doesn't latch.

Experiment666

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:59 pm

I got a RPi2 from my daughter for Christmas. The MicroSD card slot operated fine the first time I inserted a new card. However, a few weeks later (i.e. today) I took the card out for the first time to use another MicroSD card with a different OS. The slot just kept ejecting the new card. It would not latch. I tried replacing the original card and that had the same problem. I inspected the mechanism under a bench magnifier for obvious defects I might repair, but whatever is causing the problem, it is not in a place I can see it. The previous suggestion of bending the part on the left does not look as if it would work given what I could see of how the mechanism operates. Anyway, I did not want to risk any deliberate damage, as my daughter had contacted the vendor she bought it from (Amazon) and it is being returned, with an immediate replacement sent out. I just hope the replacement doesn't develop the same fault. I can't say I have a high level of confidence now. There certainly seems to be a quality issue with this part. I mean, one swap-out before failure is unbelievably poor.

richs

Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:21 pm

I bought a Pi 2 and had the same problem. I used it once. and Raspberry told me to insert the MICRO SD card. I couldn't figure out what it meant. I'm a newbie. When I turned it off and went to unplug the Micro SD card it was sticking out. I tried to push it back in but it just pooped out again. I sent emails to Maker Media to get a replacement and they told me they credited my account for the purchase price. Now I have a FREE Raspberry Pi2 B but it still has a broken Micro SD socket. I rubber banded it and it works ok. But I can't put it into a box now. I assume it's still under warranty so how do I get it repaired? I would order a socked on eBay but I've never had to replace a socket on one of these. So help please.
How and where could I get it repaired?
If I have to do it what socket do I buy?
Is there a video on how to do it?
Thanks for the response,
richs

Burngate

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:27 pm

richs wrote:... I sent emails to Maker Media to get a replacement and they told me they credited my account for the purchase price. Now I have a FREE Raspberry Pi2 B but it still has a broken Micro SD socket...
Technically, you haven't got a free (broken) Pi, they gave you your money back, so it belongs to them.
You should really buy a new one from them, and return the broken one to them.

If you can't see what's wrong with the socket, then replacing it is the only option, and to do that you're going to have to learn how to solder.
Even then, it's going to be difficult.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:58 am

Burngate wrote:
richs wrote:... I sent emails to Maker Media to get a replacement and they told me they credited my account for the purchase price. Now I have a FREE Raspberry Pi2 B but it still has a broken Micro SD socket...
Technically, you haven't got a free (broken) Pi, they gave you your money back, so it belongs to them.
Not really. You've offered to return it to them but they don't want a broken Pi and it would cost them money to have it sent to them so they've waived that right. They've given you a free broken Pi.
Certainly in the UK (Distance Selling Regulations) the benchmark is that the transaction is entirely cancelled as if it never took place. You have to make the faulty goods available to them but once the situation is settled neither of you are under any further obligation.

topaz

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:22 pm

Same issue, brand new Pi2 micro SD card pops out.

Seems to be a very common problem.

DataJunkie

Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:18 pm

I just had the MicroSD slot on my RPi B+ break as well. I have to say though, it was surprisingly durable as it lasted a year velcroed to an often sub 20 F window with both a power cord and Ethernet cable hanging off of it. It started with the filesystem constantly getting corrupted. Now it won't boot.

Two things did it in. Probably the "hanging" on the window, and also a very poorly made case that put stress on the slot. I can't seem to find decent cases anywhere. They never seem to fit properly.

Thankfully I have two older boards I can use with the camera still, and an SD adapter.

rayjj

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:24 pm

I just got (via Canakit) a Pi 2 B, and after about 3 insert/remove cycles, it does the same thing. I'll ask about a replacement from the supplier, but am not hopeful. FWIW, the spring seems VERY strong compared to other spring loaded/latching style sockets. As far as I am concerned, they should just get a slide in socket without any latch or spring. Other equipment that has that work fine, and you just use a fingernail or corner of credit card should you want to remove it.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:59 am

rayjj wrote:As far as I am concerned, they should just get a slide in socket without any latch or spring. Other equipment that has that work fine, and you just use a fingernail or corner of credit card should you want to remove it.
That is precisely what has been done with the Pi Zero and the Pi 3B, although more for the reason that people kept accidently ejecting the card while the Pi was running.

edmun

Fri May 06, 2016 10:48 am

I have two Raspberry Pi Model A at my home. Just ordered Model B from PiHut, received an unit with a faulty MicroSD slot (so I am another one with this issue). I have received a fefund, can't get a replacement as at 99% of stores is "Out of stock" until August. Decided to rip off the slot and remove the spring. So far it's working.

rweinkauf

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Yeah, my Pi 2 is mounted in an HDMIPi HD screen, so when it stopped booting today I found out the MicroSD slot had failed. Sucks, definitely due to workmanship/bad source.

TaccomXX

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:08 am

Mine has a slightly unusual issue - The card latches in the slot no problem, but after a period of time stops reading. The OS becomes unstable and a reboot results in failure. Removing and reinserting the card works for a period of time from a few minutes to a few hours. Tried 5 cards from 3 manufacturers, same result every time. The cards work perfectly in an adapter in my Pi model B or in my two Pi 3s or my Pi Zero. The cards are fine, the Pi2 model B - not so much. Has anyone come up with a fix or should I try to find another socket and break out my SMD rework station?
1x Pi B, 1x Pi 2, 1x Pi 3. OS depends on what I'm trying to do. First computer - BBC Model B back in 84.

aamnah

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:51 am

I too have the same issue with a 2B+. The Micro SD card reader is broken. The card won't stay in the latch PLUS it won't boot either. The green (ACT) LED stays constantly on, won't blink. From what i've heard this happens when Raspberry Pi is unable to boot because it can't read from the SD card. I wouldn't say this happened after 3,4 uses, but the Pi was fairly new when this happened, couldn't have been more than 12 inserts. The Pi was a gift so no refunds for me.

abatista

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:23 am

For statistics purpose only, I have the same problem on a 2 pi b + (made in UK).
Be careful with this defect, because the card could jump out and never be found!

dunghnguyen

Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:50 am

I have the same issue now for my RPi2 the one I have used for nearly 2 years.

Any sufficient way to fix it? Thanks to advise.

rpdom

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:56 am

dunghnguyen wrote:Any sufficient way to fix it? Thanks to advise.
A bit of tape to hold the card in place, or an elastic band around the Pi?

The second method worked with my B+ which has been running without problems for 77 days since I last rebooted it (not because of a problem).

BMS Doug

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:25 am

Keyhole surgery to remove the spring so that the socket becomes friction lock only?
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

EmirBesic

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:58 am

Guys the best and easiest solution in my case was to take out spring on the right side of the slot. Down on the right side of the slot there is a small gap, I took the smallest screwdriver and pushed the spring out of its position towards the middle of the slot. It is without the lock function now just like in my Raspberry 3 model B that means I’ve got the newest slot on my Pi 2 already installed :) Took me one minute. Hope that this solves your nightmare :)

RDS

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:30 pm

EmirBesic wrote:... towards the middle of the slot ...
Did you manage to remove the spring completely or is it still within the card housing?

I have managed to jam an extremely small object through the gap to keep the card from springing back out, on one of my Pi's that suffered from this problem but I would have preferred to use the method that has been successful for you.

Keifer

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:20 am

I found a really easy fix. Poke a pin on the upper left hole on the side. Out pops a plastic part. Should be fine now!!
Was using rasp2 model b. Once in you can just use your fingernail to get it out. Works inside case too. Just use your fingernail to pop it out, might take a little bit of coaxing.
Hint: dont wiggle it out or it might angle and get stuck. If stuck, just wiggle it a bit to loosen it. So keep straight at all times!

Hope this helps :D
Attachments
20171207_030012.jpg
20171207_030012.jpg (149.77 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
20171207_030221.jpg
20171207_030221.jpg (222.97 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
20171207_025934.jpg
20171207_025934.jpg (214.74 KiB) Viewed 2372 times

atobi16

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:12 pm

The SD card just pops out of the slot when pushed in. An audible click is made as it bypasses the hold phase. I think it has something to do with the lever arm not fitting properly in the notch of the SD card.

I had no tape or string, so I just sat there with my thumb on the end of the card for the whole installation process.

The white square label reads 24/02.
The serial is 000000000235670b.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:36 am

Which model are you using, all Pi;s for the last couple of years have had push fit only connectors - no click.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “Troubleshooting”