user7743

Strange Boot Combinations

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:23 am

Hi all,

I have received my pi and I have successfully installed the Debian image onto an SD card and can boot the pi successfully. I have found some strange combinations that I am wondering if this is intended design or some form of error. Let me explain (the combinations below all assume that my SD card is in place and I am applying power through the microUSB connector).

If I connect my Pi to the TV via HDMI and apply power the Pi boots normally.
If I connect HDMI and an ethernet cable, the Pi boots normally.
If I connect only an ethernet cable (HDMI disconnected), the Pi will not boot.
If I disconnect the ethernet cable and HDMI, the Pi will boot. I can then attach the ethernet cable once it has started to boot and it continues normally. However things stall again if I ask for a reboot with the ethernet cable connected.

Should it be possible to boot in a headless way with the ethernet cable in place? Is there anything I need to configure to get this working or is there some for of fault here?

Thanks in advance.

Edited: I forgot to add, when trying to boot with ethernet attached only, the three LED's on the Pi associated with ethernet do not light, neither does the link light on my switch.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Strange Boot Combinations

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:31 pm

I would suggwst either
a) PSU and/or hub problem, or
b) genuine hardware fault of the pi

What PSU and/or hub rating do you have?

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

user7743

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi,

I suspected it is not normal behaviour. The PSU that I am using is an original HTC charger rated at 5V, 1A. I suspect the power supply is okay as I have tried it will three different supplies so far (2 x HTC, 1 x Samsung rated at 1.2A), each attaining exactly the same behaviour.

Can someone tell me, if I power the Pi up with no SD card in it, should the network lights come on or would they remain off?

I shall contact Farnell but I suspect I am not going to get very far trying to get it exchanged :-/

itimpi

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:55 pm

If you have no SD card (or one not working correctly with the Pi) then you will see no signs of life other than the Power LED coming on

user7743

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:37 am

I suspected that nothing would happen without an SD card in the device other than the red power light. I have ordered a couple more SD cards just to rule those out. I am also sometimes seeing when the device doesn't boot, a very faint green light on the OK led.

Return to “Troubleshooting”