Zeldatwili

Resolution stuck at 592x448 while using vnc

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:13 am

Hi, so I'm using vnc to control my Pi, and for some reason, no matter if it's my iPad or my laptop I'm using to control it, the resolution is always stuck at 592x448. This causes lots of problems as I cannot see most of most programs. I can't even use the address bar on the browser! So I went to screen settings but there were no other resolution settings except for that one, and auto changes nothing. So how can I get it to change?
Using x11vnc and noobs, both latest
Hi, I'm a noob, and very VERY new to all of this stuff, so please try to not lose patience and help as much as you can. Thanks! :D

Yea I know I got a little crazy with the text stuff

AndyD

Re: Resolution stuck at 592x448 while using vnc

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:29 am

The issue is that you are using x11vnc. The X11 server on you Raspberry Pi uses the framebuffer to run X11. The dimensions of the framebuffer are set by your screen resolution and your overscan settings. I would guess that you are using a NTSC display/television connected to the analog video output. The x11vnc server displays the same X11 server (Desktop) as is displayed on your Raspberry Pi. It is not possible to use x11vnc and have different screen dimension for the vnc clients.

However, if you don't have a display connected to your Raspberry Pi you could set the dimensions to something more to you liking. The question would then be why do you want to run x11vnc at all.

il_diavolo

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:45 pm

Something I don't understand. I can change the VNC screen size/resolution by simply using "-geometry" when starting the tightvnc server on the pi. Why would this not work for the op?

AndyD

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:08 pm

il_diavolo wrote:Something I don't understand. I can change the VNC screen size/resolution by simply using "-geometry" when starting the tightvnc server on the pi. Why would this not work for the op?
Because the OP is not using tightvnc, but rather x11vnc. When you run tightvnc you get a new desktop that is not display on the Raspberry Pi screen. When you use x11vnc it attaches itself to an existing X11 Display. So when you run tightvnc you can specify the geometry that you want. However, when you run x11vnc the geometry is set by the existing X11 server.

Zeldatwili

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:50 pm

i did have the pi connected to my tv, but only to set up the vnc server so it would boot once the pi starts, which was done as part of its install. now that thats done, i dont have it connected anymore, because its much easier just to use vnc. so you said if i dont have a display connected i could change the display settings myself, how could i do that?
Hi, I'm a noob, and very VERY new to all of this stuff, so please try to not lose patience and help as much as you can. Thanks! :D

il_diavolo

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Thanks AndyD, for the explanation on the difference between x11vnc and tightvnc. Another question if I may? As the x11 server is tied to the "true" screen does that mean that the PiCamera preview screen will display on the vnc screen on my Windows laptop.
Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but there's so much to learn, so much fun!

AndyD

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:11 pm

Zeldatwili wrote:i did have the pi connected to my tv, but only to set up the vnc server so it would boot once the pi starts, which was done as part of its install. now that thats done, i dont have it connected anymore, because its much easier just to use vnc. so you said if i dont have a display connected i could change the display settings myself, how could i do that?
I would suggest that you think about changing to tightvnc rather than continuing x11vnc. That way you could have a display with any dimensions that you want.

However, if you want to keep going with x11vnc you can set a specific screen resolution in /boot/config.txt. There is a list of modes here and in the Raspberry Pi documentation here.

For example, if you add the lines

Code: Select all

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=16
To /boot/config.txt your Raspberry Pi will act as if there was an attached display with pixel dimensions 1024x768 60 Hz

Edit: you will also need the following in /boot/config.txt to make the Raspberry Pi ignore that there is no HDMI cable.

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
Be aware: if you set a specific mode in /boot/config.txt your Raspberry Pi will no longer display on you TV correctly until you remove those lines from /boot/config.txt and reboot.
Last edited by AndyD on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

AndyD

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:16 pm

il_diavolo wrote:...Another question if I may? As the x11 server is tied to the "true" screen does that mean that the PiCamera preview screen will display on the vnc screen on my Windows laptop...
Unfortunately not. The image displayed on your display from the Raspberry Pi is a composite of a number of layers. One of these layers is the framebuffer that X11 uses. The other layers are things like hardware video, OpenGL ES and the output from the official camera. If you use x11vnc your vnc client will only see things that are drawn on the X11 display (the framebuffer). You will not see things that are displayed on the other layers.

Zeldatwili

Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:50 am

Well ok I WOULD change the config file, but every time I open it it gives me an input/output error. I looked this up and they told me it was probably a hardware issue, and to run some command that tells what happened with previous commands. So I ran that command, and there were a ton of error messages, and one message on top of them that said something about something not being unmounted correctly, and to run fsck. I ran that command but it said I couldn't because the fs was still mounted. So I brought the sd card over to my windows machine and ran chkdsk on it, but it found no problems. So now I'm stuck, what can I do? I really hope I don't have to reflash my sd card....

AndyD

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:08 am

Zeldatwili wrote:...So now I'm stuck, what can I do? I really hope I don't have to reflash my sd card....
No you aren't stuck there is plenty you can do. Firstly are you using NOOBS or are you using Raspbian (directly installed) or are you using something else?

If you are using Raspbian (directly installed ... i.e. not using NOOBS at all). You can edit config.txt on your Windows machine. The config.txt file should be visible when you put your SD card in the card reader attached to your Windows machine. Then use wordpad to edit the file (don't use notepad it won't like the file).

or

You could stop using x11vnc and start using tightvnc.

or

You could keep trying to work out why you can't edit config.txt on your Raspberry Pi. All my Raspberry Pis (three at the moment) complain about the vfat partition not being unmounted correctly and none of them have a real issue. The question would also be how are you trying to edit config.txt. The easiest way is to open an LXTerminal and use the command:-

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Zeldatwili

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:51 am

When I said I was stuck, I meant I didn't know what else to do. Also my very first post said I was using noobs. I don't want to use tightvnc because I can't get it to run on boot. Lots of other people had the same problem, and their answer was to use x11. I had already tried that command and when it opens it says read 0 lines (Warning: no write permission) even though I'm using sudo. When I exit it says /boot/config.txt: input/output error. So I guess my two options are to get tightvnc to boot on startup, or to figure out why this isn't working, both of which I'll need your help. If you don't have anymore suggestions on how to fix the config file then I'll just create a new thread for the tightvnc.
Here is some bits of the output after running dmesg after sudo nano ect.

[   90.605758] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p5): Filesystem has been set read-only

[  335.005131] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p5): error, fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 30758)

AndyD

Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:09 am

Yes, I missed that your first post said that you were using NOOBS. That is fine if you don't want to use tightvnc. If you change your mind there is information in the Raspberry Pi Documentation about running tightvnc at boot.

I don't use NOOBS and I find the instruction (on this forum) to edit config.txt confusing. If you use the NOOBS system install manager (as shown here) you can select an installed OS and edit the config for the OS by selecting the OS in the menu and pressing on the Edit config button. Apparently, the NOOBS system install manager doesn't show up once you have installed your OS and you need to hold down (or repeatedly press) the Shift button on a keyboard attached to your Raspberry Pi to get back into the NOOBS system install manager. It is unclear to me if the /boot partition is deliberately made read-only when using Raspbian and NOOBS (You are using Raspbian right, not openelec or something else) or if there really is an issue with your /boot partition.

Zeldatwili

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:42 am

Using the method you suggested, the config.txt is empty. However, in the next tab (cmdline.txt) there is some stuff in there, so maybe it's only config.txt that messed up and not the whole /boot. In this case, do you think I could delete config.txt, create a new config.txt, and paste the origional text in it and edit it that way? If so where could I find the origional contents? I could make a new thread and ask if anyone could get me them but if you know of a source that has it that would be better.
And yes, I am using raspbian.

AndyD

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:09 am

I think it would be a good idea to create a new thread detailing your problems with editing config.txt. AndrewS is the author of NOOBS and should be able to give you a definitive answer on how to proceed.

Return to “Troubleshooting”