choffmann1983

Re: Raspberry Pi Won't Boot, Red Power Light Only

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:40 pm

I had the same problem... but it was my mistake.

Point 8 in the guide is really important:

"In the terminal write the image to the card with this command, making sure you replace the input file if= argument with the path to your .img file, and the "/dev/sdd" in the output file of= argument with the right device name (this is very important: you will lose all data on the hard drive on your computer if you get the wrong device name). Make sure the device name is the name of the whole SD card as described above, not just a partition of it (for example, sdd, not sdds1 or sddp1, or mmcblk0 not mmcblk0p1)"

make sure to not use mmcblk0p1!! the whole sdcard has to be used!

So, by replacing mmcblk0p1 with mmcblk0 solved my problem... :)

EDIT: Oh, I just saw ubergeek72 already mentioned the solution... sorry

asphyx

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:55 am

Joining "me too" crowd.

Was using SD card that came with it from Farnell. Using [email protected] PSU. Plugged it in, connected via ssh, updated everything, installed LAMP and Git. There were constant problems with hostnames in Apache and adding ServerName localhost didn't help so I decided to reboot it. First it showed up on my router with an IP address out of nowhere (DHCP is off on my router, I'm using it as a switch), tried to ping it - completely disappeared and never came back. Red LED light up, no other reaction whatsoever. Tried reimaging the SD card with wheezy (Win32DiskImager), did not help. When I remove the SD card and Ethernet cable the green light does not come up.

Finally, I removed everything and just looked closely at the board and picked a smell of fried board coming from the Ethernet port. All in all had my RPi working for less than 2 hours, never got to use USB nor HDMI.

Does this fall under "faulty" and can I get it replaced?

asphyx

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Update, tried using the other bootcode.bin, did not help. Voltage on test points is 4.93V

asphyx

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Left it off for a day, now it works again, including the network. Weird stuff.

Jim JKla

Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:09 pm

If you have a RPi with polyfuses they could have reset over time.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

aljo

Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:09 am

"Me too!" Red light, faint green light, no video. Power Samsung phone charger 5v / 0.7A
I read all the form post and them thought I'd check the SD Card. Verbatim 8GB MICRO SD Class ?.

Took the card out, wiggled it, pushed the micro into the regular SD adapter, put the card back in, Gave it a good shove, and power it up. BINGO! I'm in! Green lights blinking in a fashion similar to a PC's HD indicator.

First boot up to TV via HDMI. Thanks to all the posters for the info. It was definitely the SD card contact issue for me, either at the adapter or on the Pi itself. Now let me see if I can bring up the startx GUI.... Yes! This rig isn't fast, but it will be fun!!!

Jim JKla

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:04 pm

Fun is not compulsory but it was included in the original specifications. :D
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

gnusci

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:44 pm

I did the installation in Ubuntu. The manual installation of the Raspbian image to the SD Card failed to boot regardless the brand, I got the red and small green lights. Then I did a try to the ImageWriter utility

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#SD_cards

and it worked out smoothly with the 4GB SD card I have. BTW: I tried everything you mentioned above and I was about to buy a new SD card.

dmitry_ch

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:58 pm

"Me too!"
Had a similar problem (red light, no green light, black screen).
used:
1 Power Samsung phone charger 5v / 0.7A;
2. SD Card. Transcend 8GB MicroSD Class 10 (in the compatibility list).+ adapter
3. Distributive "2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian"
4. Image writing "in32diskimager" (OS Windows XP)

The solution: to use writing the image to another card reader. As it turned out, not all card readers are used correctly for class 10

zudohackz

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:17 pm

Just reimaged my SD, and now the display lights up but nothing comes up.
Astro Pi competitor, Python / Java / HTML / CSS / JS / PHP developer.

b53cdcc8

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:21 am

1) [email protected]
2) Used dd for raspbian on Debian wheezy/sid.
3) It's the 4GB class 4 SD that element14 ships. I re-imaged it after downloading and verifying the checksum.
4) Power and SD card, but I first had the issue with a 1TB external HDD (w/ it's own power source) plugged in, and ethernet.
5) Nope, I didn't need to (see below)

I first had this issue, tried unplugging, and replugging the power back in a few times, and still had the solid PWR light (with some weak flickering of the ACT LED). I unplugged everything, and tried again with only the power and SD card. No luck.

I put the SD card in the freezer for a minute or two (I don't know why, I was tipsy), put it back in the Pi, powered it on and still a solid red light. Plugged the ethernet in and the lights came on.

Sorry I can't be more specific, it's Friday night, I've had a few, and I can't get the Pi to do it again.

Potentially important note: My power setup is in a building with outdated electrical wiring in the USA (meaning, my outlet has no ground prong). From the outlet, there's a 2->3 prong converter connected to a surge protecting power strip, which a generic white power strip connects to, which the AC adaptor connects to, which the Pi connects to. No, it's not safe, but the Pi was working fine with it before. Also, before it had the issue, it was powered down with 'sudo poweroff'.

b53cdcc8

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Just a follow-up post to the one I posted last night. I booted up the Pi a few times this morning with the same SD card (and same image). No problems.

antonholmstedt

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Seems like I've tried everything now to get my sd card to work, but I'm stuck with the red led-problem as well. Tried the sd card from my camera and with that one it's working like a charm but with the sd I bought to use with RPi doesnt.

A couple of nights ago xbmc suddenly hang, and couldnt do anything else than unplug. Since then, the sd isnt working to boot from, but shows no problem at all when I plug it in to my computer.

Must be some sort of partition problem, right?

alorimer

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:04 am

Today, a friend with a Raspberry Pi came round to say he was having problems with his Pi.

My friend's Pi had nothing but the solid red PWR light, and the dim green OK light. It has not been working ever before. We tried heaps of things (e.g. re-formatting/imaged SD card, different peripherals and chargers). I looked through all the supposed solutions on this forum, to no avail.

I also concluded that there was a minor change to the board released sometime, not big enough to be called a new model. My friend's board is the older model, not model A, just a modification.

My friend is getting the same problem as everyone else here. I've also tried all the supposed solutions on this thread, to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :?:

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:25 am

alorimer wrote:Today, a friend with a Raspberry Pi came round to say he was having problems with his Pi.

My friend's Pi had nothing but the solid red PWR light, and the dim green OK light. It has not been working ever before. We tried heaps of things (e.g. re-formatting/imaged SD card, different peripherals and chargers). I looked through all the supposed solutions on this forum, to no avail.

I also concluded that there was a minor change to the board released sometime, not big enough to be called a new model. My friend's board is the older model, not model A, just a modification.

My friend is getting the same problem as everyone else here. I've also tried all the supposed solutions on this thread, to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :?:
It's either an incompatible SD card, or the sd card holder makes a bad contact.

blegay

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:08 pm

Had the same problem. Tried many cards. Etc..
I format my SD Cards in command line on OS X.
I found the problem. I misread the tutorial documentation :oops: re the "dd" command and its "of" param. I was using "/dev/disk2s1" where I should have used "/dev/disk2".

$ sudo diskutil unmount /dev/disk2s1

$ sudo dd bs=1m if=2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.img of=/dev/disk2

alorimer

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:14 pm

blegay wrote:Had the same problem. Tried many cards. Etc..
I format my SD Cards in command line on OS X.
I found the problem. I misread the tutorial documentation :oops: re the "dd" command and its "of" param. I was using "/dev/disk2s1" where I should have used "/dev/disk2".

$ sudo diskutil unmount /dev/disk2s1

$ sudo dd bs=1m if=2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.img of=/dev/disk2
No, it can't be this because we tried formatting several SD cards in several ways (Win32DiskImager etc).

Jim JKla

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:57 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote: It's either an incompatible SD card, or the sd card holder makes a bad contact.
There could be another reason (unlikeley) I think we have to keep the door open for something else.

Trying another fresh card from the verified list should elimiate that and an inspection of the contacts would eliminate that meaning it would have to be something else. ;) Possibly a bad solder (dry) joint on the SD card connectors wher they solder to the board.

This would qualify for a return.

droscar

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:36 pm

This is an old thread but couldn't find where to put this: Recently got a B at Xmas - an RS package along with the regular white case. When assembled with case top OFF all was fine. Put top on - RED light only. All RS instructions and videos were read and followed. Noticed that the regular RS supply micro-B usb power inlet was binding a little on the case top and not clicking in properly. Careful use of swiss file sorted this - but still red light only when the case top was put back. . In the end I summized that the securing lugs on the case bottom to top were very tight and maybe bending the pi board. Carefully filed the securing internal 1cm or so long lugs of the top so it came together easily (maybe too loose as a purist. BINGO all worked properly. Maybe excessive board flexing was moving a joint. I shall be contacting RS. In meantime if anyone knows where to put this post (now...now...) let me know

Jim JKla

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:58 am

I'd suggest starting a new thread the content is excellent I'd suggest "Cautious hardware adjustment" and kep it to troubleshooting a couple of pictures of the adjustments you have made would also be good. ;)

We like pictures especialy with highlighted bits :D

Naebad

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:27 am

Guys, just one point from a complete noob - i too was getting the red led, faint green led, but i didn't realise how far in the sd card goes! Once firmly pushed in, booted first time :roll: :roll:

droscar

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Jim JKla wrote:I'd suggest starting a new thread the content is excellent I'd suggest "Cautious hardware adjustment" and kep it to troubleshooting a couple of pictures of the adjustments you have made would also be good. ;)

We like pictures especialy with highlighted bits :D
This post gives more fix details of the red-light Pi / B problem which was solved when the fitting of the regular white RS Pi case was 'eased'. The over- tightness of the top, on careful correct assembly, appeared to stress the board when clipping in the top – maybe disturbing the SD connector with the delicate bare wiring beneath it . My Pi S/Number is E4512RS2V13B1.0 My Pi when mounted in the bottom half of the white case booted fine - but not with the top on! After the modification all ok.

I needed to enlarge the micro-B usb power connector slot. The supplied RS micro-usb_B did not click in positively and was a loose fit as it was binding on the case I found it easiest to form a cut-out slot - locks in correctly now.

The pictures below shows the case mods made. Maybe I should have returned the Pi and its case to RS but its working now and heaps of fun after the wait for a B.
Attachments
pipic200.jpg
pipic200.jpg (11.36 KiB) Viewed 4915 times

cat4ever

Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:30 pm

I had the same issue and resolved it by plugging directly into power socket instead of using power strip. Seems the pi is finicky about it's power source.

borosa

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 am

After receiving my 2 PI's yesterday (one for me and one for my 12yo nephew with a gift for programming), I was up all night having a ball with Raspbmc, all working spectacularly well...

Fast forward to tonight, I wanted to showcase this little puppy to my other half when low and behold, red LED, faint green LED and no picture. WTF!!

PSU - 2.1a iPad charger
SD - SanDisk 2GB (I have 4 of these to play with)
Distro - Raspbmc and Wheezy

Issue only affecting my unit, the other is working fine (so the missus had her showcase). Both units are cased so that rules out ESD or mechanical damage right off the bat!

Sat down tonight to troubleshoot this and it appears that the root cause of this issue is with the SD slot. Putting pressure on the card in the slot, she boots up (you know right away as the green LED light with the red on power up). Pressure off the slot = fault. I can do this with all 4 cards. Taking pressure off slot while unit is booting up will freeze the unit and the green LED will pulse endlessly (same behaviour if you remove the SD card while in operation).

I will have a stab at re-soldering the SD card contacts as they are all well exposed and relatively easy to get to without voiding any warranty. If this fixes the issue, you'll know it on here. :) I don't believe that anybody had attempted this as a fix in the past.

Hoping to put this issue to bed once and for all! Wish me luck...

borosa

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Ok, the resolder had neither a negative nor a positive result. She's showing the exact same behaviour (pressure on, boots and works fine - pressure off, no boot).

As a last ditch effort, I sprayed the contacts with some electrical contact cleaner (Isoprop alcohol and a Q-tip or cotton bud for us Aussies should do same) and what do you know, I have a fully working device again! :p No matter how many cards I throw at it now, I can't make it fail anymore, whereas it was completely non-functioning before this. Working still even back in it's case.

Unsure why this happened. Possibly some greasy fingers had touched the SD contacts during manufacture is all I can put it down to. It wasn't dry joints, it wasn't a faulty or finicky SD card, nor power supply issue. It was poor electrical contact with the SD card.

Please give this simple fix a try and let me know if you have joy too. :D

Return to “Troubleshooting”