msemtd

Re: Raspberry Pi Won't Boot, Red Power Light Only

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 am

My Pi has come back to life after reformatting the SD card. I need to get a few "known good" SD cards together for better diagnoses since they seem to get trashed quite easily when things got wrong!

Now, back to the question about the OK led supposedly flashing for twenty seconds upon power up if there is no SD card inserted: is that the case or is it just a forum rumour?

Edit: it's there on the wiki at http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... on_display

My current summary (and advice to others) is: expect to have to try a few different SD cards and power supplies.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:45 am

msemtd wrote: Now, back to the question about the OK led supposedly flashing for twenty seconds upon power up if there is no SD card inserted: is that the case or is it just a forum rumour?
No. That would be impossible with the architecture of bootloader.
msemtd wrote: Edit: it's there on the wiki at http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... on_display
That says with no cables connected. It doesn't mention no sdcard.

itimpi

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:57 am

msemtd wrote:Now, back to the question about the OK led supposedly flashing for twenty seconds upon power up if there is no SD card inserted: is that the case or is it just a forum rumour?
I checked with my (working) Pi, and I get no signs of life other than the Red Power LED when there is no SD card pluggegd in.

msemtd

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:14 am

dom wrote:No. That would be impossible with the architecture of bootloader.
I have a lot to learn about operation of the Pi from power up!

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... on_display
dom wrote:That says with no cables connected. It doesn't mention no sdcard.
True! Perhaps the wiki requires some clarification words.
itimpi wrote:I checked with my (working) Pi, and I get no signs of life other than the Red Power LED when there is no SD card pluggegd in.
Excellent - just an SD card issue then (as long as my PSU is actually OK :D )

I see that there are a lot of people (like myself) just receiving their Pi and hitting these SD card show-stoppers whereas others get lucky (or have a few cards to try out). I wonder what else can be done to help during these early days: perhaps providing more links to localised sources of known good SD cards (which I will do when my new SD card arrives in the post (if it works!))

ceteras

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:24 pm

My Pi has arrived just today, I've had the same problem from the start, now it's solved.

Red power led ON, green "OK" led just slightly lit, not blinking.
So the solution is, if you have this issue, to look for an SD card from the working cards list here .
After I've swapped the sd card with another (a no-name, I'm just a little lucky), it works.

When you plug a working SD card in and power it up, the OK green led will blink randomly as it will indicate the accesses to SD, just like the HDD light on computer cases.

contractorwolf

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:47 pm

I can try another card (but my card DID work before). I will try that this weekend and let you guys know how it goes. Is there a list of "confirmed" working cards? I havent seen that list. And just because you card may work right now doesnt necessarily mean its "confirmed", because mine worked for a week and now the RPi doesnt.

It would be nice if we could have a list that we knew we could get at Best Buy or Radio Shack (if in the US) that way people could just walk in and buy them same day so we wouldnt have to wait on shipping. I dont know what the UK or international analog for those stores are, somebody international want to enlighten me on large chain stores in your country that have a good selection of SD cards?

contractorwolf

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:51 pm

just for clarity, here is the link to "approved" SD cards:
http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#SD_cards

contractorwolf

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:14 pm

sorry, another update, I AM using a card from the approved list, but this is what it says on the list:
8GB SDHC Class 4 (SD4/8GB) (does not work with current build of raspbmc)

I am not using raspbmc, I am using the Debian “squeeze” (the simple one since I am a linux n00b).

jhasler

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:35 pm

abishur writes:
> For each person joining this thread saying "Me too" Please provide more
> information :-P

Ok. I get a red light and a very faint green one. Nothing else. 3.3V is present.

> 1) What is the rating of your PSU (i.e. 5v @ ??? mA)

I have tried a RIM supply rated at 750ma (measured 4.85V) plugged into the
power connector and a 5.00V bench supply rated at 5A connected directly to the
header.

> 2) How did you install the image on your SD card

With dd. Fdisk shows the correct partition table and I can read the files on the boot partition when I mount it.

> 3) Have you checked the wiki to see if your SD card is on the bad list? (Be sure
> to check it twice)

My SD cards (SanDisk 8GB 1109405855DF6) are on neither list. I've ordered some that are on the "good" list (this $35 computer is getting expensive).

> 4) What all do you have connected to it?

Nothing but the power supply and the SD card.

> 5) Have you tried unplugging everything and leaving it be for several hours or
> overnight?

Yes.

jhasler

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:45 pm

I suspect that the green LED appears to be dim because it is flashing extremely rapidly as the GPU loops trying (unsuccessfully) to access the SD card.

abishur

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:59 pm

One last question for those who responded and everything *seems* to be good :D :

Have you tried reformatting and re-imaging the SD card?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

jhasler

Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:40 pm

abishur writes:
> Have you tried reformatting and re-imaging the SD card?

Many times, both cards.

mpettitt

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:57 pm

I've tried reformatting known good cards, I've tried using cards that have previously worked fine, and nothing is making a difference.

The Pi seems ridiculously sensitive to SD card variations if that's the only cause - at this rate, I'll be thinking it's the temperature outside that affects whether a particular card works!

jhasler

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Tried adding 560pfd across the SD socket power pins. No change. Changed to .33mfd. Still no change. Added .33 mfd across power pins at header (5V). Still no change. Looks like it's not a power supply bypassing problem.

just_perry

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:35 am

Got My RPi today, from Singapore, f**k, had to pay 20 U$ inport tax with UPS, UPS suks.

I got the same problem here, quite annoyed it showed only a red light.

But, I think I know My problem, I have a micro Sd in an adapter, My Powerbook G4 reads a standard SD (in Card reader) with no problem but when I use a micro SD adapter it won't show up.
The problem here is that I think this adapter has the gold pins too deep into the adapter so it won't touch the pins in the reader.
I put the 16GB card in My Blackberry and I could write data to it using DD, took about 40 minutes though.
So, if you have such an adapter that might be the problem.
I will buy a standard SD tomorrow and hope it works, otherwise I am F$^&%$, sending it back to Singapore and receiving it back I have to again pay tax, but I am in Singapore in two months.

stuartbruce

Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:04 pm

I had a similar-looking problem just now, on a previously-working Pi, when I switched from powering the device through a standalone plug-to-USB device to using a supposedly powered USB hub which I bought cheap on eBay (well, you live and learn).

It ended up stuck in a look, whereby it would start to boot, reach a point where it quickly said "waiting for boot device", than immediately jump back to the start of bootup, and try again. It would do so indefinitely. The red power light stayed on (but flickery) and the green OK light would blink occasionally.

Switching it back to being powered from a plug seems to have resolved it.

Not before I had already tried wiping my SD card and reinstalling the OS, despite having already done some work on it... (well, you live and learn- again...)

just_perry

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:56 am

Update
I bought a new card reader and 2 SD and 1 SDHC card(s) and they all work, so the red power light meant nothing at all, so anybody having this problem, chill out, it's probably a non working card or an micro SD adapter which does work( look at my former post).
So, luckily I don't have to send it back to Singapore.

Cards used, 1 SDHC Transend 4 GB(it's in the supported cards) and 2 2GB Sandisk cards.

Btw, is it possible on the first start to login without the need for a keyboard on archlinuxarm and raspbmc, I could ssh into the first one but can't install vnc, the commands don't work on a powerbook G4 like apt-get, command not valid???

deirdre_dub

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm just after fixing this problem (previously-working SD card, red light with dim green light) by cleaning the contacts on my SD card - both the ones on the card itself and the ones on the PI.

And by cleaning, all I did was to wipe some kitchen towel along the contacts.

SeeJay1977

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:38 pm

Ditto.. Tested everything exactly as above. Even used my multi-meter on two different identical power supplies. Two known good approved cards with working installs. Same stuff. red light and faint green light. Very disheartend.

SeeJay1977

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:44 pm

Cleaned mine with some contact cleaner. Examined it under a microscope. Spotless.. Guess what.. still doesn't work :-/ Think I will find a new toy. very sad to wait over a year and then use something for a week.

msemtd

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:24 pm

Mine has recovered with a new full-sized 8Gb Kingston SD Class 4 Card (running debian6-19-04-2012).

contractorwolf

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:10 pm

The thing is, the card I have is able to be read by my laptop without issue, so it cant be a "card cant be read" issue, unless there are some defects in the card holder on the RPi that are causing the issue.... still no joy on my end

martonisummit

Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Received my raspi yesterday!

sd was sold out so flashed my own

raspi seemed dead

it pays off to switch sd cards
reflash cards (several)
on several machines/readers
different os's and image writing software for writing

images corrupt easily (?) on the cards resulting in red light faint green scenarios

it is now up and running! ;)

must be frustrating if all you try does not pay off

ajstarks

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:18 am

I too had the persistent red light problem. Note that I was loading my images from Mac OS X and the SD card failed to load. After checking the (brand new) SD card on Windows, I discovered and removed the extra ".dot" files that Mac OS X leaves on the disk. After manually removing these with Windows,

IT WORKS!

boley

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:59 am

Maybe slightly off topic, but on point in a preventative maintenance kind of way.

Does anyone know if switching the write protect switch on an SD card actually blocks changes by hardware, or if the Pi must read the switch and then behave like a good citizen by not writing to it?

The reason I ask, is that I have decided to hold a known working SD card in reserve for troubleshooting problems like this, and I'd like to be sure that the PI can not modify it due to some random start up bug. (I have verified that Debian Squeeze will run with the SD card "Locked".

Also, someone asked for a known good local source for "approved" SD cards. I stopped by Radio Shack with the approved list visible on my phone's browser and there were at least four on the shelf SanDisk cards on the list. I bought several of the 8G because they were on sale at the same price as the 4G. The compatible ones I'm sure of are marked Type 4, and there may be more. I kind of lost interest in the higher priced cards after I saw the ones on sale.

Return to “Troubleshooting”