kevinjwelsh

Re: Raspberry Pi Won't Boot, Red Power Light Only

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:47 pm

I had this problem last night (Red Light on - Green on faintly). After reading this thread I looked at my SD card and saw that for some reason it was slightly bowed in the middle of the contact points. Bent it back (gently) and it now works again.

Just posting the let you know what worked for me.

Cryptoman

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:25 pm

I had exactly the same solid red LED staring me in the face all day even though I tried a number of full formats and NOOBS image flashing to the same bloody SD Card.

I have been using the same SD Card successfully for a while when one day I had to unplug the power without a proper shutdown because the OS got stuck for some reason. I thought reflashing the image would resolve the problem. I never suspected that the SD Card may have developed a fault at some stage.

Towards the late hours of the day (or rather the early hours of the next day!) I decided to try a new SD Card. Believe it or not, it worked at my first attempt!

If anybody can share a logical explanation to what I have experienced with the first SD Card, I would be grateful.

Many thanks...

Jim JKla

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:39 am

SD Memory is not as stable as you would suspect it has some inherent flakieness so you just have to expect that at some point it's going to fail. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Cryptoman

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:22 am

Jim JKla wrote:SD Memory is not as stable as you would suspect it has some inherent flakieness so you just have to expect that at some point it's going to fail. ;)
Fair enough, I understand that. However, I cannot understand how one would be able to format and copy an image to an SD Card that has "failed" but still be unable to boot a Raspberry Pi with the same SD Card.

What kind of a SD card issue could cause such a selective failure? That is the part I cannot understand.

(I will update the Wiki page if I come up with an answer for the benefit of everyone)

Jim JKla

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:28 am

It depends on where within the memory failure occurs. The image may be fine for the boot part and corupted in say the GUI untill you try to open the GUI your SD may be ok.

I cant remember if this is one of the threads where I posted the Xobs & Bunnie Youtube link it won't harm to post it again

http://media.ccc.de/browse/congress/201 ... _xobs.html

These guys do rabbit on a bit, understandable with the name Bunnie.

It may help you if I explain I come from a generation that had to live with workarounds for Hard Drives with bad sectors. :(
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

waky

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:53 am

For the matter of commonwealth, let me report my issues with the pi. I have 4 raspberry's on 3 physical locations with supported and working SD cards, external power supplied, flashed with raspbian and running heavy video processing. Watchdog is enabled so when anything goes wrong (app hangs or unexpected errors occur) it will reboot.

Very frequently, every few days I find one of my Pi's hanging, only the red led burning bright. Disabling and re-enabling power solves the problem and the Pi starts running again. VERY ANNOYING :evil:

Had the exact same issue as above with one raspberry and SD card. From one day to another it stopped booting. Power toggling didn't solve the issue this time. Reflashing the SD card didn't solve the issue either. Another SD card booted fine. So apparently a broken SD :|

I also greatly regret the fact that the PI isn't compatible with any SD card. That is so rediculous. They should definintly focus on these SD issues when developing the Pi 2.0 imo. They make this wonderful product completely useless in the field.

Cryptoman

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:18 am

@waky

I am glad to hear that others are experiencing similar issues. It appears to be a Raspberry related problem. Hopefully that will be resolved at some point. It really is a great platform and I would hate the interest to die out.

By the way, I tried Toshiba's 8GB SD Card yesterday (Class 10 card) and it works like a charm. I wanted to share this in case others are interested too.

Jim JKla

Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:31 pm

Yes Waky work with any SD card! are you suggesting this includes the fakes?

If you have not bothered have a look at the Xobs & Bunnie video I linked in my previous post you may understand why not all SD cards are created equal ;)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Jim JKla wrote: If you have not bothered have a look at the Xobs & Bunnie video I linked in my previous post you may understand why not all SD cards are created equal ;)
yeah. just watch the first 5 minutes of it and you will never wonder again why sf-cards (and usb-sticks) can fail if you push them just a bit harder than using it in a camera. These are not like hard-disks :shock:
buy sd-cards from reputable firms (and not fakes) that have reliable controllers inside with good algorithms for dispersing the use of memory cells evenly, and that will make a lot of difference. Flash sells sometimes are only a little better than random number generators! :roll:

arnoldstrife

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:28 am

Just to add another 2 cents, my issue was like everyone else the SD card wasn't talking to the Pi. I pushed it down with a bit of pressure and like magic the green light goes on and it boots like normal. I had my pi in a case so I put a small washer between the case the SD card and it add just enough pressure to make it work again. I actually think my case originally push it slightly away from the pi.

Jim JKla

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:55 am

Which case were you using?

It may be a design issue that could be addressed. ;)

TechNoob

Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:58 pm

I had a similar problem: the Pi stopped recognizing my SD card. The POWER light (RED) was on but none of the other lights. I have a raspberry Pi case but it had nothing to do with the case. The Raspberry PI itself did not hold the SD card properly so I made a small lumb of glue and put this between the SD card and the case. This resolved my problem.

If you are not sure wether this is the problem, apply some pressure to the SD card (on the flat side of the card) and press it against the Raspberry Pi, then insert the power cable and see if any other lights are on / flashing as well.

Good luck!

KAB

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:59 pm

kevinjwelsh wrote:I had this problem last night (Red Light on - Green on faintly). After reading this thread I looked at my SD card and saw that for some reason it was slightly bowed in the middle of the contact points. Bent it back (gently) and it now works again.

Just posting the let you know what worked for me.
Thanks kevinjwelsh, this was exactly my issue on 2 Rpi`s.
Looks like the sdcard got heated up and then it bends.

My sdcard is Trancend SD/HC 10 16Gb, so there may be several others out there.

Dr. Theamat

Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:53 pm

Solved it!

My problem was with the SD card adapter and Rasp pins. I carefully used a precision screw driver to take every pin out and pop it in again. After that, works fine!

Thank you for your help! It looks like the RaspPi NOOBs card adapter also bends a little with heat and that doesn't help neither.

I recommend a strong SD card/adapter and taking in out and back in all the card slot pins.

ianis

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:23 pm

Same problem, red light-no boot

I took the card and inserted it into my laptop (Windoes 8.1). I was informed it needs to be scanned for errors. After scanning, I started the Pi and got the green light :D .

drgeoff

Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:28 pm

ianis wrote:Same problem, red light-no boot

I took the card and inserted it into my laptop (Windoes 8.1). I was informed it needs to be scanned for errors. After scanning, I started the Pi and got the green light :D .
Windows does not understand Linux file systems and may offer to "fix" a card containing one. That offer should never be accepted.

DougieLawson

Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:35 pm

drgeoff wrote: Windows does not understand Linux file systems and may offer to "fix" a card containing one. That offer should never be accepted.
Eh? Windows understands the primary FAT partition and can unset the dirty bit. fsck on Raspbian Wheezy is borked and can't do that. fsck in Jessie is fixed.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

mabs

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Just wanted to add my experience with a non booting Raspberry Pi here, I bought an A model a while back and one day when I went to do a demo it failed, and I just blamed the fact that the unprotected board was bouncing around in my backpack with a few other heavy things (5v usb battery, cables, pens, tablet in case, spare phone). I decided to have a go at fixing it today, checking voltages, etc... and found when I pressed down on the SD card it would boot. A little more playing around later, and it works! revived!

The solution was to, slowly, and carefully bend the pins for the SD card contact back up, these must have been bent out of shape in my backpack. I used a pointy pair of tweezers and got under each pin and put just enough pressure to move the pin up, visually it didn't seem to make much difference, but, after about 5 rounds of tediously bending the pins back upward I got it to boot! I'll give another few rounds to make sure they are out enough to work for a while, as I want this for a long term, low powered project.

Cairo555

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:52 am

I'v had the same issue, got it solved!

I had been using my PI for about one to two years, without any issues.
Now I installed another OS on my SD card.

After I had done that, the PI would not boot. just one red led.

What I did to solve it.
My micro SD card was in a SD Card adapter, I had been using that adapter for all that time, without any issues.
Also booting without an SD card, kept giving me a red light.

I downloaded the raspberry pi github zip file, that somebody else already refererd to, copied the files to the sd card, still using the "old" adapter. then I tried to boot the PI.. it would still fail.

What i then did, is change the SD Card adapter for my micro sd card. and voila.. it worked!! :)

lucascarci

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:19 pm

Im actually having a similar problem, except my Pi 2 also shows the Green light, solid instead of flashing. I assume its the card but i have replaced it and re-imaged it and nothing works. It was working the day before but now its not. any Suggestions? (My card is a San Disk 16GB.)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:53 pm

it seems necessary to re-post this once every few dozen posts in this thread as people still miss that there is a sticky that explains everything there you should know about boot problems, don't post here before you have read it!

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151

DirkS

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:58 pm

mahjongg wrote:it seems necessary to re-post this once every few dozen posts in this thread as people still miss that there is a sticky that explains everything there you should know about boot problems, don't post here before you have read it!

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151
And you had to post that twice for the same user: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=108177 ;)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:01 pm

sigh, yeah, people rather post a new question than look around for the answer.

Why would you bother to watch to see if the question you have was already answered (in a sticky) rather than just ask yet again....

it is simply laziness...
maybe I should stop my efforts, and watch how this forum fills up with hundreds of identical questions, nobody bothers to answer.

I created this thread, so that at least perhaps people wouldn't open a new subject, and perhaps to find new causes of boot problems to add to the sticky, but 95% of the times the posts are identical.

Therefore the thread is now locked!

Return to “Troubleshooting”