haslacher06

Re: Raspberry Pi Won't Boot, Red Power Light Only

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi Folks,

got the same problem with my Pi - received it today - first test and... only the red LED light - no boot!
I thought it was the SD card and tried another one (both new and fresh image of raspbian on it)
after the second card did the same, I discovered that my raspi has crashed both SD cards!!!!
All my PC's do not recognize these cards anymore ( one was a Transcend and one PNY).

now I send my raspi back to RS and hope that i get a new one!!

regards

Mike

drgeoff

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 pm

I've read many posts about 'non-booting' RPis but never one saying that it crashed SD cards and made them unrecognisable by PCs.

How did you load Raspian on to your cards? Did you check that after you had loaded Raspian, the cards were still recognised by Windows?

Have you tried using the official SD card formatter at https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/ ?

What power supply are you using with your RPi?

criticalfungus

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:41 pm

A long shot but just have a check, I noticed my RasPI had shaved the plastic from the top left corner (next to the gold contacts and the write protect tab) of my SD cards.

They work fine in my PI but on the PC it can't read them. Not sure why exactly but think its to do with the detection of the write protect notch on the card. As far as I'm aware write protection detection has not been implemented on the PI but is in place on your PC card reader.

I had to dismantle a USB SD Card reader and short the two pins responsible for this detection together (more luck than judgement I just aimed for the two pins closest to the damaged corner, if you try this be it on your head) on the SD card slot.
Using this reader my PC can work with the physically damaged cards ok.

Dale

drgeoff

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:03 am

criticalfungus wrote:A long shot but just have a check, I noticed my RasPI had shaved the plastic from the top left corner (next to the gold contacts and the write protect tab) of my SD cards.

They work fine in my PI but on the PC it can't read them. Not sure why exactly but think its to do with the detection of the write protect notch on the card. As far as I'm aware write protection detection has not been implemented on the PI but is in place on your PC card reader.

I had to dismantle a USB SD Card reader and short the two pins responsible for this detection together (more luck than judgement I just aimed for the two pins closest to the damaged corner, if you try this be it on your head) on the SD card slot.
Using this reader my PC can work with the physically damaged cards ok.

Dale
A card reader should be able to read cards irrespective of what it senses about the write protect switch.

criticalfungus

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:47 am

drgeoff wrote: A card reader should be able to read cards irrespective of what it senses about the write protect switch.
Agreed, but for some reason (to be honest I don't know what) there appears to be some form of sensing switch in that corner of the SD Card reader, which appears to be the write protect sensing switch. Of the readers I have access to 3 out of 4 cannot detect the card at all. I'm assuming the missing plastic is stopping that sensing switch being triggered. Bizarrely however by shorting together those pins on my butchered SD Card reader (not tried it with the others) it detects there is a card in place and allows me to use the damaged SD card.

It may not be the issue but when good cards can't be read by 3 different SD Card readers that work with SD Cards that are undamaged its got to be worth a check.

Dale

haslacher06

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:09 am

drgeoff wrote:I've read many posts about 'non-booting' RPis but never one saying that it crashed SD cards and made them unrecognisable by PCs.

How did you load Raspian on to your cards? Did you check that after you had loaded Raspian, the cards were still recognised by Windows?

Have you tried using the official SD card formatter at https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/ ?

What power supply are you using with your RPi?
I'm using Linux (with dd command) for installing my SD cards, and I have checked the cards after installing the images!
after my unsucsessful starts with my raspi I wanted to check my cards again and then they could not be identified by my linux and my windows machine (as if no card is in the reader). i have checked the cards for mechnical damage too, but found nothing.

my Power supply is a 5V 1A from Sony, but i have tried it with a 5v 3A and from a powered USB hub too - all with the same result

drgeoff

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:10 pm

haslacher06 wrote: I'm using Linux (with dd command) for installing my SD cards, and I have checked the cards after installing the images!
How did you check the cards after installing the images?

AdamPater

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:38 pm

Odd: I was about to post my "me too" when I wildly tried putting the RPi in the fridge - in plastic delivery box, with silica gel sachet, for what it's worth. Fifteen or twenty minutes later and the thing booted.

Then crashed again. It was up just long enough for me to ssh in and start to look around the logs - I run it headless from my desktop Linux box. I'm stopping for the night so will try letting it cool there overnight, for the hell of it.

Power isn't a problem: running a scavenged 5V, 2.5A power supply through a switching regulator and achieving 4.98 - 5.10V across TP1&2.

The failure to boot happened after some crashes that I thought were due to heat: crashes seemed to happen if the clear case top was on but not if left off. (We have been having a hot summer too - Perth, Western Australia.)

I don't think it's due to the F3 polyfuse because the voltage was fine, and putting power in through the GPIO pins (from a PiFace) instead of the usb port achieved nothing.

Four different SD cards, though all various Sandisk varieties, same result.

While I've been typing, it's now booted again (with the PiFace in place) and has so far stayed up to try updating software and firmware, with apt-get and rpi-update. I'm going to leave it on, with "top" running in the ssh window to see how long it might go for this time.

legendlutfi

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:39 pm

Reducing the Frequency of ARM in MHz can help. The default is 700MHz
Using windows or mac edit the config file on your sdcard.

Add
#This reduces the processor to 500 MHz instead of 700 MHz
arm_freq=500

This will reduce the power and probably the heat of the Raspberry Pi, if it does work then your Raspberry Pi has a heat problem.

I did this to my raspberry pi to solve a problem with the USB ports not getting power. It made my mouse and keyboard work. :mrgreen:

I don't know if under clocking is possible, but it works.

haslacher06

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:19 am

I found the problem: my cardreader on my linux machine was defective, it killed my cards with a "deadly unsafe release".
got a new one and loaded the image on a new sd ->raspi booted and works ok!!
im verry happy and cant await to "play" with my raspi on weekend

thanks for your help

mike

AdamPater

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:41 pm

I've convinced myself that my particular problem, once an adequate power supply was sorted out, is heat building up if the RPi with PiFace fitted is then covered with its (plastic, unvented) case.

The RPi powered through a micro-usb cable, without the PiFace fitted, happily ran for 20 hours, including 1.5 hours with the CPU at 100% - achieved by looping: "while date; do ldd /usr/lib/*; done".

Then put the plastic case in place but not clipped down and ran happily for 3.5 hours at 100% CPU.

Then installed the PiFace, rested the plastic cover in place - resting proud of the RPi board due to the RPi. Ran for 90 mins, 100% CPU, then crashed (ethernet dropped out, wouldn't reconnect, single red light on its lonesome).

Rebooted okay but I did intercept the crash within a few minutes. The crash that required the fridge-assisted-24hour-rest was followed by six hours unattended power on. Maybe that helped keep it warm? Dunno. Anyway, give it a decent power supply, let the heat convect away unimpeded and my RPi seems happy to work hard and constantly.

My data-point, FWIW.

Rad77

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Just wanted to add confirmation that SD cards are still a bit of an issue.

In my case I had a working 2 month old Pi (Model B rev2) which was booting into BerryBoot and the first thing I did when my new Pi arrived was to swap all the peripheral hardware over from the running Pi, but on powering it up for the first time I got just the red PWR and single blip of green ACT.

So without success I tried...
- Another PSU, first one a 2A powered hub, second a 1.2A Nokia (both working with Pi #1)
- Another identical SD card (Team 4GB C4)
- Underclocking to 500MHz

Then I dug out a Kingston 4GB C10 card and hey presto it booted. However, unwilling to be left with a picky Pi, I also tried applying the bootcode.bin fix from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... otcode.bin to my original non-working BerryBoot SD card. That was almost enough to get it going - it's now flashing ACT 3 times, so is stuck in the bootup (looking for loader.bin which is no longer present?). I'll persevere with this tomorrow if I get time.

borosa

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:23 pm

Hi Rad77,

Could you humor me and just give the gold fingers in the SD card slot a clean for me with a cotton bud and some methylated spirits. This did the trick for me permanently on 2 failing PI's and I just want to rule out coincidence. I'm betting that you'll even be able to go back and boot with the original card afterwards.

Thanks,
Anthony.

Rad77

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:11 pm

Finally had time to play with this again and discovered that it's not the type of SD card that's the issue, it's BerryBoot.

Both the old and the new Pi will boot bog standard Raspbian (2013-02-09 image) from either the Kingston or the Team SD cards, but the new Pi refuses to boot from either my original BerryBoot image (berryboot-20130213). or the newer release ( berryboot-20130225).

Nobody else seems to be having this issue with BB, so I'll carry on poking around with it tomorrow. If I can't find an obvious error on my part then I'll report it to the BB team.

PS.
borosa wrote: Could you humor me and just give the gold fingers in the SD card slot a clean for me with a cotton bud and some methylated spirits....
I'm not ignoring your reply, just not had time to try it (means getting into the pibow, never undertaken lightly!) - I'm pretty sure that's not the issue here but I'm willing to give it a go.

helfred

Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:41 am

Hi - I experience the exactly same problem on 2 rPi's also trying to boot BerryBoot - and nothing happens except for a red light and black screen.
I have tried several SD-card - also cards that boots Wheezy like a charm.......

Rad77

Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:30 pm

I think I have a solution to the BerryBoot problem (at least it works for me...). I updated the RasPi boot files on the BerryBoot installation.

The steps are:
1. Download BerryBoot and extract the files to a local folder somewhere
2. Grab the latest RaspberryPi boot files from https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... aster/boot
3. Copy the contents of that new boot folder into the BerryBoot folder, overwriting the existing files there.
4. Copy the contents of your updated BerryBoot folder to the SD card and proceed as normal for BerryBoot installation.

helfred: Could you give that a try?

helfred

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi Rad77 - that solved the problem for me - than'x
helfred

Rad77

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 pm

The Berryboot issue that I had was fixed in today's release (the change is "Pi: firmware fix for newer Pi with Hynix memory").

Vennotius

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:31 am

Had the same problem: Red LED only.

Used different cards with Raspian and RiscOS. Nothing. Thought it might be the power supply (700mA), got a 1A but still nothing (this was plugged into a strip which also had other devices connected to it). Later moved to another plug and then RiscOS(RC7) would boot, but not the Raspian (dec 2012) [it would read the card for less than a second and then do nothing]. Tried using different cards, but the results were consistent. Then I saw in the downloads section that there's a newer Raspian image (feb 2013) available. Downloaded it, put onto the card and it worked! (I later moved back to the first power strip, plugged it in, switched off all the other devices using the strip's switches, and it worked [even with the 700mA supply]. Don't know why...)

It seems as if there were two problems:
1) Power supply issues
and when that was fixed:
2) Something which could be fixed with the newer images. (My Pi uses Hynix memory, maybe its that)

asphyx

Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:32 pm

I've had the Pi for a few months now and only recently started doing my project with it. The problem is, half of the time it won't boot. If I take the SD card out, put it back and reboot (rinse and repeat 5-20 times) it boots again, until I move or simply touch the SD card, then it just dies again.

Apparently my SD card connector is defective in some way. Is this in any way repairable or do I have to send it back?

MaxK1

Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:59 pm

Could be the card itself or the connector. The connector might have a bad solder joint or the card has some physical damage. See if any of the pins are out of line (magnification required!) You might be able to "adjust" the pin with a needle, but be very careful prying. The contacts on the card may need to be cleaned.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

mistige

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:46 pm

I had the red light (+ faint green light) for a long time.
Problem is now solved.
What helped me, was sticking the MicroSD (the nailsize card)
into a *different* MicroSD adapter.

The Samsung MicroSD adapter is the one I use now
and the Pi has been steady as a rock since then.

HIH,

mistige

MrEEPBppt

Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:59 am

I´m having the same problem here, Yesterday I was coding and Today i Have the red LED when pluged. I found that the Capacitor and voltage regulator were very hot, so I measured the voltage at the GPIO pins, I should have 5V and 3.3V right?, well I had 2.9V and 1.9V, so maybe the source was the problem I measured the voltage and had 5.1V. I´m starting to think that there is a problem with the voltage regulator
SE8117T33 wich acording to the datasheet sould give 3.3V and it is just giving 1.9V. If you multiply 3.3V times 1.526 will give you 5.03V and if you multiply the same number by 1.9V you get 2.9V so is the same rate. The problem is I can´t get the SE8117T33 any time soon to change it and see what hapens. ´cause I think that because it´s not getting the minimun voltage to work it doesn't try to boot right?

obcd

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:39 am

A voltage regulator can also drop it's output voltage if it becomes 2 hot (thermal shutdown) or if the requested current is higher than what it can deliver (overcurrent protection). The second thing usually also triggers the first. The nearby capacitor might be hot because the heat is radiated trough the pcb ground plane. You can check the regulator input voltage. If something on the board needs 2 much current, the polyfuse will trip. This will result in TP1 - TP2 testvoltage not being 5V anymore.
Have you done any hotplugging before it started to happen?
Connecting the hdmi plug while it's powered can be enough to cause a discharge that destroys the Pi.
Most Pi supply adapters aren't grounded. If the monitor you connect is grounded, some current can start to flow between the 2. If the signal lines connect before the grounds, it's a problem since the grounds might still be at a different potential.
My point is that the replacement regulator could show a similar behavour.

drgeoff

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:17 pm

obcd wrote:My point is that the replacement regulator could show a similar behavour.
Perhaps, more explicitly: Those voltage regulators are quite tough little blighters. The RPi's SoCs are not. :(

Return to “Troubleshooting”