tito

Debian Squeeze Telnet Not Working

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:44 pm

telnetd of debian squeeze is not installing correctly. ps -aux | grep telnet is not showing any port ready to listen! dpkg-reconfigure telnetd confirmed that the package has not been installed as it should be. During installation it actually looking for /etc/inetd.conf which is not in the /etc. Even if I create one empty /etc/inetd.conf file and reinstall telnetd, installation do not teturn any error and telnet remain silent. Something interrelated with xinetd rather than inetd, I believe. Can someone more experienced with pi board help fixing the matter or explaining what's wrong? I only received the board this aftrernoon. Many apologies in advance if this has already beed discussed.

louisb

Re: Debian Squeeze Telnet Not Working

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:59 pm

I don't know if you count yourself as beginner or more experienced user of Linux, but the use of telnet is really not recommend nowadays and as a result very few people us it as everything you type is not encrypted. It is recommend that you use ssh. (use PuTTY and WinSCP if want to access the r-pi for a windows PC)

Sorry I cannot help you with telnet as I don't use it.

tito

Re: Debian Squeeze Telnet is Working

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:45 pm

OK, I am replying to my own post as I see some of us is looking for working telnet server. I have it working now but yet to test security issues. Those who want it running may try following simple steps.

Create/edit (I had to create) a file: nano /etc/inetd.conf
type line below
telnet stream tcp nowait telnetd.telnetd /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
save the file ^X (CTRL+X)
Install telnetd - (apt-get install telnetd)
check if telnet is listining to desired port by typing netstat -a | grep telnet
If you see telnet is listning to the port, it is running and you should be able to telnet your.raspberry.pi.ip

best wishes.

stevethesimtec

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:25 am

Many thanks for the info. My install of debian squeeze, however, uses xinetd so had to modify /etc/xinetd.conf instead

JerryRice

Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:01 am

Does anyone know how I can use the RPi to telnet into another device that I have connected to the Ethernet?

I connected it, its in the same IP range as my RPi - but the which I am in the command prompt I type telnet then the IP.. the telnet command doesn't seem to work. Any help will be appreciated!
Jerry Rice - alias

Eben has BALLS-OF-STEEL!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:16 am

As mentioned above, please use SSH. I think that installed by default, although I think you need to enable it - see the WIki. It's much newer and more secure than Telnet.

James
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

ecw

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:29 am

Use ssh if the device your connecting to supports it and it's configured.

How does your telnet not work?
If the shell says command not found, apt-get it.
If you get connection refused, the device your trying to connect to is not listening on telnet's port 23 (assuming your not specifying a port on the command line).
If the telnet hangs for a while for the connection to time-out, make sure the remote ends is on, check network connections at both ends (the pi and the remote device), check IP is correctly configured at both ends, and finally remove any firewalls (hardware or software, including ipfilters and windows firewall) between both ends.

Telnet is a very useful tool and is more often used these days for problem diagnosis (and spoofing SMTP) rather than remote login sessions.

JerryRice

Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Hello and thanks for the help - The device I am connecting to has to be connected to via telnet.

When I use the telnet command on the RPi,
it says: bash telnet: command not found

then I took your advice and:
sudo apt-get telnet

and it says: E: invalid operation telnet

- A few days ago I remember installing something called telnet.d but that dident help.

Its got to be something simple I am missing here, any ideas?
Jerry Rice - alias

Eben has BALLS-OF-STEEL!

rpdom

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:53 pm

JerryRice wrote: then I took your advice and:
sudo apt-get telnet

Its got to be something simple I am missing here, any ideas?
Yes.

The command is:
sudo apt-get install telnet

JerryRice

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated :)
Jerry Rice - alias

Eben has BALLS-OF-STEEL!

Return to “Troubleshooting”