chleo

rpi can not boot properly due to EXT4-fs error

Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:37 am

hello all,

my rpi uses Raspbian, it runs smoothly for a long time.
but, yesterday when i reboot it from python script, it can not boot up properly anymore.
after "Starting system message bus: dbus.", it shows a black screen, about 1 min,
then, many lines, such like:
"[122.594475] EXT4-fs error (device ...): __ext4_get_inode_loc: 3697: inode #71772: block 4630: comm startpar: unable to read itable block "
"[122.783540] EXT4-fs error (device ...): __ext4_find_entry: 1209: inode #8204: comm rc: reading directory lblock 0"

i assume it might be related with FS error on "corrupted" SD card?
so try "fsck -r -y -t vfat /dev/sdb1" and "fsck -r -y -t ext4 /dev/sdb6", but it still doesn't work...
can anyone help what's the problem? thanks a lot!!!

jojopi

Re: rpi can not boot properly due to EXT4-fs error

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:00 pm

The errors suggest that important metadata blocks cannot physically be read from the card. You should see some mmcblk0 buffer I/O error messages as well, and they are the real problem whereas the EXT4-fs errors are just a symptom. fsck will not be able to do much to repair the filesystem unless you first copy it to a functional device using a tool such as ddrescue.

Have you had issues that may have interrupted power to the SD card during writes? It is possible the card's internal block mapping is confused, or the flash memory could be faulty or worn out.

If there is any data on the card that you might want to recover then you should stop using it for now and install Raspbian on a fresh card. You will need a working Linux system with a USB card reader and enough space to store a full image of the faulty card, in order to attempt recovery.

If you do not need to recover any data, then try a full format with format size adjustment using the SD Association's Formatter, and reinstall. Either way, I would treat the card as being probably on its last legs.

chleo

Re: rpi can not boot properly due to EXT4-fs error

Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:35 am

Thanks jojopi.

>>>I would treat the card as being probably on its last legs.
what a sad story to me...555
i didn't see any buffer I/O error messages. i have only a debian VM, and actually so far i can still mount its linux EXT4 partition /dev/sdb6, and work on files/dirs... why?

the sd card is plugged in rpi's sd slot, i do remember there were several times, rpi failed to response, so you know, i have to ... this may cause the problem you mentioned.
my last backup was 2 month ago, the data is important for me. so, i will try fsck.ext4 -f again, and the tool you suggested "gddrescue".

thanks again, jojopi

Return to “Troubleshooting”