catch22

Is my Pi dead?

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:00 pm

Hello!

I've had my Pi for a couple of months now and I've been tinkering with it a lot. I've done everything from a webserver, torrent-seedbox to mediaserver. All until yesterday when my Pi unexpectedly crashed (or so I think) and didn't wake up. I had previously transferred files via the samba share to a connected external drive (it was currently running OpenELEC) when it just died.

Info:
- The power supply is the recommended one from PiHut and it has always worked, so we can cross that off the list.
- The SD-card isn't corrupt, I've successfully reformatted, written, read etc from it before/after the crash.
- The cables are all working, tried them in different devices multiple times.
- The Pi has not been operating under unusual conditions, it has been sitting beside my TV for 3-4 weeks. It has been operating between 50°C - 57°C.
- The Pi was overclocked at 900MHz at the crash, but it wasn't set to force_turbo so the warranty shouldn't be voided.
- Checked the SD-connector (on the Pi), nothing seems bent or broken.
- Inspected the whole Pi and found no evidence of damage to the board.

I've tried everything from reformatting the SD-card and installing various different operating systems:
- Raspbian
- OpenELEC
- Xbian

It never boots, the red power-LED is turned on but no other LED ever light up. The ethernet-LED don't seem to respond either. No signal through HDMI on boot either.

What do I do now? Can I try to diagnose this further somehow? Is my board still covered by warranty or do I have to buy a new one?

Thanks in advance!

redhawk

Re: Is my Pi dead?

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:06 pm

Have you inspect the SD Card holder sometimes pins bend and break or there maybe intermittent contact with SD Card.
Try starting your Pi but applying pressure to the Card (search for clothes peg for further info).
If that doesn't help then swap out the power supply for another one (or use PC's USB for power supply) or check out the power troubleshooting page http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems

Richard S.

catch22

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:09 pm

redhawk wrote:Have you inspect the SD Card holder sometimes pins bend and break or there maybe intermittent contact with SD Card.
Try starting your Pi but applying pressure to the Card (search for clothes peg for further info).
If that doesn't help then swap out the power supply for another one (or use PC's USB for power supply) or check out the power troubleshooting page http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems

Richard S.
I've checked both of those things already as stated in my first post. Any other ideas? :(

Just to make sure: I just tried again and it doesn't boot up if I put pressure on the SD-card, and it doesn't help if I switch to another power-supply (powered usb-hub).

Burngate

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:40 pm

However adamant you are that your power supply is perfect, nobody is going to believe it isn't a power problem until you measure the voltage on the test points.

If it hasn't booted, the Ethernet LEDs won't light up, and nothing will appear on your monitor.
If it starts booting, the green LED will flash; if there's no flashing green LED, then the Pi isn't reading the first files from the card - bootcode.bin, then start.elf.

So has your card got those at the top level, according to whatever computer you used to install the OS?

Power problems could be the supply, its lead, the connector, the polyfuse. So measure the voltage on the test points

catch22

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:51 pm

Burngate wrote:However adamant you are that your power supply is perfect, nobody is going to believe it isn't a power problem until you measure the voltage on the test points.

If it hasn't booted, the Ethernet LEDs won't light up, and nothing will appear on your monitor.
If it starts booting, the green LED will flash; if there's no flashing green LED, then the Pi isn't reading the first files from the card - bootcode.bin, then start.elf.

So has your card got those at the top level, according to whatever computer you used to install the OS?

Power problems could be the supply, its lead, the connector, the polyfuse. So measure the voltage on the test points
I understand your point. The thing is I find it hard to believe that two different power supplies (that has been tested and working earlier with the Pi and with other components) would suddenly stop working over night.

The SD card is as properly configured as you can according to the specific tutorials for each OS I've tried with. I've just tried to build the OpenELEC latest release (4.0.4) myself to make sure it's proper and it doesn't want to boot from that either. :(

The power adapter (the PiHut one) supplies 5v & 700mA according to my multimeter... That should be enough, right?

Mr.Dave

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:35 pm

700mA is the absolute minimum needed iirc

If it is not pushing out exactly 700mA, that could be the problem

I use a 1200mA Nokia charger

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:48 pm

even if the power supply is okay, that is still not a guarantee that the correct power reaches the PI, so THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE is to measure the voltage between TP1 and TP2!

catch22

Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:12 pm

mahjongg wrote:even if the power supply is okay, that is still not a guarantee that the correct power reaches the PI, so THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE is to measure the voltage between TP1 and TP2!
Those are the numbers (approximates, it's +- 5mA) from the test points on the board. :?

Should I just assume it's broken and just buy a new one? :(

rpdom

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:14 pm

How do you measure the current (mA) from the test points on the board :?:

solar3000

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:07 pm

have you tried a different SD card?
Antikythera

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:58 am

have you tried where you should have started, before even posting?

by reading the sticky? http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91&t=58743

Return to “Troubleshooting”