nathanhornby

apt-get error when installing desktop environment

Fri May 23, 2014 10:30 am

Hi all,

Hitting a stumbling block pretty early…

Have got noobs onto the SD card, and let the Pi do its thing. Raspbian appears to be installed as expected; however when running 'sudo tasksel', and subsequently choosing to install the desktop environment, the process get's to 99% complete, and then fails, with the error: "tasksel: apt-get failed (100)".

So, um, ye, where do I go from here?

DeeJay

Re: apt-get error when installing desktop environment

Fri May 23, 2014 12:08 pm

My response is that I wouldn't start from here! I'd never heard of tasksel until I read your query.

Is there some reason you want to go down this road instead of using the lxde desktop that is installed with Raspbian by default?

Have you tried creating a desktop by entering startx at the shell/cli prompt at boot time, or by selecting the 'boot to desktop' option in raspi-config?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

nathanhornby

Fri May 23, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi,

I'm new to raspbian (this is my second Pi, my first is just a media centre running xbian), after googling 'How do I get a gui for raspbian?' after being confronted with the command line all of the top results suggested the method I posted.

So that's the only reason I didn't try that method, nobody told me to :) There's literally 0 documentation with the Noobs package, short of how to get it onto the SD card, so here I am :)

I'll give that a try.

MrEngman

Fri May 23, 2014 12:48 pm

nathanhornby wrote:There's literally 0 documentation with the Noobs package, short of how to get it onto the SD card, so here I am :)
Really? Not quite true although maybe it could be improved some. Try this "Logging in and accessing the graphical user interface", here http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup/ and in several other places.

However, accessing the GUI is not really anything to do with NOOBS but with the images you load so you should be looking at the docs for the image you're using in reality.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

nathanhornby

Fri May 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Ah that's handy, hadn't tracked that page down, thanks! I wasn't trying to rail on the project, I appreciate it's maintained by few people and that comprehensive docs always sound easier than they are, I just didn't want anyone to think I hadn't looked for a solution :) That section wasn't linked to anywhere from the setup instructions or where you download the package, hence my first next step being Google :)

I have the GUI up and running now, with the above command line instruction, so all good!

MrEngman

Fri May 23, 2014 1:34 pm

That page is directly linked to from the Downloads page so shouldn't be too difficult to find. Go to the Downloads page and try clicking this text/link, "the NOOBS setup guide", just above the left hand NOOBS SD card image. :D

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

nathanhornby

Fri May 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Eh, turns out I'm just blind :)

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Troubleshooting”