xsilvergs2

Unable to change files

Thu May 22, 2014 10:49 am

My Raspberry Pi is stuck in the past as I can't change the content of any of the files.

If I sudo leafpad and change the content of a file the data stored in that file is changed until I reboot.

When I reboot the data is back as it was some time in the past.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

DeeJay

Re: Unable to change files

Thu May 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Mentioning your Operating System would be helpful - possibly Raspbian since you mention using leafpad.

Is this affecting one file in particular, or any file?

What happens if you use leafpad - without sudo - to create a new file in your own home directory? Does that file persist over a reboot? How do you reboot your system?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

xsilvergs2

Thu May 22, 2014 1:39 pm

Hi DeeJay

Raspbian is the OS.

This applies to all files.The other day I worked on an html file, so lots of changes throughout the day and each time I saved the file it saved correctly. At the end of the day "shutdown" Pi. Next morning opened file and its contents had reverted back to that of 24 hours previous.

Today I wanted to change /etc/Network/interfaces file but every time I reboot it reverts back to its previous contents.

Hope this helps

DougieLawson

Thu May 22, 2014 2:07 pm

Is the root filesystem mounted with rw or has it gone ro (read only) after a failure.
Is the root filesystem full?
Do you have the right permissions and ownership? Or are you running as root (with sudo)?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

xsilvergs2

Tue May 27, 2014 8:18 am

@ Dougie

Fantastic, rubbish bin was full. Emptied and now working.

Many Thanks

Return to “Troubleshooting”