jimjamz

NOOBS v1.3.7 Installation Error

Sat May 17, 2014 11:06 am

Hello all,

I'm having problems when trying to install Raspbian from NOOBS 1.3.7 onto my SD card.

Here are the steps I took:

Installation Steps:
1. Inserted the SD card into the Raspberry Pi.
2. Plugged in HDMI, Keyboard, Mouse, Ethernet and power cable in that order.
3. Strangely, it initially took me to the "Online Help" tab instead of the "Install" tab. Is this because the Ethernet is connected?
3. Chose Raspbian as the OS from the NOOBS install.
4. 5 minutes in and an installation error occurs. I didn't grab the error message because I was instructing my technically incompetent dad to do this via Skype video. However, the error message may have had the words: "Error downloading", "write error", "read-only". I can't be sure because he didn't write it down. It informed him to go to recovery mode by holding the SHIFT key but the Pi was non-responsive. After pulling the power then re-inserting the cable, he had just a black screen.

I've never had this before and have always had successful installations on other Pi's using this SD card, but not in this Pi.

I bought this new Pi last week and I added the latest NOOBS (1.3.7) to an 8GB Class 6 SD card, which previously had NOOBS 1.3.3 on it, and was working perfectly in a previous Pi. I did the following for him by VNC remote:

SD Card Preparation:
1. Formatted the card in Windows 8.1. The SD card is using a FAT32 filesystem.
2. Used 7-Zip to extract the files to the SD card.
3. Checked the SHA-1 hash of the downloaded zip against the reported hash on the official downloads page and it is the same.
4. Tested the archive using 7-Zip's in-built test feature to check the file integrity.
5. Ran CHKDSK /R on the SD card and there are no reported problems.
6. Ran a full error scan on the SD card using HDTune Pro 5 and no errors or bad sectors were reported.

Further Steps:
1. Re-inserted the SD card back into Windows 8.1. The Pi had broken the 8GB partition into 2 parts (1.38GB + 6GB). The primary partition had been re-labelled "RECOVERY".
2. Ran DISKPART to delete the partition(s) and the volume in that order.
3. Created a new volume, partition and formatted in FAT32 once again.
4. Extracted the NOOBS_v1_3_7.zip files back to the SD card using 7-Zip.
5. Same installation steps as before (this time, removing the Ethernet from the Pi before power on). Same error.
6. Repeated above steps 1-5 but this time when powering on the Pi, all we get is black screen.

I ran all diagnostic tests on the SD card once again and still no errors reported.

Everything should point to the SD card being at fault but all diagnostic tests show no errors. This same card worked in other Pi's with NOOBS v1.3.3.
- Did I use the incorrect filesystem (FAT32)?
- Is 7-zip somehow incapable of extracting the files correctly to an SD card?
- Something else?

Cheers,

James

GTR2Fan

Re: NOOBS v1.3.7 Installation Error

Sat May 17, 2014 11:33 am

Have you tried using the recommended SDFormatter tool instead of formatting the card directly in Win8? That's not necessarily the problem, but it's the only non-standard step I can see in your helpfully concise post above.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Don't forget to hit the 'Option' button and set 'FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT' to 'ON'.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

jimjamz

Fri May 23, 2014 4:27 am

Hi,

I tried the SD Card Formatter v4 (I always keep a portable USB copy of it handy). Still no luck.
I tried all 3 format options (Quick, Format (erase), Format (overwrite), with and without size adjustment enabled.

When the card is freshly formatted, it is put into the Pi and then powered on, to nothing on the screen and only the red power LED on the Pi's board. No activity light flashes at all.
I've ran the SD card through all the tests again and there are no reported errors or bad sectors.

I'm now beginning to wonder if I'm having the exact same problem that I had some months before:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 22#p515622

This Pi is a replacement of the original in the post above. Both were purchased from CPC, and both have roughly the same build date ('132X' - where X is 1 to 9) from last year. There seems to be a fault with the pins in the SD card reader not making contact with the SD card.
After speaking with CPC on the phone, they have confirmed there are some problems with some batches and have agreed to send me a replacement from an April 2014 build. Hopefully, this will have a better SD card reader. If not, I'm going back to buying from RS Electronics.

However, this is just another impediment of the original problem I am having with the NOOBS installation. I will try the installation again when the new Pi arrives and report my findings.

jimjamz

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Hello all,

Just to let you know that it was the Pi that was at fault. My second successive Pi purchased from CPC that resulted in the same hardware problem - a faulty SD card reader. I purchased one in December which had the same problem. CPC replaced it, but with one from the same batch (early 2013 models), resulting in the same problem. I spoke to them on the phone and they told me they would send me out a third, but from the new April 2014 batch. Third time lucky, this one has better connectors on the SD card reader and as a result, has none of the previous symptoms.

No problems with my SD card after all.

meijer00

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:48 pm

Can you use an analog cable with noobs or just an hdmi cable?

DougieLawson

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:03 pm

Yes.

You need to press 3 or 4 on the NOOBS system to choose analog PAL or analog NTSC video modes.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

meijer00

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:38 am

DougieLawson wrote:Yes.

You need to press 3 or 4 on the NOOBS system to choose analog PAL or analog NTSC video modes.
And how would I do this?

DeeJay

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:31 am

meijer00 wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Yes.

And how would I do this?
Seriously?

You reach out a finger towards the numbered keys along the upper edge of your keyboard and when your finger is over the one marked 3 you lower your finger firmly until it has made contact with the key and keep pressing until the key won't move any more. Then let go.

The official documentation is here - https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/bl ... E.md#about
Display Mode Selection: By default, NOOBS will output over HDMI at your display's preferred resolution, even if no HDMI display is connected. If you do not see any output on your HDMI display or are using the composite output, press 1, 2, 3 or 4 on your keyboard to select HDMI preferred mode, HDMI safe mode, composite PAL mode or composite NTSC mode respectively.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Return to “Troubleshooting”