Toquinn

Raspberry Pi 512 openelec xbmc movies freeze

Mon May 05, 2014 4:43 am

Hey guys,
as the subject suggests, I am having trouble getting my movies to play in xbmc.
I have seen this has been a problem for a few people but no one has really got a definitive answer. For a lot of you, the rpi is a $35 computer....Not in Australia, mine set me back in excess of $170 after the powersupply, wifi, case, sd card etc. So I'm not happy it won't do the one thing I bought it for.

Out of the 20 or so movies I have on my hdd, only 2 of them seem to play well enough to watch.
They are all .mkv and .mp4. They will start to play, some go on for minutes before having problems, others only seconds. Some have minutes between freezes/hangs/pauses, others only seconds. It seems to be a random event. But! The movies it does play well, always play well.

My specs are as follows.
Rpi 512mb
Openelec Xbmc Frodo 12.2
5v 3a psu & 5v 2a psu
powered usb hub that does not backfeed
sandisk class 10 sdcard
wd my passport usb hdd 500gb exFat

I have overclocked and changed the gpu_mem balance in the hopes the would fix it to no avail.

Please, please, please offer any advice you may have. (explanations are muchly appreciated too)
-Toquinn

Toquinn

Re: Raspberry Pi 512 openelec xbmc movies freeze

Tue May 06, 2014 11:09 pm

Anyone? No one has any ideas?

beta-tester

Wed May 07, 2014 5:33 am

unfortunately i have similar problems with HD videos as well. but not with OpenELEC 3.2.3... so i downgraded to that version and turned off the Automatic Update option to keep this version as it is.

i tested different thinks:

RaspberryPi 256MB RAM + OpenELEC 3.2 .. OpenELEC 3.9 betas - only able to play SD videos, freeze as HD Videos alot.

RaspberryPI 512MB RAM + OpenELEC 3.2 .. OpenELEC 3.9 betas - SD + HD Videos only able to play with OpenELEC 3.2.3 smoothly. alot freeze with higher versions of OpenELEC!

some playback problems with Video output Refresh rate 60Hz. i switched to 50Hz, and all went smooth (maybe depends on the videomaterial - europe=50Hz)

i turned off RSS feed, that eats 50% CPU load!

i just updated to OpenELEC 4.0, and i will give thata try, and let you know if it works for me.

PS.: if you used "Handbreak.fr" to convert your HD videos to mkv/mp4, there is a bug - for some videos it choose an output with/heigt of larger than 1920/1080 e.g. 1920/1088 with that you get ugly artifacts on playback on your RPi.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (256MB), B (512MB), B+, ZeroW; 2B; 3B, 3B+; 4B (4GB)

beta-tester

Wed May 07, 2014 7:10 am

with OpenELEC 4.0, playback HD video freeze as well... :x :cry: :(

so i downgrade back to OpenELEC 3.2.3 and apply my last good backup
... with that i had no freeze in the past.

GTR2Fan

Wed May 07, 2014 7:19 am

If you really are getting nowhere with OpenELEC, try RaspBMC instead. Performance should be near-identical once you get past the slower initial boot-up.

http://www.raspbmc.com/download/
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

beta-tester

Fri May 09, 2014 4:07 am

GTR2Fan wrote:If you really are getting nowhere with OpenELEC, try RaspBMC instead. Performance should be near-identical once you get past the slower initial boot-up.

http://www.raspbmc.com/download/
thank you very very much :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

your suggestion to use RaspBMC was very good. i run RaspBMC now since two days with similar settings on my RaspberryPi 512 and playback all my FullHD video materials ~48 hours non-stop in a loop with out any freeze!

i never thought that i ever could use XBMC 13 on my RPi. so the problem is not XBMC 13, it is the base under - OpenELEC. strange OpenELEC was made to act as a lightwight base for XBMC - and RaspBMC is more ore less a normal wheezy plus XBMC and it makes much less problems...

only two very tiny issues i have with RaspBMC that OpenELEC was better in.
1. keyboard mapping - in RaspBMC in the UI, i was not able to get a german keyboardlayout. i had to do is via SSH - ans german special chars like "ÄäÖöÜüß" are still not working (but these could OpenELEC not handle either)
2. i could not find a backup and restore usear settings option.

every thing else is working smooth...

thanks again!

PS.: i don't know if it is good, but with RaspBMC i am also able to use the normal apt-get package installer and "rpi-update" (after installing depending packages) to update from linux 3.10.x to 3.12.18+ and it still works...

GTR2Fan

Fri May 09, 2014 6:52 am

You're very welcome. Glad you're sorted. :D

I don't know about keyboard language settings I'm afraid. To make a backup of your playlists, thumbnails, add-ons and other configuration details, you can install the 'XBMC Backup' add-on via the program add-on manager. It adds scheduled backup functionality. All you need to do is to tell it where to make the backup, when and how often. You can keep multiple backups if you like and revert to any of them if things go wrong. Job done. :)
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

schmullus

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:09 am

Hey guys, I had some HD playback issues too. I could solve the problem by changing settings called "adjust display refresh rate to match video" in Settings/Videos. My rasp is connected via HDMI to my Symsung TV, as soon as I start to playback a movie or TV-Series, the TV switches to 24p or whatever the source is. At the end, it switches back to my german 50p mode.

-- Raspberry Pi B+, Openelec 4.2.0, XBMC 13.2

Return to “Troubleshooting”