monkeyslayer56

Rainbow on reboot/poweron

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:01 am

Well i got my pi put arch and xbmc on it spent some time over the last couple of days tweaking it to my liking, reboot, tweak,reboot etc and now as i put the final touches, on reboot im greeted with the rainbow splash image... the strange thing is if i let it set for a few minutes and try to turn it on it'll work just fine but if you poweroff (poweroff then pull plug or just pull plug) and plug it back up within a few minutes of the poweroff it'll do this, tried with different power supplies, both of which were working fine yesterday.
So basically the question is this. What could be causing that and what can i do about it? would my config.txt(nothing crazy just setting HDMI mode, HDMI audio, not even overclocked) and/or other config files be useful? I on on the 5/31 firmware, i did recompile the kernel (crosscompiled) to get the mceusb module but it worked fine after this as well (several back to back reboots as i tweaked some stuff to get everything booting just right)
Any help would be appreciated

hjongste

Re: Rainbow on reboot/poweron

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:32 am

That is the nice thing about the Raspberry Pi and the experimenting platform it provides. Just get an extra SD card and see at which point you can reproduce the funny rainbow colours.

monkeyslayer56

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:34 pm

strange... let it sit overnight then powered it up, it came right up as expected, but then i powered off and back on, it came back up again, so i played a couple of 720p videos thinking maybe its a heat issue and rebooted and it still came back up... so idk if the problem went away or im just not letting it heat up enough or somthing. Either way the pi is very sweet :)

monkeyslayer56

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Sorry for the double post (couldn't find an edit button...) but it started doing it again after i left it on for 45 min or so. When i compiled my kernel i used the ZImage instead of the Image (read that the latest firmware supported Zimage) and so i tried going back to the Image, now it appears to be fixed again. Will post back if that doesn't fix it

Return to “Troubleshooting”