Sharok

[debian] No keyboard/mouse after startx

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Okay, so I've searched a lot on the internet and tried to experiment...

Details:
The keyboard works when there's only text on my screen, I can write commands, login, and startx.
LXDE loads and everything seems fine, the keyboard has power, the mouse too, but they won't respond. ATM I use a wireless HP keyboard (dongle is 50mA) with a 0.700mA PSU that i checked (4.99 volts)

I obviously tried to use a 2A power hub (but it's a Dlink, so idk if it would work at all)

My Ethernet works (i performed an update) so i don't think the 25khz crystal is a problem...

One possible source of the problem might be that i use a SanDisk 8gb pro SD card rated at 95mb/s (It's lightning fast, boots in under 10sec!!!) I patched my kernel with an updated one from github.

I tried these devices (directly and on the hub):
Logitech G700
Logitech mx512
Razer blackwidow (hub because it is 500mA)
Logitech G15 (hub because 500mA)
HP generic wireless keyboard/mouse (2009) (50mA dongle)

Sharok

Re: [debian] No keyboard/mouse after startx

Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:27 pm

I just noticed that:
- The HDMI cable seems to power the board... but it seems to not be a problem.
- The voltage when i check TP1 and TP2 is 4.7volts, with a perfectly fine PSU.

I am confused... what is eating 0.3 volts on my raspberry? :S

MarrsAttax

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:51 pm

I had a problem where the keyboard and mouse stopped working after starting X. Running the command rpi-update fixed the issue for me.

Sharok

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:23 pm

MarrsAttax wrote:I had a problem where the keyboard and mouse stopped working after starting X. Running the command rpi-update fixed the issue for me.
Thanks it worked!

What I did to fix the problem:
1: Installed that kernel to get my SD card working (SanDisk 8gb Extrem Pro 95mb/s):
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... kernel.img
2: Installed the firmware updating tool:
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update/bl ... /README.md
(I also had to install github-core to get it working)
3: ran rpi-update and rebooted. Everything works now!

PS: The voltage is now 4.96v on TP1 & TP2, no more loss (it was my SD card that drained the power)

fromagique

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:26 pm

I have this same problem, or at least I had the same problem. I can use the keyboard just fine in console mode, and after starting X ("startx"), I got the normal desktop. But neither the keyboard nor the mouse would work in X--I had to kill the X process via ssh. Running rpi-update doesn't affect the keyboard and mouse problem. I also discovered that somehow the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf file was now (after running rpi-update) causing the Pi to completely lock up with high system load when attempting to start an X session. Oddly enough, no one process seemed to be taking a lot of CPU--'top' didn't indicate hardly any CPU usage by processes. But the load just kept climbing, and eventually the ssh session stopped responding, so I had to pull the power on the Pi and reboot. When I moved the 10-evdev.conf file out of the way (to /root), the desktop appeared as before, but the keyboard and mouse are no more or less useless than before.

I'm using the 192/64 memory split, by the way, and the keyboard and mouse are plugged into a self-powered hub.

This is rather frustrating. I can do a lot with the command line, but it would be nice to have the GUI available too.

piglet

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:46 pm

This is pretty common. How beefy is your power supply you're using for the pi?

fromagique

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 am

@piglet: I have an AmazonBasics USB wart powering the Pi--it says it's rated for 2.0 amps at 5V. The mouse, keyboard, and USB disk are all plugged into a self-powered hub that has two ports rated for iPad charging, so it has plenty of juice available. The Pi is completely stable in text (console) mode, but whenever I have a mention of evdev in any xorg.conf file (in /usr/X11/xorg.conf.d) it completely locks up, including losing connection to the USB disk that is serving as the root filesystem. This of course makes a power cycle necessary, since without a root filesystem you can't do anything. (I first noticed this when a ssh session I had open from another machine told me it had no idea what 'ls', 'ps', 'df', or any other commands were. I also got a ton of ext4 errors saying it couldn't access the blocks it was looking for, and there was no activity on the USB disk's LED indicators. When the lockup starts, there's a few seconds of solid activity on the USB disk (as in constant-on, not flickering, then nothing.) Somehow I suspect udev is involved in this problem, but I have no idea where to start in trying to debug it. I'm not very experienced with the intricacies of udev, input device hotplugging, and x.org/evdev.

piglet

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:08 am

fromagique wrote:The mouse, keyboard, and USB disk
I think this is possibly your problem.

Try first without the USB disk. If that works try the USB disk from another powered hub into the second pi USB point.

marsman2020

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:49 pm

Can you do three things from the console:

-Install gpm console mouse driver
-Stop gpm from starting on every reboot so it doesn't break your install when you reboot
-Start gpm service and see if you experience the same hang/drop of USB devices as when starting X

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gpm
sudo update-rc.d -f gpm remove
sudo /etc/init.d/gpm start

shirro

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:52 pm

If after a kernel upgrade you have keyboard at console but no input in X windows it is almost always due to your system not being able to load the evdev module.

You can confirm this by doing an lsmod and looking for evdev. If evdev is not listed check to see if the modules were installed. People may think they can upgrade the kernel.img on the boot partition from their windows computer and that will be sufficient. It isn't. The modules in /lib/modules/3.1.9+ need to be replaced as well. If the modules have been updated do a sudo depmod -a and then reboot and try again.

I believe rpi-update should handle all this correctly if it is available for your distro.

Joe Schmoe

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:56 pm

Is that "should" as in "should", or is it "should" as in "does"?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

shirro

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:44 pm

I don't use rpi-update (yet) but look at the source it does a depmod after a kernel update so it should work as in "does" unless something goes very wrong such as a crash during the update.

pygmy_giant

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:58 am

Hi

My problem is that I'm restricted to using the Pi offline as I have yet to work out how to get it working via my Huawei E220 dongle.

Therefore I can update the boot directory via my windows PC but can't access the modules directory using said PC.

Can I do this from a usb dongle using the Pi command line?
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

bartlettpsj

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:22 pm

I have been having all sorts of problems, but I have found a solution.

My Class 10 - 16GB card would not boot at all, but if you just replace start.elf, then the mouse and keyboard still work and you can boot. If you replace the kernel.img then the mouse and keyboard don't work in X.

A very wierd thing I am getting which is probably not related is that when I shut down and then reboot, it won't boot until I touch a file on the sd card (I think its that). All I do is copy over the patched start.elf file again. A bit of a nuicance for sure!!

hadi

Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Sharok wrote:
MarrsAttax wrote:I had a problem where the keyboard and mouse stopped working after starting X. Running the command rpi-update fixed the issue for me.
Thanks it worked!

What I did to fix the problem:
1: Installed that kernel to get my SD card working (SanDisk 8gb Extrem Pro 95mb/s):
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... kernel.img
2: Installed the firmware updating tool:
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update/bl ... /README.md
(I also had to install github-core to get it working)
3: ran rpi-update and rebooted. Everything works now!

PS: The voltage is now 4.96v on TP1 & TP2, no more loss (it was my SD card that drained the power)
I'm using Arch Linux with Xfce4. same problem. how can I update firmware? rpi-update is for Debian only?

xyster

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:04 am

I was having the same problem. with no keyboard and mouse when doing StartX

setup: hexxeh's raspbian ,32MB VRAM; with overclock @ 1000MHz; bluetooth keyboard + MS explorer mouse

Power supply said 2A @ 5V, which should of been 10W... but the Raspi's behaviour was a bit strange.

Changed the power supply to the iPod ChargingPort on my gigabyte desktop motherboard (a yellow USB port), and all of a sudden, things are working fabulously!

I ran some javascript benchies BTW, of ChromiumPi:

Via SSH/Xming @ very low res: 9.6 seconds
Via SSH/Xming @ 1080p: 17 seconds
Via StartX @ very low res: 10 seconds
Via StartX @ 1080p: 10 seconds

My desktop is over 30x faster than the best result seen above... but oh well.

Return to “Troubleshooting”