This is my first go at using any online forum, but I would really appreciate some help as I am trying [and failing] to help my son to set up his Pi model B which he received after winning the poster competition. I am a novice and everything I have done below is from reading your forum or searching the internet.
After successfully booting the first time with a 4GB SD card, he unfortunately chose archLinux, so decided to try again by selecting Raspbian, but there was not enough space on the card. We have reformatted the card and installed NOOBs again several times, but he gets the red light only.
We have spent several days reading the forum and tried most of the suggestions as follows:
- pressed 1, 2, 3,4 [as using a HDMI to VGA powered converter to an older monitor]
- tried uncommenting hdmi_force_hotplug=1 and hdmi_drive=2 [in the config.txt file] on the SD card
- tried connecting to HDMI TV.
- tried installing Raspbian only on SD card.
- downloaded NOOBs several times to restart whole process.
- bought a new bigger 8GB card as recommended to try again [but new problem emerged!]
We have Macs and I notice that two of the NOOBs files [ bootcode.bin and riscos-boot.bin ] remain unzipped. I know from reading the forum that they must be unzipped to work on the card. They change to cpgz files and back to zip files when I try to unzip. I have tried using the Mac terminal typing 'unzip' and dragging it in but nothing has worked. I see this can be a problem for Mac OsX but I have run out of ideas now. Any help would be appreciated as we are keen to get going.