Skyline Wanderers

Problem unzipping some NOOBs files on Mac

Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi
This is my first go at using any online forum, but I would really appreciate some help as I am trying [and failing] to help my son to set up his Pi model B which he received after winning the poster competition. I am a novice and everything I have done below is from reading your forum or searching the internet.

After successfully booting the first time with a 4GB SD card, he unfortunately chose archLinux, so decided to try again by selecting Raspbian, but there was not enough space on the card. We have reformatted the card and installed NOOBs again several times, but he gets the red light only.

We have spent several days reading the forum and tried most of the suggestions as follows:
- pressed 1, 2, 3,4 [as using a HDMI to VGA powered converter to an older monitor]
- tried uncommenting hdmi_force_hotplug=1 and hdmi_drive=2 [in the config.txt file] on the SD card
- tried connecting to HDMI TV.
- tried installing Raspbian only on SD card.
- downloaded NOOBs several times to restart whole process.
- bought a new bigger 8GB card as recommended to try again [but new problem emerged!]

We have Macs and I notice that two of the NOOBs files [ bootcode.bin and riscos-boot.bin ] remain unzipped. I know from reading the forum that they must be unzipped to work on the card. They change to cpgz files and back to zip files when I try to unzip. I have tried using the Mac terminal typing 'unzip' and dragging it in but nothing has worked. I see this can be a problem for Mac OsX but I have run out of ideas now. Any help would be appreciated as we are keen to get going. :? :?:

tvjon

Re: Problem unzipping some NOOBs files on Mac

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:03 pm

"We have reformatted the card and installed NOOBs again several times,"

How did you go about this?

Do you have only one SD card, eg., none available from a camera?

" tried installing Raspbian only on SD card. "

Again, how?

Whatever OS you have on an external computer will simply interpret (or ignore) file extensions according to what is typical for that OS. Those ".bin" files are binary files pertaining to RPi, but neither OS X nor mswin know that. You don't want to touch them.

DeeJay

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:34 pm

I am not a Mac user, but I am pretty confident that all you have to do is follow the NOOBS Setup Guide.

In particular, only ONE unzip operation is needed - to convert the downloaded NOOBS_v1_3_4.zip into a folder containing all the necessary files. Those files are then copied, untouched and in their entirety, onto an SD card. No other manipulation is necessary.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Skyline Wanderers

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi
Thanks for your reply. We used one formatted 4GB Lexar multi use SD card and tried the Element14 4GB card that came with the Pi. I have now bought a new 8GB SD card as recommended but have not used it yet.
We formatted the first two SD cards using SD formatter.app from the SD association on our Mac. We used quick format and also have tried the overwrite format on later attempts. After unzipping NOOBs package we selected files that were not zipped to drag to the card ( so excluded the two bin files as they had zip icons.). Is this correct?

We also downloaded Wheezy Raspbian on its own from the website and installed on reformatted card with nothing else but still only got red light on the Pi. Hence I am wondering if the 2 SD cards were corrupted by my son not shutting down the Pi properly on the first two boots. Thanks in advance for any further advice.

DeeJay

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:15 pm

Skyline Wanderers wrote: After unzipping NOOBs package we selected files that were not zipped to drag to the card ( so excluded the two bin files as they had zip icons.). Is this correct?
No.

You transfer the entire unzipped content of the downloaded file. That's 2 folders and about 9 normal files. Don't think about it and try to select things. Just copy everything.

We also downloaded Wheezy Raspbian on its own from the website and installed on reformatted card with nothing else but still only got red light on the Pi. Hence I am wondering if the 2 SD cards were corrupted by my son not shutting down the Pi properly on the first two boots. Thanks in advance for any further advice.
How did you install the 'raw' Raspbian image? Official documentation here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... ges/mac.md

The process of 'flashing' (writing the content of a 'raw' disc image) to an SD card totally ignores all previous content of the card, so any corruption caused will be rectified by that process.

A 4Gb SD card is not large enough to install Raspbian via NOOBS without some intervention, which is why the documentation recommends an 8Gb card.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:18 pm

Skyline Wanderers wrote: ...
We formatted the first two SD cards using SD formatter.app from the SD association on our Mac. We used quick format and also have tried the overwrite format on later attempts. After unzipping NOOBs package we selected files that were not zipped to drag to the card ( so excluded the two bin files as they had zip icons.). Is this correct?
The "zip icons" were a "Mac red herring" I guess (like @DeeJay I'm not a Mac user, but have tested NOOBS heavily). If the Mac's unzip program/tool allows you to do so, unzip directly to the SDHC card**. All the files and sub-directories (and their contents) are needed. When you use the SDA's formatting tool use "FULL (Overwrite) FORMAT" and "FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT ON". FWIW, although I only have examples for Linux and Windows XP, you may find my "screenshot-based" guides to using the NOOBS installer etc. helpful, if only to check that you've transferred all the necessary files etc.:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... lV132.html
Trev.
** One of the common Windows user errors is, because Windows unzip tends to create a "New Folder" containing the unzipped files, is to copy the folder rather than (all of) its contents. Unzipping directly to the SDHC card (easy in Linux) avoids this "trap".
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Skyline Wanderers

Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi all ( problems solved!)
Just wanted to say thanks very much for all the help on this thread and the other ones. What a great forum - really glad you are out there we have learnt a lot in a week from other experts.
In case anyone else has a Mac and notices the same issue - we used an 8 GB SD card ( 4GB not large enough) and dragged all the NOOBS files even the two bin files that still showed as zip file icons on our Mac and it worked this time. When booting the Pi, we pressed 1 on the keyboard to get the VGA monitor to work. Once Raspian was installed we had desktop overspill on the monitor but after checking the forum again we solved this by uncommenting one of the config.txt lines and changed right to 20. Not sure what it all means but it worked so one very happy son, thanks everyone. :D

DeeJay

Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:44 pm

Skyline Wanderers wrote:Hi all ( problems solved!)
Given your forum username, I think a response like: "Back of the net!!!" is appropriate. Pleased to know you are up and running - thanks for the feedback.

xavriley

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:53 pm

Just in case anyone else has this problem (unzipping a .zip file on a Mac producing a .cpgz file) I thought I'd comment here to.

I was trying to unzip with "Archive Utility" which is the default program on OSX. It didn't work so I right clicked the .zip file and went to "Open With". From that list I chose "The Unarchiver" which is a free program available from the app store. That unzipped to the .img that I wanted.

Take away lesson - Apple computers no longer "just work" :lol:

jwenting

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:49 am

It's not just a Mac...
The built-in zip functionality in Windows when trying to unpack a Raspbian image told me that it would need 734 petabytes (yes PB) in disk space and that it couldn't allocate enough (well, doh).

7Zip could unpack the same image just fine.

Return to “Troubleshooting”