morey8

USB Wifi Adapter and Mouse Questins

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 am

I feel like I'm doing fairly well for a noob to Linux. Got the audio working and luckily my Enermax Briskie Keyboard/Mouse combo connected right away and worked right away. However the mouse is acting a little funny.

It will move around fine but when I slow down or go to click something I notice it has a mind of its own and moves downwards making it difficult to navigate. Seems to happen randomly when I'm using my Pi, depending on the boot it will either happen all the time or like it is right now its working pretty well. But that could change next time I turn it on. Any ideas as to what could be the issue? Should I try another distro? I'm currently on Debian Squeeze.

The next issue I'm having is setting up the USB Wifi adapter, which I'm sure a lot of people are having the same problem but all seem to be using legitimate adapters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Wireless-Wi ... 214wt_1231

I'm using this one I just received yesterday. It came with a cd with the drivers, but I've only gathered so much from reading different posts with no definite answer. I'm assuming I have to get the drivers on a flash drive and transport them over to my Raspberry Pi but other than that I have no clue as to where the files need to go, and what commands to enter in order to get it working properly.

I'd eventually like to compile a thread of tips for beginners seeing as though I'm as much of a beginner as they come, many people may be going through the same things I am going through. So any help you can give me in getting the wifi working will eventually lead to helping others in a single complete thread. Thank you and I look forward to all the great things that will come from the Raspberry Pi and this community.

snaipperi

Re: USB Wifi Adapter and Mouse Questins

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:10 am

However the mouse is acting a little funny.
If the direction of the movement is always downwards, I don't have any ideas.
what commands to enter in order to get it working properly.
I would start by visiting http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi#USB_Devices and verifying whether your device is supported or not by default.

Even if that CD you received contain linux drivers, chances are that they're not for the ARM processor. But you may be in luck if the wireless chipset is already supported by the linux kernel.

morey8

Re: USB Wifi Adapter and Mouse Questins

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:02 pm

I went to verify the USB adapter yesterday just to make sure I didn't buy anything that would not work. Only problem is it is a no name eBay wifi adapter that is probably mass produced, so I don't think there is anything mentioning it on that list.

I do believe it will work though I saw someone on element14 had one similar from eBay and he got the drivers working but no connectivity. I'm assuming the connectivity will take a little work but if the drivers are okay then I don't see why I can't get started on that.

Are there any threads relating to transferring drivers over to the Pi? Or whatever I would do in order to get this thing working.

If this helps any, here is a screen shot of the contents of the driver CD that came with my USB adapter.

Edit: Kinda small but heres the link http://i.minus.com/iccUYCXVLMAaf.jpg

Return to “Troubleshooting”