intel32

No kbd or mouse in GUI

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:51 am

Hello all,

I am using the debian6-19-04-2012 img, it boots ok and my wired kbd works fine in command line. After starting GUI my wired mouse\keyboard don't work. I have them both plugged into a powered usb hub. I have tried plugging them directly into the raspberry with no success. I have also tried a wireless mouse\kbd both plugged in to the hub and directly in to the device with no success. What am I doing wrong?

thanks

bredman

Re: No kbd or mouse in GUI

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:50 am

It is fairly common that some devices fail after the startx command. The usual cause is a poor power supply.

Your powered USB hub may be sucking some current from your RPi. This can happen if the voltage of your USB hub power supply is too low.

Eros

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:17 pm

I am currently experiencing a similar issue, Iv used the latest image, and updated the kernel to allow my SanDisk SD card to work.

I bought a USB power supply rated to 2.5A which is plenty good for the PI plus a keyboard and mouse. Everything works fine until I startx, after which i can't get any mouse movement or keyboard response.

For more information I have tried using both the keyboard and mouse in a powered USB hub, and directly from the Pi both give me similarly dead mouse and keyboard, I am just searching around for software issues that could cause this, i have seen reports dotted around

thesynapseuk

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:31 pm

Having the same issues. Using an Apple USB charger (no problems with quality there!) and just trying to run a wired keyboard and mouse straight from the usb sockets. Have tried powered USB hub as well but no joy :( .

Command line is great. Keyboard works and mouse has the light on underneath it. But upon going into xwindows (or whatever it is, haven't had chance to find out!) the mouse conks out.

Thoughts?

Keyboard and mouse are basic Genius models.

speculatrix

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Anyone resolved this problem?

Got my RPi this morning. Using the current Debian image. I plugged in an Apple keyboard (one of the later chiclet-style ones) and a Genius mouse.

Both worked fine in both CLI and X11, except that the keyboard mapping was wrong.

Fixed the keyboard mapping with dpkg-reconfigure. Rebooted. Keyboard works fine in CLI. Ran startx. Mouse works fine but keyboard does nothing, like it's dead. Log out of X11 back to CLI, keyboard works fine.

Both keyboard & mouse are plugged directly into the Pi. Can't imagine the power supply is the problem because everything was working fine to start with.

Eros

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:47 pm

yeah had a similar issue when the Pi is first booted, the keyboard seems to make the pi respond as you might expect,,, hitting return makes it jump lines etc... then upon restart i cant log in... quite odd... will try different things and report back

Im going to change SD cards, originally i had to update the kernel so i could use a otherwise incompatible card

Eros

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:58 pm

OK so i think its a bit of a mix... i think party it is power, partly the newer kernel i used to get the SD card working... I have a card that works without and changes and EVERYTHING is fine now :D I also worked out which port of my 4port charging station is the 2.5A one ;)

Hopefully you will have some luck too

intel32

Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:05 am

Thanks Eros, I was also using a modified kernel. I bought a new SD card today loaded the debian image on it and everything works fine now. :)

Eros

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:32 am

awesome... apologies for my terrible english in the post above. I am actually English, but it seems that a mix of excitement that i got the R_Pi working and 'Drink' where not a great combination.

Return to “Troubleshooting”