donniezazen

Micro SDCARD and Adapter

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Hello,

I finally recieved Raspberry Pi. I am still waiting for Standard SD Card to be delivered. I am right now trying to get Micro SD Card with SD Card adapter. When I turn it on nothing happens. I am unable to figure out where to look for problem.

I have following accessaries connected to the RasPi.
Sandisk 8GB Class 4 Micro SDHC with Kingston Micro SD Adapter preloaded with debian image.
Logitech Wave Keyboard
TP-Link TL-WN722N
HDMI Cable connected to Westinghouse 42" LED 1080p TV (LD-4258)

Thanks.

dukla2000

Re: Micro SDCARD and Adapter

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:00 pm

Try the troubleshooting wiki page. My micro SD card (no name brand, 16Gb Class 10 from fleaBay) worked fine but YMMV.
Daily driver: Pi3B, 64GB Samsung Evo+ @100MHz, DVB-T, onboard WiFi for internet, BT/USB dongle for KB/mouse, 250GB HDD via USB for media, Raspbian Jessie Lite with Openbox desktop.
Museum: Pi B

itimpi

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:01 pm

It is quite likely that some of the peripherals exceed the current limits on the USB ports. I wold unplug everything except the SD card and HDMI to see if it then boots.

grumpyoldgit

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:03 pm

It is worth booting the Pi with the keyboard and mouse unplugged to see where you get to.
Also, what lights do you get?

Grumpy Mike

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Any load from the USB port is going to have zero effect on the SD card, so don't waste your time trying that.

I use a 8GB microSDHC Class 4 (SDC4/8GB) Micro Card with adapter with no trouble but that is a Kingston. You can check here if other people have found your card to be a problem but I think it should be fine.
http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals

donniezazen

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks for wiki link. I am going over it in a bit.

I tried booting it with power unit (5V 1A HTC power adapter), SD Card and HDMI cable. Still nothing comes up on TV.

According to wiki, Sandisk 8GB Class 4 Micro sdcard is known to be working. Is their a way to test SD Card? Like Virtualbox.

@grumpyoldgit Only light turned on is Power.

Update : I tried a different charger 5V 1.8A Blackberry power adapter but no luck. The wiki says image on sdcard might not be valid.

praest76

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:14 pm

Until today all I had to use with my Pis were a pair of microSD cards with adapters: A Samsung MicroSDHC 4GB class 2 and a Kingston 8GB class 4. The Samsung worked well and ran OpenELEC with no problems first try, the Kingston did nothing no matter what I put on it.

Your mileage really does vary.

Ironically I'm now using some full size Kingston 8GB class 4's and they work fine.
PRAEst76 [about.me/praest76]
  • Pi¹ - xibalba: OpenELEC, media centre
    Pi² - erebus: Debian Sid, general shell
Raspberry Pi Last.fm group - last.fm/group/Raspberry+Pi

donniezazen

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:09 am

Pi works fine on Verbatim 4GB Class 4 Card. I don't know if it was sdcard or adapters problem. Thank you all.

LastSilmaril

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:11 am

MicroSD cards seem to be particularly troublesome with the Pi. Sometimes I find that they'll work, the next day the same ones won't, the next day jiggering the power cable a bit sort of 'jump starts' them. It's quite a mess...but doesn't matter that much in the scheme of things; I just invested in a few full-size cards that should work.

Return to “Troubleshooting”