jimmybobby

RPi unexpected shutdown, no boot.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:49 pm

Hi,

The Pi was writing, then it killed an SSH session, it then stops responding to PING requests, meaning that it is offline, yes?

Therefore, I unplug the power, no ACT light, but then, when I plug it in, the act light flashes once, no, it isn't a Pi from Micron, it is with a SAMSUNG cpu.

Could the SD be corrupt?

The SD card is still readable from my PC, (Windows 7), is there any way of getting my files from the Pi, onto my PC, so that I can reformat the SD.

It has irreplaceable files on the Pi, no backup.
It's fair to say I like obsolete/old technology. :)
A Level Comp Sci Student

DougieLawson

Re: RPi unexpected shutdown, no boot.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:58 pm

jimmybobby wrote:
The SD card is still readable from my PC, (Windows 7), is there any way of getting my files from the Pi, onto my PC, so that I can reformat the SD.
Windows (without extra software) doesn't understand the Linux ext4 filesystem. You can find Windows programs that will add the support, but I've never wanted to try it that way.

Quickest way to get your data is to run a Linux Live CD (or bootable USB stick) that can read your SDCard and can write to your Windows HD. The one I use for that stuff is Knoppix. Download a copy, get it on a bootable USB stick, boot your Laptop from that. Insert the SDCard and mount the partitions (if you're using Raspbian without NOOBS it's normally /dev/sdb2, if you're using NOOBS it's normally /dev/sdb6).

That does rely on the /dev/sdb6 filesystem being readable and not terminally damaged beyond repair. Knoppix can run ext4 fsck to do a checkdisk on the ext4 partitions.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

jimmybobby

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:31 pm

Ok, I can try that, but then that still doesn't solve my problem of what I can do with the Pi...

Its strange; because I do need that, to run a weather website, so the quicker this can be sorted, the better.

Any help is appreciated.
It's fair to say I like obsolete/old technology. :)
A Level Comp Sci Student

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:03 pm

You could do all of your repairs on your RPi.

Get a new 8GB SDCard and stick a copy of NOOBS lite or Raspbian on it.
Boot that in your RPi so you now have a working Raspbian Linux system.

Get a USB SDCard reader
Mine is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Card-R ... B001725Y0Q
cheaper models are available (try the local poundshop).

With that you can have a running RPi and can read/write your borked SDCard using that SDCard reader. Hopefully you can rescue your important items that way. You can also use an SDCard reader to take backup copies of your SDCard on your RPi.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “Troubleshooting”