AAK

not working internet connection

Thu May 31, 2012 10:53 am

Hello!
I'm fairly new to linux, but i think this question isnt about that.
When i'm in terminal (without desktopx) i can pin www.google.com and have no packet loss and fairly fast response. Than i start my desktop and ping again. It will work the same, but the next ping (after a minute or so) will start loosing packets and in the middle of pinging i got "ping: sendmsg: Network is unreachable" and will not ping anymore. As soon as i logout from desktop, and ping again in terminal i can ping without a problem and packets loss.
Also I cannot connect to internet when i open midor or chromium.
The only things i installed were updated, chromium and networkmanager (i also cannot open that one (i tried to run it from "run" but nothing happened)).
Thanks for your time and reply in advance.

bredman

Re: not working internet connection

Thu May 31, 2012 12:23 pm

I would suggest removing networkmanager.

AAK

Thu May 31, 2012 1:35 pm

It was the same without it.
Another funny thing. I have an externall powered USB hub. So in theory it shouldnt affect the power and voltage on Pi, but whenever i have it plugged in, ping jumps from 55ms to 2000ms and start jumping from 170 to 3000 ms.
Any idea whats happening? Oh and nothing is plugged in.
Its trust Pyramid 7 port usb 2.0 hub

bredman

Thu May 31, 2012 2:35 pm

Does this command show any repeating errors referring to USB?

dmesg

AAK

Thu May 31, 2012 2:43 pm

It posted "smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: kevent 4 may have been dropped" about 100 times (the same line) and than "smsc95cc 1-1.1:1.0: eth0 Failed to read register index 0x00000114" and than "... failed to write register 0x00000008" and pasted those 10 times.
I dont have usb pluggin in, only my wireless mouse and keyboard.
Chromium works right now, but even google.com loading is 15 or more seconds.
After I type ping www.google.com it needs about 20 seconds than "unknown host www.google.com" appears.
But in Chromium i can still load everyhing

FixedCoil

Thu May 31, 2012 5:56 pm

I have had the same experience. Can ping from a terminal but not from a terminal on the desktop. My problem seems to be having my keyboard plugged in to a Cerulion 7 port hub (Maplin). This is the second hub I have had problems with. Possibly it is power related as with the keybd plugged into hub its caps lock led will not light, powered directly from the RPi it will.

If anyone has a hub that will provide adequate power e.g. run a 2.5 hdd, I'd be grateful for the model and brand.

marsman2020

Thu May 31, 2012 6:36 pm

There is an issue on this that I opened today on the raspberrypi/linux repository on github. https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/29.

There are some steps you can do to try and rule out a power supply issue, by installing 'stress' to create 100% CPU load at the console, if you are willing to help try and debug this.

Assuming Debian - from the console install stress (to load up the CPU) and pastebinit (to share your dmesg logs with us)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install stress pastebinit
Now load up the CPU to 100%:

stress -c 15 &
Now run your pings from the console. Wait ~10 minutes for the Pi's CPU to reach a steady state temperature. Let us know if the pings work with 100% CPU at the console.

When you're done:

killall stress
Will stop the 100% CPU load.

Now try LXDE (startx) again, and see if you get the same drops in network connectivity/high pings. After you exit LXDE the network should work again.

Let us know what this does, and pastebin your dmesg log when you get back to the console:

dmesg | pastebinit -b http://paste.debian.net
A URL will appear in the console, please post that URL.

AAK

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:12 am

Hey!
I tried your thing and here are results:
I installed those two things, started stress test and after 10 minutes i started pinging google. Without any packets loss and 55ms. Than i killed stress test and went to desktop, where i tried to ping, with no success. Unknown host error. When i returned to console, ping was working again as before.
I tried pastebinit, but somehow debian one didnt work, so i tried ubuntu.com and here is the link:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/1017756/
I hope this will help resolve this problem.
Regards

FixedCoil

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:47 pm

I am unfortunately separated from my RPi this week. I will try this test when reunited.

Middas

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 pm

I'm thinking this must be a power issue. I'm currently using a gaming mouse with the pi waiting for the post bank holiday post to arrive, and I cant get any Internet connection while on the GUI, but attempting connection in the GUI and immediately using ctrl+alt+f3 I have been able to ping, apt-get and browse the Internet, proving I leave enough time before ctrl+alt+f2 back.

The only difference I can think of is the mouse not doing anything while out of the GUI.

Maybe you could try using this as a working around until someone can isolate the problem.

AAK

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:32 am

I realised the problem was in wireless mouse. When I attached wired one, it worked much better. But since I dont know why external powered USB hub was a problem too, I decided to put Fedora on my rasp. Everything works much much better (hub, wireless mouse, usb stick), the only problem is, that I cant get this stuff http://elinux.org/RPi_Beginners work, to set up my locales and stuff. Will work on it a bit more.
But seriously, I think Debian has much more bugs than Fedora (in my opinion and testing).
Regards

marsman2020

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:55 am

For some people these issues are caused by a power problem, but in my case it's not. I spent quite a bit of time checking with an oscilloscope. See https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/29

peatmanb

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:33 am

I followed the advice on that thread just mentioned. I posted there but since this worked I wanted to let everyone know and am posting here also.

I got my Raspberry Pi today and had this issue. ping times were great until I started X and then they were terrible and soon i would just lose network.

I read this thread and did :

sudo apt-get upgrade

I got rpi-update and updated my kernel to:

[email protected] ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #114 PREEMPT Tue Sep 4 00:15:33 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

and I added :
dwc_otg.microframe_schedule=1

to the front of
/boot/cmdline.txt

Now everything is great. Thanks!
I had a Mac Keyboard so I had to use a USB powered hub. I guess thats part of the problem from reading this. Mine is USB 2.0 from IOGear.

Return to “Troubleshooting”