Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Trying to Get an Asus USB-N13 WiFi-n Interface Up

Sun May 27, 2012 8:34 pm

I have an Asus USB-N13 WiFi-n dongle and based on several sources on-line it has a RealTek RTL8192cu chipset. I had to download and install the RealTek .deb package by hand using dpkg because I don't have wired Ethernet access at my current location.

That seems to have worked fine, as there is a file rtl8192cu.ko file in directory /lib/modules/3.1.9+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192cu/

When I do a depmod -a and then a modprobe rtl8192cu.ko, I get:
FATAL: Module rtl8192cu.ko not found.

However, when I do a modinfo rtl8192cu, everything about the driver shows up just fine, including the path to the rtl8192cu.ko file, the path to the firmware file rtl8192cufw.bin, the device description, etc.

The dongle's info appears fine in dmesg, and it shows up in lsusb, but, the module doesn't show up in lsmod. I've put rtl8192cu in the blacklist to ensure something old that might be in the kernel doesn't get loaded, I've removed, waited, then reinserted the dongle, I've rebooted, and I still can't figure out why the driver doesn't appear to be loading.

Thanks in advance for whatever I'm obviously forgetting.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Re: Trying to Get an Asus USB-N13 WiFi-n Interface Up

Sun May 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Whoops! I should have typed modprobe rtl8192cu, not rtl8192cu.ko and it loads OK, now.

Darned computers do exactly what you tell them to do, not what you want them to do! Whatever happened to the DWIM (Do What I Mean) research effort? :)
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats

Jim Manley

Sun May 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Well, not quite there, yet. It turns out that the rtl8192cufw.bin file wasn't installed ... anywhere. So, I went off and dug that up, and put it in /lib/firmware/rtlwifi directory, which is where modinfo says it's expecting to find it.

A modprobe rtl8192cu doesn't return any errors, but, wlan0 can't be accessed by iwconfig, iwlist, etc., even after a reboot.

Restarting the network interfaces via /etc/init.d/networking restart results in the errors:

Could not get interface 'wlan0' flags

and

wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device (along with a laundry list of associated errors with not being able to find the device).

grrrrrrRRRRRR!!!!! THIS SUCKS!!!

MrEngman

Mon May 28, 2012 1:11 am

Jim Manley wrote:I have an Asus USB-N13 WiFi-n dongle and based on several sources on-line it has a RealTek RTL8192cu chipset.
Are you sure you have the right driver seems there are two versions using different wifi chips. My info is from here.

0b05 ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
1784 USB-N13 802.11n Network Adapter (rev. A1) [Ralink RT3072]
17ab USB-N13 802.11n Network Adapter (rev. B1) [Realtek RTL8192CU]
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Jim Manley

Mon May 28, 2012 5:56 am

Yep, I have the B1 version dongle and the corresponding rtl8192cu driver files for the Pi Debian armel. I would understand if I got errors when the driver tried to load, or if the driver failed when called, but, it's acting like it's loading fine, and an attempt should at least be made to call it if it's loading.

At least I can take the dongle back to Fry's, but, it's the only one they're selling that indicates it has Linux drivers available. They usually don't specify on the packages which chipset is used in given hardware, often not even listing the specific model, and there are frequently at least two chipsets used in each model series. I've never had to do that before and have eventually been able to get an interface working, but, I may just try to find a WiFi-g dongle someone is upgrading from on Freecycle, Craigslist, etc. I only have WiFi-g routers, anyway.

The Linux community needs to do what Apple did to solve this problem - OS X can usually use the x86 driver for an appropriate piece of hardware because it wraps the driver in a standard interface, even with their ARM-based Ax processors. That was particularly useful when they were still using PowerPC processors, but, life has gotten easier now that they use x86 processors in their laptops and desktops.

Jim Manley

Mon May 28, 2012 11:28 am

Finally got it working. I forgot that when I was originally trying to set up a borrowed WiFi-g dongle when I first received my Pi board, I had run wicd. I was able to bring it up after I stopped wicd with:

sudo service wicd stop (I think sudo invoke-rc.d wicd stop also works)
sudo update-rc.d wicd disable (keeps wicd from starting up again at boot)

Running wicd or network-manager will interfere with attempts to configure/control network connections. If network-manager is running, it can be stopped and disabled with:

sudo service network-manager stop
sudo update-rc.d network-manager disable
pkill nm-applet

I'm going to put together an end-to-end description about how to get a WiFi dongle working on the elinux.org/RPi_Hub wiki, starting with looking up the dongle info in dmesg, and all the way through running dhclient wlan0 and pinging networked sites.

MrEngman

Mon May 28, 2012 2:21 pm

That's good to hear.

I've produced a script to install rtl8188cus devices with Debian and it seems mostly to work. Just install Debian, copy 3 files to the /boot directory, the driver, firmware and script, and then run a single command. It would be useful to put it on the wiki but I haven't a clue how to do it.

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Charax

Mon May 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Jim Manley wrote:I'm going to put together an end-to-end description about how to get a WiFi dongle working on the elinux.org/RPi_Hub wiki, starting with looking up the dongle info in dmesg, and all the way through running dhclient wlan0 and pinging networked sites.
I love you! if only everyone working through problems on Linux did the same. I'm having the same problem (except I'm using the N10 rather than the N13 so I'm using RTL8192SU rather than CU)

bredman

Mon May 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Jim Manley wrote:I'm going to put together an end-to-end description about how to get a WiFi dongle working on the elinux.org/RPi_Hub wiki, starting with looking up the dongle info in dmesg...
I assume you mean how to look up the info with lsusb. dmesg is impossible for a newbie to read.

piuser

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:55 am

Jim Manley wrote:Finally got it working. I forgot that when I was originally trying to set up a borrowed WiFi-g dongle when I first received my Pi board, I had run wicd. I was able to bring it up after I stopped wicd with:

sudo service wicd stop (I think sudo invoke-rc.d wicd stop also works)
sudo update-rc.d wicd disable (keeps wicd from starting up again at boot)

Running wicd or network-manager will interfere with attempts to configure/control network connections. If network-manager is running, it can be stopped and disabled with:

sudo service network-manager stop
sudo update-rc.d network-manager disable
pkill nm-applet

I'm going to put together an end-to-end description about how to get a WiFi dongle working on the elinux.org/RPi_Hub wiki, starting with looking up the dongle info in dmesg, and all the way through running dhclient wlan0 and pinging networked sites.
Hi Jim,

Is the end to end available yet. Ive been playing with my usb-13 for days now with no success.
+1 for the end to end
regards :D
regards

Zaphod

paulie

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:19 pm

I too have been trying to get an Asus N10 usb up & running, without success.

Have an amd64 linux box running debian, with net access via mobile 'phone.
unable to use this for net access for rpi (tried lots of things without success including trying to bridge the wifi card to ethernet, and can't get phone to tether directly to pi)

First, failed to compile from source code on CD (no kernel headers).
Next, did git clone & then txferred to pi & ran 'make' overnight, with a
few errors.
Back to Asus source code - failed to compile because of mix of hard &soft float.
Commented out one line in makefile, which moved things along.

now get lots of other errors (locations of previous definitions, warning: "CR_TE" redefined, probs with struct initialiser, etc etc etc.....

It would appear that someone knows where a .deb package for the RTL8192U is located, Please could this location be posted, so I can do a download of a working module.
Running apt-get will of course only get packages for my AMD64 box, so please give me url so I can wget the .deb package for armel ( and yes I have tried searching for packages on debian site containing realtek, but found no packages - just patches)

I have , as i said before no net access from my pi and have to swap cards to write files
I have wasted about a week on this already and want this fixed so I can start using my Pi.
I don't have any way of plugging my pi into a ethernet connection that just works, so I need to use a wireless dongle to get any chance of it working.

Please help
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

Pi-n-Mash

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:35 pm

I've just updated my instructions here for installing the Edimax nano wifi adapter (which uses the rtl 8192cu chipset) to explain where I got the kernel module from. The instructions are to be found http://elinux.org/RPi_edimax_EW-7811Un, but I'm not sure how many other drivers you will find in the same location.

Pi-n-Mash

Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:58 pm

MrEngman wrote:That's good to hear.

I've produced a script to install rtl8188cus devices with Debian and it seems mostly to work. Just install Debian, copy 3 files to the /boot directory, the driver, firmware and script, and then run a single command. It would be useful to put it on the wiki but I haven't a clue how to do it.
I managed to put my step-by-step instructions onto the wiki, and it wasn't too difficult, even though I'd never done it before, and your script instructions must be easier :D Of course I don't expect wiki experts will like how I've done it, but at least the information is out there in a reasonably sensible place!

paulie

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:03 am

Update: got latest debian "wheezy" about a week ago - asus n10 is recognised, but all attempts to connect fail.
Using wicd, can find networks, but always get "bad password".
Have tried wpa2 passphrase & open on phone AP & router without success..
Thanks for latest debian,but any suggestions how to get n10 working? Is it a problem with wicd or wpa_supplicant?
N10 directly in pi, by the way.
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

MrEngman

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:09 am

paulie wrote:Update: got latest debian "wheezy" about a week ago - asus n10 is recognised, but all attempts to connect fail.
Using wicd, can find networks, but always get "bad password".
Have tried wpa2 passphrase & open on phone AP & router without success..
Thanks for latest debian,but any suggestions how to get n10 working? Is it a problem with wicd or wpa_supplicant?
N10 directly in pi, by the way.
wheezy alpha doesn't have wpa_supplicant installed so needs installing, but wheezy beta does.

peac

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:03 am

Hi Jim,

I'll second the plea for your guide! I've gone through all the step you mention, other than wicd and network-manager, which I don't seem to be running, and I still can't get the adapter recognized.

lsusb says:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0b05:17ab ASUSTek Computer, Inc. USB-N13 802.11n Network Adapter (rev. B1) [Realtek RTL8192CU]
and dmesg says:
11.897867] usb 1-1.2: new high speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[ 12.009554] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0b05, idProduct=17ab
[ 12.021303] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 12.033397] usb 1-1.2: Product: 802.11n WLAN Adapter
[ 12.043151] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: Realtek
[ 12.052171] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
but later dmesg says:
[ 18.377485] 8192cu: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
but iwconfig doesn't find wlan0:
lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.
I suspect the module_layout message is a clue, but I have no idea what it means. :)

Thanks! -Jeff

MrEngman

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:25 am

peac wrote:but later dmesg says:
[ 18.377485] 8192cu: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
but iwconfig doesn't find wlan0:
lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.
I suspect the module_layout message is a clue, but I have no idea what it means. :)

Thanks! -Jeff
Correct. The driver version is not compatible with the kernel version. You need an updated driver. Use the command

Code: Select all

uname -a
to get the kernel version and then look at the document here. It has a list of kernel versions and compatible drivers. Find the driver suitable for the kernel version you're running. Download the driver, untar it and install the new driver module. Do not try running the script the document is describing. e.g. these command should be what you need, just change the driver version number to suit.

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/8192cu-20120707.tar.gz
tar -zxf 8192cu-20120707 .tar.gz
sudo install -p -m 644 8192cu.ko /lib/modules/3.1.9+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
sudo depmod -a
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
Just one thing to note. For some kernel versions the code changed but the version number did not, not a good idea at all, so you may find the driver listed does not work and gives a similar error to the one you're seeing about the symbol module_layout, or maybe symbol_version errors. If It does try the next older version of the driver in the list instead.

peac

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks! Still not quite there yet. So, hope you have further suggestions.
[email protected] ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #125 PREEMPT Sun Jun 17 16:09:36 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
Then I run through the commands you listed, but when I get to the network restart I get this:
Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not re-enable some interfaces ... (warning).
Reconfiguring network interfaces...rfkill: Cannot open RFKILL control device
Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device
WEXT: Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface
Failed to bring up wlan0.
done.
I tried with all three versions listed and got the same for each.

MrEngman

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:04 pm

peac wrote:Thanks! Still not quite there yet. So, hope you have further suggestions.
[email protected] ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #125 PREEMPT Sun Jun 17 16:09:36 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
Then I run through the commands you listed, but when I get to the network restart I get this:
Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not re-enable some interfaces ... (warning).
Reconfiguring network interfaces...rfkill: Cannot open RFKILL control device
Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device
WEXT: Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface
Failed to bring up wlan0.
done.
I tried with all three versions listed and got the same for each.
The three driver versions are basicly the same except for the minor mods. Use 8192cu-20120629.tar.gz. Looks like you've got some additional apps installed that are screwing things up, rfkill and wicd, for a start.

Try disabling wicd and rfkill. For wicd look here.. There's loads on the internet about rfkill. You could try

rfkill unblock all
ifup --force wlan0

techsurvivor

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Just in case it helps someone, all I needed was to do the following (worked with latest rpi as of July 19, 2012:

get the script at
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/install-rtl8188cus.sh

chmod it to 700 "sudo chmod 700 install-rtl8188cus.sh"

sudo install-rtl8188cus.sh

Read the instructions carefully as to what to do next! (especially whether you should have your wireless rtl8188 device in the usb port or not).

Thanks to whomever wrote this script! I didn't see an author listed, but it was referenced in the above posts. Worked like a charm for my airlink 101 awll5088 device http://airlink101.com/products/awll5088.php and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X26PMO

Montala

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:51 am

Jim Manley wrote:I'm going to put together an end-to-end description about how to get a WiFi dongle working on the elinux.org/RPi_Hub wiki, starting with looking up the dongle info in dmesg, and all the way through running dhclient wlan0 and pinging networked sites.
Hi Jim,

Did your guide ever get completed, and 'posted', or have I managed to miss it somehow?

I am still looking for a 'step by step' guide to getting an Asus N10 up and running with the latest 'official' Raspian "wheezy" release!

Thanks! :)

guyute74

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Also interested in "the guide".

Return to “Troubleshooting”