melikescheese

Keyboard sticks!

Sun May 27, 2012 5:49 pm

I have just received my Raspberry Pi and brought and put an image on a 4GB Class 4 SDHC card by TDK. However when I plugged it in and started it up ready to jump into the joys of Geany the keyboard sticks and makes typing anything almost impossible. What could be causing this? All I have plugged in are the Keyboard and Mouse. :?

Grumpy Mike

Re: Keyboard sticks!

Sun May 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Either your keyboard is taking too much current or the software to drive your keyboard is screwed.
It happened to me, see:-
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =28&t=6592

melikescheese

Sun May 27, 2012 7:11 pm

SOLVED! I was using the USB port on the keyboard to power a mouse as well. Now i'm powering the keyboard and mouse from the Pi directly. I'm still a bit annoyed as this means I have no USB ports for anything else.

itimpi

Sun May 27, 2012 8:23 pm

I can see that getting a powered hub is a good idea to give more ports. As a side-benefit as long as it has sufficient amperage rating it can also power the Pi obviating the need for a separate power adapter.

Feakster

Sun May 27, 2012 11:25 pm

My keyboard sticks too (also missing some keystrokes) & only about a third of my mouse clicks register. It's highly frustrating & makes trying to type anything on the Pi near impossible. I think it could be a Debian driver issue for the Logitech unifying receiver in my case. I've just tried using Fedora ARM 17 & I've had no problems with the mouse or keyboard at all. :shock:

Does anyone know whether this issue will be fixed in upcoming Debian releases? Sadly I can't keep using this version of Fedora as it's insanely buggy. :cry:

I'm using a Logitech K360 keyboard & Logitech M325 mouse, both unified to run off the same USB receiver. I thought this may solve the problem of their being only 2 USB ports, but clearly I was mistaken.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 28, 2012 12:23 am

well, using a keyboard with build in USB hub for a mouse (or trackpad) would be the preferred option for the upcoming model A, but the current model B only supplies something like 100mA to a USB port, and drawing more juice from such a port may trigger the fuse built into the RPI. The fuse will probably recover automatically in time, but this can take days, also there is a memory effect in the sense that the fuse might trigger earlier, and will start blocking some power for a long time, which will make some USB devices fail.

The model B will probably have a bit stronger fuses, otherwise using a keyboard with built in USB hub won't be possible.

Hopefully the model B will get these fuses too eventually, but it will mean that the recommended 700mA PSU won't be enough in many cases.

robwriter

Mon May 28, 2012 11:47 am

I have this issue with a wireless MS keyboard/mouse.

I have 3 power supplys and a powered USB hub. One of the PSU's may be underpowered, but the others are definitely OK, and it doesn't matter whether I plug direct in to the Pi's USB ports or in to the powered hub - I still get the problem.

I've worked around it by using a wired KB and mouse but there must be something else going on - I don't see how the power supply alone can cause the problems I see.

Pikachu47

Mon May 28, 2012 12:02 pm

I use a wireless keyboard and mousepad combined and occasionally get the stuck keyboard issue. A reboot solves the problem though. I think it is a software issue, as it has only ever done it after I have opened Midori.

Feakster

Mon May 28, 2012 12:26 pm

Pikachu47 wrote:I use a wireless keyboard and mousepad combined and occasionally get the stuck keyboard issue. A reboot solves the problem though. I think it is a software issue, as it has only ever done it after I have opened Midori.
Mine does it all the time in Debian. Even before I start X it does it. Sometimes logging in can take several attempts as in linux CLI you don't get to see how many characters you've entered for the password. :evil:

Feakster

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:10 pm

Feakster wrote:
Pikachu47 wrote:I use a wireless keyboard and mousepad combined and occasionally get the stuck keyboard issue. A reboot solves the problem though. I think it is a software issue, as it has only ever done it after I have opened Midori.
Mine does it all the time in Debian. Even before I start X it does it. Sometimes logging in can take several attempts as in linux CLI you don't get to see how many characters you've entered for the password. :evil:
Feels a little odd quoting myself, but this is definitely a Debian Squeeze driver issue. My keyboard & mouse work fine on the RasPi on both Arch & Fedora Remix 17. Is there anyone from the Debian Squeeze team out there?

Scotty T

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:34 pm

I'm using the a logitech keyboard with the Unifying RX as well. I think it's a software related issue and it's quite annoying.

snaipperi

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:49 pm

Scotty T wrote:I think it's a software related issue and it's quite annoying.
Indeed. I'm using a wireless keyboard that misses keystrokes (usb receiver rated at 100mA). The thing is, that for every key press the receiver blinks once. It blinks once again when the key is released. Now I've noticed that I can press and release a key, and get two blinks from the receiver, yet end up in a situation where the raspi ignores the key being released and ends up repeating the key.

Potentially related issue is here, unfortunately not given much attention so far: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/19

Scotty T

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:28 pm

I've run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration"

I choose Logitech Ultra-X Cordless Media Desktop Keyboard.

This has seem to help a bit with the unifying receiver.

paystey

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:43 pm

Can confirm it here too, everything responds a little slower and the network even drops out when the unifying receiver is plugged in. Can't tell yet whether it's a power draw issue, or the unifying receiver itself. Will test some more in the morning with some high draw devices. It seems to be an on off scenario though, the moment it's plugged in everything slows and network drops, remove it and all is well. Using fairly reliable 700ma 5v phone charger.

paystey

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:59 am

Just to confirm, I tried a 1A power supply last night, but as soon as the unifying receiver was plugged in, the mouse worked but the Ethernet connection dropped out and some operations slowed to a crawl. Does seem to be a driver issue.

MisterAlex

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:20 pm

I came to this thread after googling for raspberry pi unifying receiver, since I was wondering if I could capitalize on a single USB port effectively for both the mouse and keyboard... doesn't look like the Debian Squeeze release has much luck.

Not to stray too far, but as it's related, I'll ask it... I noticed y'all mentioning 700mA power supplies, and even 1A--but the guide info that came with my Pi says not to use a power supply in excess of 500mA (that's why I'm currently using a 350mA cell phone charger).

For what it's worth, I was able to plug in a Logitech USB keyboard (and old mini-keyboard originally marketed for use with the PlayStation 2), and since I couldn't find a spare mouse, I plugged in my G700 receiver, and it worked perfectly. I did not, however plug in my Ethernet port concurrently with these, since my router is located in a different room than the one where I was playing with my RasPi.

itimpi

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Apparently the power statement was a mistake - it was meant to say AT LEAST 500mA.

MisterAlex

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:45 pm

itimpi wrote:Apparently the power statement was a mistake - it was meant to say AT LEAST 500mA.
Oh! Well, that's a horse of a different color... thanks for the info; I'll have to dig into the wiki and find a "safe range" for power supplies.

abishur

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:48 pm

MisterAlex wrote: Not to stray too far, but as it's related, I'll ask it... I noticed y'all mentioning 700mA power supplies, and even 1A--but the guide info that came with my Pi says not to use a power supply in excess of 500mA (that's why I'm currently using a 350mA cell phone charger).
When on earth is that distributor going to fix that error?! :x The model B really needs at least 700 mA if you're going to use the USB ports ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

normal

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:13 pm

I have a Logitech wireless desktop MX320 and the receiver (a regular one just for the MX320, not unified) is rated 5V .55mA (I think there's a period before the 55mA but it's so small that i need a magnifer to be sure, but it's certainly less than the 100mA most people have and i have the same problems wheter plugging it into the RPi or a powered hub. In fact i think using the hub makes it worse.

donwatkins10

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:05 am

I had experienced similar problems but they were reduced significantly when I separated the keyboard from the mouse and used both USB ports on a model B RPi. The problems were eliminated completely when I added a "cheap" powered USB hub (2.1A).

Using the powered USB hub to give the required current, the Logitech USB Unifying dongle is now comfortably supporting the xcr duties for both keyboard and mouse.

mashby

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:55 am

I found that on my model B, that if I just plug in the keyboard into the top USB slot it works (stops sticking on keys). I then re-attached the mouse and all is good. I haven't yet tried with the mouse and the keyboard. But I do know that the keyboard won't work in the bottom slot.

It still could be my power supply ( I tried three different ones so far) but this seems to be a ok workaround. :D
:mrgreen: (My son wanted Mr Green)

MarcoB

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:00 pm

MisterAlex wrote:I came to this thread after googling for raspberry pi unifying receiver, since I was wondering if I could capitalize on a single USB port effectively for both the mouse and keyboard... doesn't look like the Debian Squeeze release has much luck.

Not to stray too far, but as it's related, I'll ask it... I noticed y'all mentioning 700mA power supplies, and even 1A--but the guide info that came with my Pi says not to use a power supply in excess of 500mA (that's why I'm currently using a 350mA cell phone charger).

For what it's worth, I was able to plug in a Logitech USB keyboard (and old mini-keyboard originally marketed for use with the PlayStation 2), and since I couldn't find a spare mouse, I plugged in my G700 receiver, and it worked perfectly. I did not, however plug in my Ethernet port concurrently with these, since my router is located in a different room than the one where I was playing with my RasPi.
You should be able to re-sync the pairing with the Unifying software in Windows and then move the "newly" paired receiver to Linux. If you don't have access to a windows machine you can try this https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... Mvg3k9xTYJ
and have a look at this as well http://tycho.ws/blog/2011/12/logitech-unifying-receiver

Return to “Troubleshooting”