Latest Raspian causing conflicts

13 posts
by drentsoft » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:35 pm
Hi all I've been having trouble with my Pi (B rev 2 UK made) since I apt-get upgraded on the 31st. First the Pi finished upgrading then just turned off (which I only noticed because I couldn't SSH back in) and it refused to boot. I'd been meaning to replace the 8GB SD in it with a 64GB (supported by the pi according to the Wiki) so I wasn't too bothered but when I tried to load NOOBS 1.3.3 on the new 64GB card it refused to boot (in any of my Pis that I tried). I decided to just load Raspbian on it and that worked so I have to assume that NOOBS doesn't like the card. The first thing I tried to do was to install Cherokee on the Pi which went fine but as soon as I did it I couldn't install anything else, dpkg quits complaining about a configuration error in mysql and a conflict between mathkernel and Cherokee. I assume this is something to do with the new Mathematica and Wolfram language stuff in the latest Raspbian? If so how do I go about uninstalling it because I really don't need those on this Pi at the moment (it's my web and git development server) and I've lost 2ish days trying to get the Pi back up and running.

The errors I'm getting are:
insserv: there is a loop between service cherokee and mathkernel if stopped
insserv: loop involving service mathkernel at depth 2
insserv: loop involving service cherokee at depth 1

and during an apt-get install:
sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

edit: there seem to be a fair few previously working pis failing since the latest update (in the last few days) on the forum with similar problems to what I experienced. It might speak to a problem with the latest version of the firmware or OS?
by drentsoft » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:34 am
OK. So just removing the mathkernel startup script seeems to have fixed the problem for now but I'm still unclear why this conflict loop arose and why it would affect dpkg/apt-get more than Cherokee which was one of the conflicted packages.
by HashNinja » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:52 am
Removing mathkernel from startup boot fixed the problem I was having. Btw, I was trying to sudo update-rc.d a_program defaults and it was throwing me this error code
Code: Select all
update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
insserv: warning: script 'mathkernel' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: There is a loop between service rpc_shellinaboxd and mathkernel if sto  ped
insserv:  loop involving service mathkernel at depth 2
insserv:  loop involving service rpc_shellinaboxd at depth 1
insserv: Stopping mathkernel depends on rpc_shellinaboxd and therefore on syste   facility `$all' which can not be true!
insserv: exiting now without changing boot order!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header

Anyways, thanks.
by Richard-TX » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:23 am
Download the latest image and burn it to a SD card. I have had problems with the upgrade process and in the end I reimaged the SD card. I will likely never do an apt-get upgrade ever again.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip
by HashNinja » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:44 pm
Hey Richard, well the interesting thing is, I just got my RPi for christmas, so I installed raspbian around Dec.31. So the raspbian I currently use is the latest version that was released on Dec. 20, 2013. Yet, I still was encountering similar problems to the op involving mathkernel. This is just clarification so that everyone knows the problem is occurring on the latest raspbian image as well.
by mszablowski » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:24 pm
Hi everyone,
Everything was ok until I did apt-get upgrade ... did a huge problem because I lost access to the RPI. I'm using samba, dlna, bt ... I use only ssh connections. I made a new image 2013-12-20-wheezy-raspbian to the SD card then make the basic settings in raspi-config then rebooting RPI ... and after a reboot I do not have ssh access. I changed the name mathkernel on OLDmathkernel in /etc/init.d/. I did "update-rc.d remove mathkernel" and still can not login to ssh into RPI ... wtf?
Someone solved the problem?
I tried with other debian images but the kernels did not allow for overclocking ...
by DougieLawson » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:54 pm
Try
sudo apt-get remove wolfram*

It's part of Wolfram-Alpha and you can put it back later if you need it.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
by drentsoft » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:40 am
Thanks Dougie, I tried a couple of package names to try and apt-get remove but I couldn't quite get the right one. Wow that's a big ol' package, 429mb freed up :)
by mszablowski » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:31 pm
Thank you DougieLawson.
I did remove wolfram * and got rid of the mathkernel from /etc/init.d Unfortunately, I could not get connected to the ssh. I did apt-get purge ssh and then apt-get install openssh-* ... did not help. I noticed that the ssh service writes the message [OK] started but pid does not exist. As a result, in my solution there are two steps:
1 sudo update-rc.d -f ssh remove
2 write in /etc/rc.local
Code: Select all
_IP = $ (Hostname-I) | | true
if ["$ _IP"]; then
   printf "My IP address is %s\n" "$ _IP"
fi
   sleep 10
   /etc/init.d/ssh start
exit 0

Now it works :)

Update !!:
I made a few RPI reboot and ... damn ssh service starts as he wants. I came to the conclusion that the only one option is shellinabox ... very good tutorial is here: http://goo.gl/9mrxXT
Last edited by mszablowski on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by Hans Olo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:35 pm
I'm having a similiar issue with upgrading the distro with sudo apt-get upgrade. I can no longer mount my samba NAS drive on either of my pi's (one is running raspbmc). My other computers can connect to the drive just fine.

➜ ~ sudo mount -a
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
by drentsoft » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:57 pm
Hans Olo wrote:I'm having a similiar issue with upgrading the distro with sudo apt-get upgrade. I can no longer mount my samba NAS drive on either of my pi's (one is running raspbmc). My other computers can connect to the drive just fine.

➜ ~ sudo mount -a

I don't know if this'll help but might it be worth checking the user and group owners of the /mnt and or /media directories?
sudo ls -l /mnt && sudo ls -l /media
should do it. You might find that you've got some obscure owners that are stopping you doing things?
by RobHenry » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:22 pm
Hans Olo wrote:I'm having a similiar issue with upgrading the distro with sudo apt-get upgrade. I can no longer mount my samba NAS drive on either of my pi's (one is running raspbmc). My other computers can connect to the drive just fine.

➜ ~ sudo mount -a

I found that mount.cifs behaved differently after a recent update, although in my case it was reporting mount error(22): Invalid argument

If you try the mount with the -v option it should show all the arguments being passed so you can check if anything looks wrong. I fixed it be changing the format of the unc to add // on the front although it seems that your problem is different.

If you don't make any progress then post the result when using the -v option, along with the line from /etc/fstab that defines the mount.
by Michael_O » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:41 pm
I too have been having problems with the latest Raspbian using ssh and vnc to run pi's headless (with wifi). I can get a remote desktop running with vnc but after a few minutes the pi just freezes and the dongle goes off. I tried this with ethernet too and had the same problem - network dropped. I have tried reimaging the sd card with a fresh Raspbian from sept 25 and that works fine until I update. Bizarrely, there seems to be a power issue involved. I can run the pi off a battery pack (PQI Powerbank 7800) which delivers a solid 5V at 1A for hours with no problem but phone chargers that I have used for the last 18 months suddenly are no good. I am just now experimenting with another charger where I had failure after a few minutes with a 60cm lead but it has been working fine for two hours now with a short (10cm) power lead. Is this a red herring or is there any way something could be pulling more power or be more sensitive to the voltage? VNC does seem to be my problem and would be a terrible nuisance to lose the use of it.

The reason I went for a fresh Raspbian (dec 20) download is that I tried the experimental "web" browser before Christmas and it chewed up my system completely when I tried to use VNC. It was after I reported this in the comments that a note went on the blog warning of conflicts. Part of the work done to implement that browser is hardware acceleration of some sort and I believe this is part of the upgrade to Raspbian. Maybe this is where the problem lies.

I appreciate that most of this thread is by people who can make adjustments to their installation but I am not very familiar with linux and in any case what I want is a standard setup that works so that if I do an update or image a new card it will work without needing special configuration. I hope there is a simple solution.