adzyu100

Raspberry Pi Freezes in NOOBS

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi,

I recently got a Raspberry Pi for Christmas. I formatted my SD card (16GB) with the program in the quick start guide (and set format size adjustment to on), put NOOBS on the SD card, and plugged in my Raspberry Pi. I'm able to select the OS okay (I've always used Raspbian), but when it installs it, it keeps on freezing in the middle. I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 16gb card, and a power cable attached to a Blackberry charger. I really want to be able to start using my Raspberry Pi, but the OS never finishes installing.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi Freezes in NOOBS

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:01 pm

adzyu100 wrote:Hi,
I recently got a Raspberry Pi for Christmas. I formatted my SD card (16GB) with the program in the quick start guide (and set format size adjustment to on), put NOOBS on the SD card, and plugged in my Raspberry Pi. I'm able to select the OS okay (I've always used Raspbian), but when it installs it, it keeps on freezing in the middle. I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 16gb card, and a power cable attached to a Blackberry charger. I really want to be able to start using my Raspberry Pi, but the OS never finishes installing.
There have been problems in the past with SanDisk Ultra cards which were "fixed" within NOOB 1.3.2 (although it's possible that there's now a "new batch" of "problem" cards ???). However, the first thing to rule out is marginal PSU issues. What is the spec. of your Blackberry charger (at least 5V 1000mA)? Can you try it with a different connecting cable? If you have access to a multimeter can you measure the voltage between test points TP1 & TP2 (marked as such on the PCB)? Meanwhile, to give you some idea of what a 16Gb NOOBS install "looks-like" see: http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... lV132.html . Note also that, with larger cards, it can take 15 minutes or more for installation to complete.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

adzyu100

Re: Raspberry Pi Freezes in NOOBS

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:15 pm

Since NOOBS wasn't working, I tried directly writing Raspbian onto my SD card, and I was able to get it boot up to the raspi-config screen. Thanks anyway.

Return to “Troubleshooting”