skyrocketing

RPi freezes all devices (USB/LAN)

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:33 pm

This is a really strange issue that I've finally been able to pinpoint. Here's what happens: I turn on my RPi, and in a few minutes, all USB devices shut down, and if I have Ethernet plugged in, it loses connection. Now you may think my USB devices are drawing too much power, but they were in a verified powered USB hub. When I tried without a hub and just a mouse, the same thing happened. So then I tried without any USB device, just Ethernet, and still happened. After this, I think I may not be giving it enough power (somehow?), and I check. I am using a micro USB adapter with an output of 850 mA. (Also tried 600 mA), so now I'm at a loss. I'm willing to try anything.

redhawk

Re: RPi freezes all devices (USB/LAN)

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:25 am

The Pi requires a stable 5v some power supplies have a habit of dropping supply voltage when current usage increases and to be honest 850mA / 600mA is a little underwhelming.
I would recommend your try something with a little more kick at least 5v @ 1A which should provide better voltage output stability with current load.
As a quick test you could try powering the Pi using your PC or laptop USB port and see how long the LAN connection would last.

Richard S.

skyrocketing

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:41 am

redhawk wrote:The Pi requires a stable 5v some power supplies have a habit of dropping supply voltage when current usage increases and to be honest 850mA / 600mA is a little underwhelming.
I would recommend your try something with a little more kick at least 5v @ 1A which should provide better voltage output stability with current load.
As a quick test you could try powering the Pi using your PC or laptop USB port and see how long the LAN connection would last.

Richard S.
After I had posted this, I noticed my Nexus 7 adapter has an output of 5V @ 2A, so I tried that. Same result. I tried your suggestion using a USB port on my desktop, and it fared no better. This is really strange.

redhawk

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:17 am

In that case it sounds very much like you have a faulty Pi.
There have been reports of some rev2 boards with intermittent soldering joints on the SoC this isn't usually apparent until the chip starts to warm up.
You can fix it by baking your pi in the oven (no pun intended) there's a forum post somewhere that describes the procedure in more detail although personally I would sent it back for an exchange.

Richard S.

skyrocketing

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:25 pm

redhawk wrote:In that case it sounds very much like you have a faulty Pi.
There have been reports of some rev2 boards with intermittent soldering joints on the SoC this isn't usually apparent until the chip starts to warm up.
You can fix it by baking your pi in the oven (no pun intended) there's a forum post somewhere that describes the procedure in more detail although personally I would sent it back for an exchange.

Richard S.
I ordered the board almost exactly a year ago (I know, I haven't had the proper resources and time to try with it until now), so do you still think it's valid for return?

EDIT: As you probably expected, it is past the return date. Is there any chance you could find that post? I have been looking.

Return to “Troubleshooting”