Laughing Cricket Mad

Problem Booting

Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:19 pm

Help.

I am trying to set up a Pi for the first time and have followed the instructions carefully, however when I try and boot for the first time into a GUI an error message appears stating that there is 'insufficient memory' to boot the system.

I have read some of the previous posts and have reformatted the SD card to ensure that the whole card space is being used and everything seems fine (3.9 Gb available) but I still have the same problem. When the system boots up it just takes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the corner that seems to accept no commands at all.

Do I need to use an 8Gb SD Card? Since I bought the whole system as part of a kit through Rapid Electonics I am confused. :?

Laughing Cricket Mad

Re: Problem Booting

Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:41 pm

I just repeated installing Raspian using an 8gB sd card and now we are up and running. I guess it needed a bit more space to run Raspian as a gui. Does the new version of NOOBS now mean that the 4gB cards supplied with many kits are not big enough?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Problem Booting

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:20 pm

essentially yes, but the cards are often only a little bit too small.

The reason is that the compilers of noobs were a bit too optimistic on how much free space an average "4 GB" card would have. often removing some of the unused OS images is enough, just a few megabyte more is often all it takes.

Return to “Troubleshooting”